Wet sanding, Compounding, Polishing...discussion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am comfortable on round things like tubes, no problems there. I sand round shapes very often. For a (larger) nose cone, the Trizact discs will work fine, as they will give some curvature and softness to where the point of contact, but for the first grits, folded paper by hand is best, or with a thin flexible hard foam block. Anything too soft or flexible for the initial flattening will just follow the micro contours (orange peel, etc) For larger tubes, the 3000 Trizact rocks. Try it. Wet, and after 1000-2000 paper. Prepare to be amazed. Get out your electric sander, a spray bottle, and go for it. Just enough water to keep it wet. It hardly takes any, and the drop of soap will keep it foamy and well wetted. Oh, and I guess that I should clarify that if this was 54mm, It would all be by hand, except for the 3000 on the DA or orbital. Then, prepare a clean, padded workplace, and roll it around, keep the sander moving. Onece you are at the point of using the foam backed 3000 discs, burn throughs should not be an issue, with care of course.

I have many thousands of hours of professional sanding experience, so YMMV.
If you do not have an orbital sander already, you might not want ot go buy one, as there is a learning curve to sanding round, and the ergonomics of electric sanders are mostly not as good as the pneumatic DA's. If you are good with your orbital, go for it. Jump in.

Back