Aerotech Space Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing that it can be done with a 98mm small O booster, and 2nd and 3rd stage 75mm almost full M's, which should get you close to the 40,960 N-s.
They suggest using the O5500X as booster, and two yet to be certified full M 75mm motors.

Personally, I'd go with a full O fast burner and a boosted dart: It's been done before. :)

Aero Dyne SR110-AD-1 Super Loki solid-fuel rocket; 25 kN (5520 lb) for 2.1 s (OK, that makes it a P)
A 98mm booster, 54mm dart, and a little less Impulse should do it

Last edited:
$10K "might" pay for the motors & hardware...
10k will fund the motors and airframe. Travel costs not as much. O5500 is around $2500. A 75mm full M from CTI is $800. Even if you up it to 5k for motors , you can build a hell of a nice airframe for 5k. Even stepping up to a 6 inch O6000 staging to a K62 your still under all limits.

10k will fund the motors and airframe. Travel costs not as much. O5500 is around $2500. A 75mm full M from CTI is $800. Even if you up it to 5k for motors , you can build a hell of a nice airframe for 5k. Even stepping up to a 6 inch O6000 staging to a K62 your still under all limits.
The catch is that actually hitting this on the first attempt would be absolutely wild.

I'm guessing that it can be done with a 98mm small O booster, and 2nd and 3rd stage 75mm almost full M's, which should get you close to the 40,960 N-s.
They suggest using the O5500X as booster, and two yet to be certified full M 75mm motors.

Personally, I'd go with a full O fast burner and a boosted dart: It's been done before. :)

Aero Dyne SR110-AD-1 Super Loki solid-fuel rocket; 25 kN (5520 lb) for 2.1 s (OK, that makes it a P)
A 98mm booster, 54mm dart, and a little less Impulse should do it
Darts won’t be allowed, but 2-stage is the ticket. The West Point rocket would have reached 100 km if it had flown substantially vertical. We will release the rules soon.

Darts won’t be allowed, but 2-stage is the ticket. The West Point rocket would have reached 100 km if it had flown substantially vertical. We will release the rules soon.
I've been waiting for this to be filled out for quite some time:1706622141745.png

hehehe

I won't be one of the contenders for the space challenge, but I probably will be buying the casing and reload when it's released.

I really, REALLY wish I was
1 18+
2 had a L3
3 had money
So I could compete ahhh well :(

Ps does anyone that is competing need a side kick?

Last edited:
Shucks, Jim

I was thinking you had the best chance at the prize if you could fly your VOS !

-- kjh
I think the VOS, at 2.5 pounds, would weight too much for a class 2 rocket. It can be used on a larger rocket, such as a large P to middle O, but even then there is a pretty good hit on the altitude if the system is on the sustainer. The value of it, in theory, would be to minimize spin and coning.

Jim

100k feet on 40kns is very achievable. The new full M baby N in 75mm will make it alot easier.

98mm M2500 to a 75mm M/N 3xxx with a 10 ish second delay between staging is well above 100k.

Last edited:
Back