AGM-28 Hound Dog as a Model Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hound Dogs were strictly nuclear. None were fired in anger. Effective? Absolutely

It sounds like you might be challenging yourself to make a flying version, I say go for it!

In any case make sure you know about Dad!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-64_Navaho
The Navaho looks wild. Harder to scratch build I would think. Crazy looking!

The off-center engine is going to be a challenge. Unless you put the motor into the tail of the body and use the "engine" as a hollow tube, essentially a tube-fin, although for accuracy, there should be a smaller tube inside the larger one for the "nozzle" ramjet look of it. And you're also going to need to minimize the canards as much as possible.

There was actually a semi scale Hound Dog flown at the DARS launch weekend before last.

Looked pretty good. Motor was as in the aft end of the fuse, not in the pod.
The builder did take the easy way out on the pod. It was a body tube with a simple balsa profile representing the profile of the pod.

IIRC, it was 24mm motor powered.

I did not get get a super close look at it, but it looked pretty good in flight!

There was actually a semi scale Hound Dog flown at the DARS launch weekend before last.

Looked pretty good. Motor was as in the aft end of the fuse, not in the pod.
The builder did take the easy way out on the pod. It was a body tube with a simple balsa profile representing the profile of the pod.

IIRC, it was 24mm motor powered.

I did not get get a super close look at it, but it looked pretty good in flight!
One of your texas folks sent me a prototype kit to build, I started a thread, it does have a true under belly pod, but still has the motor in the main tube, maybe it was an early version of his kit. His kit mistakenly placed the canards too far back and had the turbojet pod bt-55 and the main body bt-60 along with a few other things, he's fixing that to be both bt-60 now and on mine I moved the canards up and fixed the couple other things.

Frank

Back