Aluminum 98mm minimum diameter fincan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexzogh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

I ordered an aluminum welded 98mm (99mm ID to fit over a 98mm motor) minimum diameter fincan from Frank De Brouwer at Rebel Space in the Netherlands earlier in the summer, and had almost forgotten about it. I have always been impressed with his builds (Miss Riley, Flying Dutchman) so I ordered it sight unseen. My success rate of buying things online without ever seeing them is about 50%, but this purchase has exceeded my expectations in every way. The workmanship is spectacular! Weld lines are perfect, with beveled edges on the fins, and what looks like a sight airfoil. He obviously used a fine grit polish, as the end result looks like a #4 architectural finish to me. Thank you Frank!

OMG, that's beautiful!!! Hopefully I'll never need one (unless I hit the lottery) but that doesn't mean I don't WANT one! Very Nice! Tuned in for the rest of the bird!

OMG, that's beautiful!!! Hopefully I'll never need one (unless I hit the lottery) but that doesn't mean I don't WANT one! Very Nice! Tuned in for the rest of the bird!

LOL! That's exactly what I was going to say!!!! The "OMG, that's beautiful" part.

Alex
I remember Frank's post on the fin cans but if I may ask what did he charge for that very nice work?
GP

oooooh aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh...

That's purdy!

Last edited:

I ordered an aluminum welded 98mm (99mm ID to fit over a 98mm motor) minimum diameter fincan from Frank De Brouwer at Rebel Space in the Netherlands earlier in the summer, and had almost forgotten about it. I have always been impressed with his builds (Miss Riley, Flying Dutchman) so I ordered it sight unseen. My success rate of buying things online without ever seeing them is about 50%, but this purchase has exceeded my expectations in every way. The workmanship is spectacular! Weld lines are perfect, with beveled edges on the fins, and what looks like a sight airfoil. He obviously used a fine grit polish, as the end result looks like a #4 architectural finish to me. Thank you Frank!

Shiny! How much does it weigh?

Alex, that's beautiful!

I strongly considered buying one when Frank posted, but refrained because there's already too much on the plate and I'm not planning any (other) 98mm minimum diameter ships any time soon.

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with that thing; and maybe seeing it in person at Da Bong (if I can ever get there again!).

-Eric-

Happy to bring this to MWP, but I don't plan on flying it.

This will be for a balls project next year. I've really been getting into 3d printing the last year few years and plan on printing a two stage minimum diameter rocket. I've been playing with a few new filament formulations that have incredible strength to weight, and heat resistance properties (ULTEM variations). I'm in the process of building a homemade delta type printer that can build structures up to 12" diameter, and a few feet high. I'll post photo's once I finish the printer and start to build some test structures. Given how brutal the N5800 has been on traditional structures, I didn't want my first large minimum diameter printed rocket to be testing free fins too....

I've also been working on a workflow to go from rocksim to slic3r. Currently a rube golderg process. Output 3ds sections from rocksim, input into autodesk inventor. Output stl from inventor, input into netfabb. repair mesh in netfabb, and output to "willitprint". If everything's ok, I input stl into slic3r and output Goode to print. has anyone had success reducing the number of steps? I'm guessing inventor is the weak link as it's stl files are often not watertight.

What exactly are you going to be printing?

Is this FDM printing, or one of the newer fancier technologies that get up there with injection molding for strength?

I have one of these 98mm minimum diameter aluminum fincan from Rebel Space as well for my Cesaroni 98mm 6XL motor after Frank showed me the prototype. I’m thinking of flying it as a minimum diameter rocket on a O3400. I completely agree with you for your description of the quality and finishing as mine looks exactly the same. My fincan weights 1920grams. It is very sturdy and I think this is the way forward with all 98mm minimum diameter flights. Why gamble a $2.000,- motor & reload on a carbon fiber lay up if you can get an aluminum fin can. The reason I got one of these fincans is that I saw many minimum rockets fails with a composite lay up. I don’t get around launching many of these rockets because you can’t launch them in Europa and the costs of a motor & reload so I better make it the first time right.

I took some measurements and was deeply impressed of the workmanship – not only because it is shiny; that’s the easy part. ID is 99,00mm exactly on my digital caliper – ID must have been machined after welding. No distortion at all. It slides really easy over the Cesaroni 98mm 6XL casing (OD 98,55mm) with very little play. I think I’ll just JB weld it to the casing. The fin can also has some sort of shoulder on which a body tube could be supported. I’m not sure how to describe this better but I took a picture of it with a piece of phenolic tube. I think I will not use that feature and use some JB Weld to make it flush with the casing.

The first thing I thought of when looking at the fins they could be used for the Gillette commercial with the razor blade animation. They are that sharp, I also tried to take a picture from it with my phone but it does not do justice to how sharp and true these leading edges are. Fin shape and size / look-n-feel a bit like a combination of Mongoose 98mm fins and the “Don’t Debate This” rocket from Mike Passeratti.

I took a part of another rocket just to have a feel how this rocket would look like and added some piuctures. Don't mind the greasy fingerstains on the fincan. I'm not sure yet whether to paint this fincan my usual fluorescent orange color or leave it shiny like this. Some time ago I tracked an all-aluminum rocket all the way up to apogee because it was glinting and really stood out against a clear blue sky.

Anybody else got one of these flying at BALLS this year? I like mine a lot and maybe see you at BALLS 2014.

IMG-20130905-00003.jpg

IMG-20130905-00004.jpg

IMG-20130905-00005.jpg

IMG-20130905-00006.jpg

IMG-20130905-00007.jpg

IMG-20130905-00008.jpg

I have one of these 98mm minimum diameter aluminum fincan from Rebel Space as well for my Cesaroni 98mm 6XL motor after Frank showed me the prototype. I’m thinking of flying it as a minimum diameter rocket on a O3400. I completely agree with you for your description of the quality and finishing as mine looks exactly the same. My fincan weights 1920grams. It is very sturdy and I think this is the way forward with all 98mm minimum diameter flights. Why gamble a $2.000,- motor & reload on a carbon fiber lay up if you can get an aluminum fin can. The reason I got one of these fincans is that I saw many minimum rockets fails with a composite lay up. I don’t get around launching many of these rockets because you can’t launch them in Europa and the costs of a motor & reload so I better make it the first time right.

I took some measurements and was deeply impressed of the workmanship – not only because it is shiny; that’s the easy part. ID is 99,00mm exactly on my digital caliper – ID must have been machined after welding. No distortion at all. It slides really easy over the Cesaroni 98mm 6XL casing (OD 98,55mm) with very little play. I think I’ll just JB weld it to the casing. The fin can also has some sort of shoulder on which a body tube could be supported. I’m not sure how to describe this better but I took a picture of it with a piece of phenolic tube. I think I will not use that feature and use some JB Weld to make it flush with the casing.

The first thing I thought of when looking at the fins they could be used for the Gillette commercial with the razor blade animation. They are that sharp, I also tried to take a picture from it with my phone but it does not do justice to how sharp and true these leading edges are. Fin shape and size / look-n-feel a bit like a combination of Mongoose 98mm fins and the “Don’t Debate This” rocket from Mike Passeratti.

I took a part of another rocket just to have a feel how this rocket would look like and added some piuctures. Don't mind the greasy fingerstains on the fincan. I'm not sure yet whether to paint this fincan my usual fluorescent orange color or leave it shiny like this. Some time ago I tracked an all-aluminum rocket all the way up to apogee because it was glinting and really stood out against a clear blue sky.

Anybody else got one of these flying at BALLS this year? I like mine a lot and maybe see you at BALLS 2014.

2 kilograms?!?!? How thick is the tubing?

You should make sure you've got pleeeeenty of stability margin, as CCotner and I learned from Bare Necessities, which had a much, much, much lighter aluminum fincan (which survived going sideways at M3.7, BTW).

CarVac: I'm going to try and print as much as possible..... I'll let the data tell me what isn't up to snuff. Modified FDM w/ laser sintering. Basically FDM at very high temperature (> 300C).

jurriaanvdb: You might want to consider a more traditional method of using a minimum diameter fincan vs. JB'ing it to the case which limits your ability to use the case (and limits the cases you can use the fincan with). Basically, you Chamfer the inside of your booster to the same angle as the top of the fincan so they connect seamlessly. You then use a threaded rod from your tapped forward closure into a secured bulkhead in your booster. bolt in the rod, and the pressure will keep everything together nice and snug. You could also just buy Aeropac's minimum diameter motor retention system (here: https://aeropack.net/min_dia_retainers.asp) which acomplishes the same task.

I will weigh my fincan tonight, as it certainly didn't feel like 4 lbs.

jurriaanvdb: You might want to consider a more traditional method of using a minimum diameter fincan vs. JB'ing it to the case which limits your ability to use the case (and limits the cases you can use the fincan with).

No need for something that elaborate; just shove it onto the case over some shims so it's tight.

No need for something that elaborate; just shove it onto the case over some shims so it's tight.

Still need a solution for motor retention, and a way to keep the sustainer and case-booster together during launch. Threaded rod is a tried and true method that isn't as elaborate as it sounds.

Still need a solution for motor retention, and a way to keep the sustainer and case-booster together during launch. Threaded rod is a tried and true method that isn't as elaborate as it sounds.

What I meant was to just do it as a flying motor case; no airframe over the motor, and use a coupler on the front end. Save weight, improve stability.

Back