Altimeter Options

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disaster_Guy

Reaction score
I need to pick up a new dual-deploy altimeter and I am weighing out options Vs price... I have pretty much narrowed it down to three altimeters: The Adept 22, Raven 3, or TeleMini. Here is what I have worked out so far:

Adept 22 - Dirt cheap at $29. Provides both max altitude recording as well as configurable dual deployment.

Raven - Around $150. Adds two additional channels for staging, etc as well as the ability to download flight data including velocity.

TeleMini - Around $125 (requires $75 dongle) is limited to two channels but provides full capture, remote arming / ground testing, and live telemetry.

I am really leaning toward either the Adept 22 (I already have a BeeLine) or TeleMini. Does anyone have any additional thoughts on these or anything that I am missing? I just can't see investing in the Raven (not that it isn't a great product) over the TeleMini unless I had a need for staging or triggering other events.

I'd look at a the Perfect Flite SL100. For $68 (direct from them) it has DD and data download capability. I have one and it works great. That said I've heard that Adept makes a great product, so for simple DD applications you can't go wrong there. It just depends on if you want to pay for the extra features.

Another consideration with a 4 channel unit like the Raven is that it easily allows for redundant separation charges and is the stock configuration. E.g. Ch1 and Ch3 are typically set for primary and backup apogee charges while Ch2 and Ch4 are for the main deployment. Of course its not redundant electronics but it is redundant on the charges so if a match fails or a charge cover comes loose the other will fire. They can be seperated in time/altitude so that you don't have two charges going off simultaneously.

I also suspect, but don't know, that the Raven has more configuration options as to precisely when and under what conditions the events fire. It is useable out of the box without programming but programming is very easy and allows setting events based on a large combination of altitudes, speeds, and accelerations based on both barometric and accelerometer readings and each channel can be set independently.

It's the golden age of altimeters - so many choices that are all great products. Personally, I've owned the ARTS2, Raven3, Adept22, RRC2 Mini, CoPilot 2K and Telemetrum. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

My personal opinion:

Raven - The most capable/configurable altimeter I own. Based on it's small size and options, it's hard to beat. The power perch makes it an even sweeter by giving you larger connectors, a battery and magnetic switch. I'm still tossed up on the magnetic switch, but it makes installation a breeze. FIPS is good if you're a Windows user. There's been work to port it to OSX, I haven't been able to get it to work yet. There are a LOT of configuration options, so deviating from the default setup will take some careful studying.

Telemetrum - On the same general level as the Raven, but oriented more to downlink and position reporting. A bigger product, but packs a LOT into it's package. Requires a HAM license. Interface program runs on Win/OSX/Linux.

ARTS2 - Great altimeter, but as I understand it's no longer available. Limited memory buffer compared to Raven and Telemetrum. Windows only interface program. Only altimeter (that I know of) that does motor characterization with recorded data.

Adept22 - I use these as backup altimeters. Very easy setup (no computer needed) and a single 9V means it doesn't take up a lot of space. You can't beat the price.

RRC2 Mini - Similar to Adept22 in capability but more configurable. No computer needed to program. If I'm going with a single altimeter in smaller HPR rocket, this is it.

As I said at the start, these are just my impressions. YMMV.

Good luck.

The MARS54 and the older version will give you a thrust profile with the proper data. Rocket mass / propellant mass.

JD

It's the golden age of altimeters - so many choices that are all great products. Personally, I've owned the ARTS2, Raven3, Adept22, RRC2 Mini, CoPilot 2K and Telemetrum. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

My personal opinion:

Raven - The most capable/configurable altimeter I own. Based on it's small size and options, it's hard to beat. The power perch makes it an even sweeter by giving you larger connectors, a battery and magnetic switch. I'm still tossed up on the magnetic switch, but it makes installation a breeze. FIPS is good if you're a Windows user. There's been work to port it to OSX, I haven't been able to get it to work yet. There are a LOT of configuration options, so deviating from the default setup will take some careful studying.

Telemetrum - On the same general level as the Raven, but oriented more to downlink and position reporting. A bigger product, but packs a LOT into it's package. Requires a HAM license. Interface program runs on Win/OSX/Linux.

ARTS2 - Great altimeter, but as I understand it's no longer available. Limited memory buffer compared to Raven and Telemetrum. Windows only interface program. Only altimeter (that I know of) that does motor characterization with recorded data.

Adept22 - I use these as backup altimeters. Very easy setup (no computer needed) and a single 9V means it doesn't take up a lot of space. You can't beat the price.

RRC2 Mini - Similar to Adept22 in capability but more configurable. No computer needed to program. If I'm going with a single altimeter in smaller HPR rocket, this is it.

As I said at the start, these are just my impressions. YMMV.

Good luck.

The Adept is 39 if you want to know how high the rocket went. Great thread.

Back