Another Car Thread: Fix it or replace it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you fix and keep the car, this is probably too late for this car, but I've put Slick50 in every car I've owned since 1982. All were American cars, all were 100K+ miles and most were 150K+ miles when I got rid of them. I never had an internal, oiled engine part fail in any of the cars. Not even a bad valve or stuck lifter.

The first time I used it in 1982, the instructions said to change oil and filter, add three quarts oil, start engine, pour in the Slick50, pour in the last quart of oil and drive for 30 minutes. I followed the instructions and the 350ci in my Chevelle was idling at 900 RPM in park. As I poured the Slick50 in, the idle speed went up to 1,700 RPM from the reduced fiction. On the highway with the cruise control on, the mileage went from 19.6 to 22.1 MPG. It stayed at that 22.1 MPH for the next 50,000 miles.

I have found that new cars with the computer controls show only a slight mileage improvement, if any. Where I see the friction reduction of the Slick50 is on the temp gauge. When driving to work, instead of being near operating temp when I get on the highway, now I have to drive and additional 3-4 miles at highway speed before it gets up to operating temp.

I know people will say the stuff doesn't work, but my experience says it does. It won't help the tranny, axles, or other parts, but it will keep the engine running great. I had a lot of problems with the cars over the years, but I never had engine issues.

The timing chain on my car rides over guides and tensioners that are made of plastic. The plastic wears down eventually causing the chain to scrape/ride over a metallic surface. I don't think any lubricant will help at this point. I've got 198k miles on a motor that has never had its valve cover removed. I think I'm facing the inevitable. I appreciate the suggestion though.

I'm sure there's nothing that can be done now, but you might be surprised at what the Slick50 can do to increase the life of even the plastic parts.

If you do decide to try it on another car, make sure it has at least 10K miles on it. IIRC the label says 8K, but I would recommend 12 - 15k miles before you use it. If you use it before that, it will prevent the rings from wearing and seating properly.

Ok, I found a Nissan mechanic (formerly a dealership mechanic) that pretty much has a passion for Nissan everything. His estimate is $850 which is a bit lower than the other 2 quotes I got. His guarantee is 12 months or 12k miles using genuine Nissan parts. It's not exactly $600, but it's certainly not $1100-$1400. I think I might take the hit and get it fixed. I'm hoping to buy another 6-8 months of transportation. I'm also in the process of selling my house. If I can manage to do that in 3 months I'll be in great shape.

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted.

FYI - Before photography, before rockets, and before golf, believe it or not this car was my hobby. I've got a sentimental attachment to this car much like a lot of you guys do in your higher priced HPR projects or LPR collectables. I guess I could have disclosed that from day 1 of this thread, but was looking for unbiased advice. :D

Back