Altimeter test

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrkoldkuts

Reaction score
Looking to do the vacuume test to set off the altimeter charge any suggestions or videos to get things going. Thanks

With my homebuilt altimeters I can sometimes trigger it by just cupping my hand over the sensor and inhaling. Not especially scientific, but it works decent. It might not work for fancier alts.

For test charges, I use Christmas lights. Any small lightbulb will work though (just not a real charge).

But if you do want to bench test a Foodsaver vacuum food packager/sealer and their marinating container works great. The container can even be used with a Harbor Freight hand vacuum bleeder (for automotive brakes), the bowls knob on the lid is also a valve allowing the pressure to be release simulating the increase in air pressure as the rocket descends. With the Foodsaver unit I usually am able to sim something like 7k' flights, instead of ematches I use old style Christmas tree lights (little incandescent ones) plugged into the deployment terminals, the whole assembly (batteries, altimeters and lights go inside the container and its sealed) once the air is removed eventually the apogee event will cause an bulb to light, then as I release the pressure shortly the main bulb will light (both bulbs briefly). If the altimeter is a recording type the data can be read from it, giving a simulated flight to see how the voltage drops and etc were. Sorry I dont have any pics of the bowl being used or video.

foodsaver-system-3.jpg

Strongly disagree with the second half of that.
I too disagree, especially if the unit ever has a hard landing its absolutely critical to bench test if possible, and its a good opportunity to learn how you altimeter works in a non-critical environment.

Back