Am I using aerofinsim lite correctly?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iamtannorv

Reaction score
So, in the process of scratching my "I wanna do rocket stuff" itch, while waiting for my wildman blackhawk 38 to arrive, I pulled up the rocksim file to get some fin specs, and ran them through AeroFinSimLite, and it gave me a flutter velocity of approx mach 1.75 and divergence velocity of mach 1.81 at 3k ft ASL. I wanted to really push this rocket on some insane flights after a couple tamer low and slow shakedown flights, so I wanted to check flutter velocity etc to know if I should be T2T glassing it or not.1639492975114.png
These are all the settings I am using for the program, just wanted someone more experienced with the program to double check my work and make sure i'm doing this right. I am using NACA TN 4197 for the CN-alpha method, as both the classical and barrowman method gave me a flutter velocity higher than my divergence velocity, which seemed inaccurate.

Can't help you on FinSim, but I have flown my BH38 on a few 6XL motors (to maybe M1.5, iirc) with just good RocketPoxy fillets. I don't think T2T is required. These fins are tough.

Back