Any GWiz users out there...?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
Just got the new version for staging and airstarts....GWiz LCX.

I read that it can : " handle up to 4 stages. "

But I don't see anything in the info that mentions how it would do this...

Would it need reprograming?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Specifications: (Red features are new to the LCX )
• 3 Outputs:
o Pyro output 1 - Jumper select between Launch detect (for clusters) and Burnout detect (for staging)
o Pyro output 2 - Fires at Apogee detect. Inertial Apogee is standard, and used by default. Apogee detection based on Accelerometer data is not subject to problems with Mach transition. Apogee detection based on Barometric data works better in cases like strap-on boosters, where tumbling may occur.
o Pyro output 3 - Can be set to fire a number of seconds after inertial apogee (ARLISS mode).
 Fires at a configurable low altitude, defaults to 800’. Can be configured in range of 10 to 2550 feet or meters in 10 (foot or meter) increments.
o All Ouputs have optional timer with 1/8 sec resolution.
o Can handle up to 4 stages.
o If a timer is used on a stage output, and Apogee is detected before the timer ends, the output will be inhibited as a safety feature.
• Status Beeper shows readiness at launch, and maximum altitude upon landing, Pyro Battery level and continuity of each output.
• Altitude is Barometric based.
• Barometric sensor accurate to over 70,000’
• Metric or English Altitude readout and specification.
• Analog to Digital converter reads accelerometer and barometric sensors to 10 bit precision.
• High performance RISC processor uses proprietary techniques to calculate altitude properly. It does not rely on linear simplifications, but follows atmospheric pressure to altitude models very closely.
• High current FET driven pyro outputs are capable of delivering up to 4 amps for a full second, on the cluster / stage output, and 5 amps one the other 2 outputs.
• Available in 50g (Standard), 100g versions available.
• Uses 2 batteries to ensure that the battery driving the pyro output does not interfere with the computer.
• Low current jumper provided allowing one-battery use.
• Positive retention header is standard.
• Configured by default to work like the LCD. Optional USB or Serial card required to configure options. Flight View used to configure.
• Unit dimensions: 3.9” x 0.7”

Just got the new version for staging and airstarts....GWiz LCX.

I read that it can : " handle up to 4 stages. "

But I don't see anything in the info that mentions how it would do this...

Would it need reprograming?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Specifications: (Red features are new to the LCX )
• 3 Outputs:
o Pyro output 1 - Jumper select between Launch detect (for clusters) and Burnout detect (for staging)
o Pyro output 2 - Fires at Apogee detect. Inertial Apogee is standard, and used by default. Apogee detection based on Accelerometer data is not subject to problems with Mach transition. Apogee detection based on Barometric data works better in cases like strap-on boosters, where tumbling may occur.
o Pyro output 3 - Can be set to fire a number of seconds after inertial apogee (ARLISS mode).
 Fires at a configurable low altitude, defaults to 800’. Can be configured in range of 10 to 2550 feet or meters in 10 (foot or meter) increments.
o All Ouputs have optional timer with 1/8 sec resolution.
o Can handle up to 4 stages.
o If a timer is used on a stage output, and Apogee is detected before the timer ends, the output will be inhibited as a safety feature.
• Status Beeper shows readiness at launch, and maximum altitude upon landing, Pyro Battery level and continuity of each output.
• Altitude is Barometric based.
• Barometric sensor accurate to over 70,000’
• Metric or English Altitude readout and specification.
• Analog to Digital converter reads accelerometer and barometric sensors to 10 bit precision.
• High performance RISC processor uses proprietary techniques to calculate altitude properly. It does not rely on linear simplifications, but follows atmospheric pressure to altitude models very closely.
• High current FET driven pyro outputs are capable of delivering up to 4 amps for a full second, on the cluster / stage output, and 5 amps one the other 2 outputs.
• Available in 50g (Standard), 100g versions available.
• Uses 2 batteries to ensure that the battery driving the pyro output does not interfere with the computer.
• Low current jumper provided allowing one-battery use.
• Positive retention header is standard.
• Configured by default to work like the LCD. Optional USB or Serial card required to configure options. Flight View used to configure.
• Unit dimensions: 3.9” x 0.7”
I don't have my manual in front of me but if I remember correctly everything is programmable with the included software. I flew mine twice at LDRS and it worked perfect both times using it for basic dual deployment. I did run into a snag after the first flight because I had forgotten that to access the flight data I had to remove the memory card from the unit, put that into my laptop and then open the file with the program.

I kept trying to download the data straight from the flight computer like I do with my ARTS2.

Andrew Grippo

I have a LCX also. Coulpe things to note. It must use two batteries. If you use one battery, you only get apogee deployment (dual deploy does not work). Also, the Altitude given is always 2x what it actually is. Software says its not calibrated, I went through the calibration sequence numerous times. Not sure if this is normal for the LCX, but this is the second one I tried and it does the same thing.

They must be suffering from the same thing the MC2's were.
I had trouble getting the bench tests to run the MC2.
I e-mailed G-Wiz & they said you have to have the latest version of the software; Version 2.9. Once I did that everything fell into place & works as it should. I have yet to fly it , but also worked out the battery voltage problem as well.

JD

I have a LCX also. Also, the Altitude given is always 2x what it actually is. Software says its not calibrated, I went through the calibration sequence numerous times. Not sure if this is normal for the LCX, but this is the second one I tried and it does the same thing.

I had a problem with my LCX in altitude reporting as well. It wasn't even close; it would give altitudes that were unrealistic and varied. Using the same motor and rocket one day would give 700ft and another 6000ft. I wrote to GWiz and apparently there was a problem with the Firmware. I sent the unit back for a firmware update and about 2 weeks later got it back. I used it last weekend for the first time since the update and the altitude reporting now seems to be accurate. Perhaps your unit is plagued by the same problem.

For a while, LCX's had an error in the firmware that caused the altitude to be reported wrong. Either that, or maybe I did fly to 118,000 once. I hope they got this fixed, because I won an LCX in the LDRS Mach Madness contest. Woohoo!

Jim

Thanks for all the replies....

I got my LCX from a well known vendor - on the East Coast.

Don't think I got any software....just the Altimeter.

I think I am supposed to download the user manual...I got a tech sheet.

So....looks like I might have an altitutde read out problem?

But I should be safe otherwise as I always use two batterries...but I would like to stage and airstart.

Back