Any Good Paper Airplanes To Make???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
When I was a Kid, I used to have some Books about making Paper Airplanes. I would use whatever Paper I could find, to include Cardstock and Oragami Papers. Now that I'm older, and have a nice Package of 110# Cardstock, it would maybe be fun to make some Paper Airplanes. I remember that some of them I made actually were fairly Complex desings with Paperclips for Nose Weight and forward Canards. My Books are still at my Moms House in her Library, so does anyone have any Paper Airplane Plans or maybe a Youtube Video? I'm going there now to see what's up in the World of cool Paper Airplanes.:horse:

Oh good! It looks like their are lots of Videos and stuff!!!

[video=youtube;_WnAsrh3XvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnAsrh3XvQ[/video]

And look at this Video! This guys Airplane flies forever, as long as the Rangetop is turned on.

[video=youtube;t2sozrof3HY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY[/video]

This was my master when I was a kid. Somewhere I have his book, or at least I hope I still do.

This plane he designed is really a true glider.

https://howardfink.com/?p=66

That one looks fun. I printed out one of the Mitsubishi Zeros on the Cardstock. I'm not going to try to make it anything Special, just my first Foray into Cardstock Modeling. Kinda' need a break from the Rockets since it's Winter, and everything Rocketry involves Sanding. That means I like to do it outside. I don't think I'll need to do much sanding on a Paper Plane.

Unfortunately, I just discovered Evidence of an Intruder. This is so going to distract me from Rockets. I'm kinda' Combative.
Another Human Being has been in my House when I was walking my Dog. How $%$%$fed up is that. Nothing Important was taken, but one of my Cameras was Taken, so it looks like it's gonna' get personal and it won't hurt me to talk about it. I really hate the whole thing.
My Cell Phone was also taken.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I just discovered Evidence of an Intruder. This is so going to distract me from Rockets. I'm kinda' Combative.
Another Human Being has been in my House when I was walking my Dog. How $%$%$fed up is that. Nothing Important was taken, but one of my Cameras was Taken, so it looks like it's gonna' get personal and it won't hurt me to talk about it. I really hate the whole thing.

If you have Enough Cameras....

You get used to a good Robbing out here in the Country. Make sure you have many Wells to dump the Garbage in.

Peter Vollheim (https://www.thepaperpilot.com/index.html) has some books I grew up on. I don't remember if I have two or three of the books, but there are some nice designs that use cardstock. I'm not affiliated, but I made hundreds of these as a kid and the bindings are now pretty much shot. ;)

Doug

Well, That sucks. I've had the same problem in the past. Got broken in three times in one year back in Ga. Then came Sammy, No more problems ever since--10 years now--She's a wolf pyrenees mix and looks like a golden on steroids. Long story short the problem has never happened again. She seems to have an influence on ne'er do wells. We got The Digger--the black one--to keep her company when we are not home and that's worked out great! We walk them separately. Sammy has a pack mentality and we got invited into the pack. That, along with the guard influence of the pyrenees makes her a bit--hmmm--intimidating to folks she does'nt know---once your in the pack--your golden. And yea, they sleep with us-----100_0615.jpg100_0636.jpg100_0637.jpg

I am really sorry to hear about this. Hope it all fares out for the better (as in a little bit of Justice).

Here you go!

https://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/airplanes/

I have made all 6 of the WWII Pacific "dime" planes and they fly pretty good.

I just finished the Japanese Zero this evening! I printed it out on 110# Cardstock and it turned out to be a nice little Model. I see more Cardstock Planes in my Future. Felt pretty good when I checked the Trim on the Wings, then sent it for it's first Flight. These little Gliders do fly really Nice. I also thought it was cool how you use a Dime for the Noseweight.
I'de share a Picture but my Camera was stolen, so no Picture.
I wish it was nice out with no Snow so I could see how far she can fly. Crashing her into the Couch for Test Flights is kinda' lame, and gets old after three or four Throws.
I buggered up the Canopy part at first, but had actually printed two Sets of Cardstocks in advance, as I correctly assumed that I would likley botch something and need a Replacement.
I used Crazy Glue and Titebond III for construction.
When I got done, I used a .05mm Mechanical Pencil with its Lead extended extra far to apply Rivets, but they dried to be so small that they are hard to notice. Maybe a little Testors Paint? We'll see.
I have a new Hobby now.

Last edited:

Those look like something I will build in the Spring/Summer to fly for Distance. Thanks for sharing, as I can always just come back to this Thread for Paper Airplane Builds.

I was looking at the one i made today, and started wondering if folks ever build the small Cardstock Airplane like it to launch with those Micro-Max Motors.

Sorry for the incredibly crappy Pics', but my decent Camera was Stolen, so I had to use my Keychain Camera.
As you can see, I used some Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty to get the Windscreen nice and smooth so you can't see or feel the Seams. Also used it around the Nosecone.
I'm going to paint over the Bondo with Testors Paints to make it look nice.

Last edited:
Sorry for the incredibly crappy Pics', but my decent Camera was Stolen, so I had to use my Keychain Camera.
As you can see, I used some Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty to get the Windscreen nice and smoot so you can't see or feel the Seams. Also used it around the Nosecone.
I'm going to paint over the Bondo with Testors Paints to make it look nice.
OK...Well if these are the kind of model plane you want to built you need to check this site, I'm sure with a little creativity the planes offered here could be built with some sort of propulsion.

https://www.ecardmodels.com/

Here is a another great source for this type of building...check out the air craft catagory..
https://www.papermodelers.com/

Last edited:
I have another good Question. Can Cardstock Models like the A6M5 Zero that I made be constructed with a Lug to allow them to Launch via Rubberband?
My Engine Compartment on my Zero that I built is reinforced with Tissue Paper and Super Glue, as well as the Pointy Nose Cone. This in my mind served me two Purposes. First off, the Nose is always going to land first under usual conditions, and second, this will ensure that the Dime never jostles out of Position after said multiple Nose Dives.
In Theory, this Construction Method could also be utilized as reinforcement for the mounting of a Launch Lug. In the Model I built, there is also a Radiator Cowl on the underside of the Model that could be similarly filled for strength where the Lug would enter the Fuselage.

Now, before the Stability Nazis chime in, remember that on a Model Airplane, you have Variable Control Surfaces such as the Alerions and Elevators that can manage the effects of balancing the Weight Distribution from the front to rear of the Model.
I recognize that more weight means shorter distances of flight, but being able to Rubberband Launch them at consistant Velocities and Angles would overcome the Limitations of launching them by Hand.

I'm going to try it on my next Model.

When I was young we had some awesome Styrofoam Planes that launched via Rubberband, and that is why I am inspired to attempt this. If it works, I will do a Thread detailing my Construction Methods and Results.

I'll appreciate any Responses to this Question, but I've already made up my Mind to try it, as it gives me an Excuse to build my Planes like I build my Rockets. Overbuild or nothing.

A thought just occured to me about the weight of a Launch Lug. It could be Attached to the Rubberband, rather than the Plane, which could simply employ a Piece of wire or Fishing Line to mate up to it.

Then, I came up with a great way to Launch Rockets using a Sling Shot Rubberband and Rail. The Rocket would have a Switch attached to a Piece of Fishing Line. The initial "Boost Launch" would be via the Rubberband, getting the Rocket to whatever Hight and Velocity were deamed safe/stable enough to Airstart, at which point the Line would run out, triggering the switch to Ignite the Motor.
I'm thinking 200 Yard Water Ballon Slingshot Rubbers would work Nicely for handling the Weight of a Model Rocket. It would be like having a Reusable First Stage Booster motor that was free, as the bands last forever. Around here we used to use them not for water Ballons, but for Snowballs. A tightly packed Snowball weighs considerably more than most Model Rockets.
I'm already tinkering with my Plane Idea with a short piece of Rail.

Last edited:
My Cell Phone was also taken.

At least it wasn't an alien

At least it wasn't an alien

Nope, it was a Punk who's name I now know. I was the Victim of a String of Burglaries, it was not personal.
I went and investigated it myself, and gave the appropriate info to the Trooper who is investigating it. Living in a Town of only 1100 is a good thing, as there is a lot of Gossip. My stuff may be gone, but atleast I now know the Thiefs Name, and the Staties are on top of it.
It was actually someone I suspected who "Dropped the Dime" so to speak, about who really did it.
The Person I suspected knows better than to risk ^%#@$! with me, and they did'nt tell me directly, but they slipped up and told someone who tells me everything that said Person tried to sell them my Camera on Friday. Just a matter of Time now.
My Spirit is restored, as nobody that knows me would dare Cross me, even someone dumb enough to be a Thief. When I though it was a Personal Attack, it was very disturbing and I felt Violated and Vindicative. Now, that it's nothing Personal, and multiple other People were Victims of this little Burglary Spree, I'm happy about the thing.

Also, the whole Experience gives me the ample Motivation and Justification to finally dump some money on a DVR for my 2 Security Cameras, which currently are plagged only into my TV, which does no good if nobody is home and on Input Channel 1 or 2.
I knida' though just having them up would be a Deterrant, but even my Friends don't even notice they are there, so why should a Cat Burgler?
Atleast he did'nt steal my Cats!
I am going to get a DVR that comes with 4 Cameras, so I can get rid of the cheap Harbor Frieght ones. Also, since I have Guns in the Home, I'm going to reinforce my Doors and do an overall Security Assessment next Month. My Mom said that as my Christmas Present, she'll chip in and help me out. It's a Shame I have to do this at all, but these are the Days in Which we live. I won't get Political, but I'de like too.
New Project! Can't wait.

Last edited:
Sorry about your break in. I don't know about using card stock, but for me, the most awesome paper airplane book is "The Klutz Book of Paper Airplanes." These are pretty easy to make, and fly amazingly. There are detailed instructions for 10 different designs. The book comes with cool paper. If you run out, you can buy more from Klutz (Palo Alto, Ca). Or you can just use printer paper (used, ready to recycle is excellent). We have built hundreds of these planes over the years. Most fun I've ever had with paper airplanes. I have used them in Cub Scout groups for a number of years.

Here you go!

https://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/airplanes/

I have made all 6 of the WWII Pacific "dime" planes and they fly pretty good.

I just realized that I Printed those too small. I can't figure out how to print them the right size, so I ended up with a Miniature Plane and some Prints that are too small.:facepalm:
I did'nt realize this with the first one, the Zero, because I did'nt really notice the Tab to mount the Dime to. Now, I was prining the P40, and realized that a Dime is much larger than the place where you are supposed to mount it.
Frustrated! I really felt like making a Plane right now.

I took the Zero and poked a Needle Hole throught the Canopy at the Planes CG. Then I tied a Double Knot in a piece of sewing thread and poked it into the Hole, followed by some Crazy Glue. Now, instead of being a flying Model, she will simply hang as a display.
I'll have to figure our how to get the Prints to enlarge by about 25%. Printing them directly from the provided PDF Files makes them come out undersized.

Last edited:
And look at this Video! This guys Airplane flies forever, as long as the Rangetop is turned on.

[video=youtube;t2sozrof3HY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2sozrof3HY[/video]

I see a segment in Mythbusters with this...

I just realized that I Printed those too small. I can't figure out how to print them the right size...
I'll have to figure our how to get the Prints to enlarge by about 25%. Printing them directly from the provided PDF Files makes them come out undersized.
There should be an option when you click print that says "print actual size" or something like that depending on which version of Adobe Reader you are using.

I see. I had to go into my Files to print it to "Fit to Page". Printing it directly from the Website did not allow me to change the Size.
Ought to be easier to build this P40 than the Zero was, seeing as how everything is 21% larger.

Thanks BobH48

Back