Another Joe Bernard and Thrust Vectoring Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
But seriously, why didn't BPS Space keep producing / distributing the Signal R2 TVC Kit? I mean, you can still download and 3-D print the TVC mount, but without the SW / Signal R2 TVC Kit, what good is that? Anyone have any insight / insider information? HELP!

Last edited:
Guessing that Joe didn't have the time to kit them... trust me, it takes a lot of time.
I am sure that is a big part of it -- no doubt. But knowing how much demand there is, wouldn't it make sense to talk to someone like you that could put the kits together? I mean, it's not like there is a competing product out there.

Because designing and building things is fun.

Doing customer support is kinda the opposite of fun. My guess is that there would be a lot of unfun work supporting this particular product.

People demand a lot of things...... Doesn't mean someone has to supply them.

I expect that the intellectual property value of the software (that took years to develop) to run that system is worth far more than the profit from selling even a few hundred systems. That won't be given away for free, and the flight computer is useless without it.

The only real use of this toy other than personal satisfaction would be posting videos of the results to the internet, which would be in direct competition with his business model.

I am sure that is a big part of it -- no doubt. But knowing how much demand there is, wouldn't it make sense to talk to someone like you that could put the kits together? I mean, it's not like there is a competing product out there.

Is there a demand?

Plus, Joe seems busy doing dumb stuff with Xyla.

Is there a demand?

Plus, Joe seems busy doing dumb stuff with Xyla.
Come on, that's ridiculous. He works with her on occasion but he seems plenty well occupied doing his own stuff.

To echo others, actually sustaining a business selling very complex stuff that requires a lot of support effort is a path he is choosing not to take right now, probably after seeing what it was like for a while. I don't blame him.
I havn't even looked at the Xyla stuff...from the few posts here, it seems like a mess.
The latest video (skeleton launch) is indeed kind of a mess.... but her earlier rocket vids are quite good.

I wonder if you could make a arduino do all that?

My goals are modest, I want the rocket to go straight up. There are Arduino based autopilots for drones and a clever programmer could certainly modify one for this application, or even TVC probably. I am a mechanical guy, so I am not a clever programmer. I am working on someone at work to do it for me though. 🤓

It is a little frustrating to know that AVA can do what I want but is not available. That's life.

My goals are modest, I want the rocket to go straight up. There are Arduino based autopilots for drones and a clever programmer could certainly modify one for this application, or even TVC probably. I am a mechanical guy, so I am not a clever programmer. I am working on someone at work to do it for me though. 🤓

It is a little frustrating to know that AVA can do what I want but is not available. That's life.
If you get it working will you give it to us (unlike joe).

Really? I would have thought that most everyone that does scratch builds would want to try it at least once just for the novelty of it.
I build a ton of rockets. From 1/2As to N motors. Kits and scratch builds. Thrust vectoring is never anything I had/have interest in. All the large events and club launches I go to, I think Ive heard it talked about once by a school team over the years.

I build a ton of rockets. From 1/2As to N motors. Kits and scratch builds. Thrust vectoring is never anything I had/have interest in. All the large events and club launches I go to, I think Ive heard it talked about once by a school team over the years.
What if you just had to do it like a standard MM.

What if you just had to do it like a standard MM.
You mean assembly as simple as a Standard Motor mount? Still no interest. Don’t want to deal with the complexity of the programming and setup. If I am going to add electronics in the aft-end, its going to be for staging and Ill let fins do the guidance with an airframe built straight and true.

You mean assembly as simple as a Standard Motor mount? Still no interest. Don’t want to deal with the complexity of the programming and setup. If I am going to add electronics in the aft-end, its going to be for staging and Ill let fins do the guidance with an airframe built straight and true.
Understood. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
For me it just didn't look interesting because of cost and I don't have access to a 3D printer, the boost altitude wasn't very high and many times tumbled as soon as the motor burn was done. It just doesn't seem like it was at the point where it was really generally viable it's viable for very specific conditions and airframes.

TVC would be useful for scale models of modern launch vehicles, nearly none of which have fins. The Venn diagram of serious scale modelers and people who enjoy tinkering with and programming embedded computers has - I suspect - a pretty small overlap. A commercial system that's usable more or less off the shelf might be a viable product, but the more tinkering required, the smaller market it would have.

TVC would be useful for scale models of modern launch vehicles, nearly none of which have fins. The Venn diagram of serious scale modelers and people who enjoy tinkering with and programming embedded computers has - I suspect - a pretty small overlap. A commercial system that's usable more or less off the shelf might be a viable product, but the more tinkering required, the smaller market it would have.
That is what I was thinking a Arduino would just be copy paste of the code and enter the mass and CG,CP all stuff you get from a standard sim.

Really? I would have thought that most everyone that does scratch builds would want to try it at least once just for the novelty of it.
Gimballing is just too inefficient when good old power, nose weight and creativity with canting and motor placement can do the same thing much better in most model rocket applications. Gimballing is a very limited application, maybe fitting with some sports scale or exotic oddroc models. It is expensive, complicated (weight on bottom of rocket bad!) and there are very few long burn motors with the required thrust necessary to produce results fitting with the TASTES of the modern rocketry community. Everyone at the launch chats once about the powered landing video and then pulls out their awesome 3-4FNC high power birds!

Some "real" rocket technologies don't scale down well... TVC is one of them, primarily due to the low burn time of most hobby rocketry motors. If your goal is to keep the nose in the "up" direction, there are other ways to actively do that. I know people that have been working on it for awhile... it ain't all that easy.

Some "real" rocket technologies don't scale down well... TVC is one of them, primarily due to the low burn time of most hobby rocketry motors. If your goal is to keep the nose in the "up" direction, there are other ways to actively do that. I know people that have been working on it for awhile... it ain't all that easy.
Gimballing an entire solid motor isn't "real" (as in utilised by the pros) rocket technology anyway. That will always be a visually cool looking gimmick whose appeal is centred around You Tube likes or engineering curiosities. I'm not even sure how much of that learned knowledge can be transferred over to more practical forms of TVC?

TP

Back