Aerotech Mustang!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havoc821

Reaction score
I have been doing low power rocketry for a while and I now want to move up to mid-power rocketry. I have heard the Mustang is a great rocket, but I have a few (a lot) of questions about it.

1)Since I am only 14, I can't exactly LEGALLY purchase F or G motors. I was wondering if there is a 24mm motor adapter for it. If so, how do you make it?

2)How high does the rocket go (on 24mm and 29mm motors)?

3)How expensive is it?

4)Do I have to have to have a special kind of launch controller to launch the F or G motors? (In case I get my hands on a few. hehehe.) I wouldn't do anything illegal of course, I would just get my mom to get them. I have a 12v launch controller that I built by combining 2 Estes controllers. It can fire 2 motors at once. Is this enough voltage for the F and G motors?

5)How hard is the construction?

6)And last but not least, what size launch rod does it use?

I hope that these were not TOO many questions to answer. If anybody has an ACCURATE RockSim file of this rocket can you please post it. Thanks! :)

1) You can have an adult purchase an F or G motor and supervise the launch. I don't think you can purchase any AP motors under 18 (could be wrong) and an E9 or a D12 just won't cut it.

2) There are a lot of options here, but you can find a motor matrix listing the different altitudes at: AT Motor Matrix

3) Hobby Lobby stores around the country seem to be putting these on sale for just under 30 bucks.

4) Your 12V launcher should work fine, but it's not going to be kind to the AA batteries. You might want to wire it to a car or motorcycle battery instead.

5) The construction is very easy. I'd compare it to the Estes Mk109 as far as difficulty is concerned. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

6) 1/4" launch rod.

The only RockSim files I would be able to find would be at https://www.rocketreviews.com

Hope this helps!

Click on the forum 'SEARCH ' tab and enter ' MUSTANG'
There are more posts than I could absorb in an evening
includind LOTS of pics and even some from ME!!!
And WELCOME to the wonderful world of MID POWER!!
Dr Don

1) I have never had a problem purchasing either F or G motors. I purcahse most of my motors from a local vendor at the Tripoli launch, and online. If you order online just use your parents credit card.

2) Well, go to www.apogeerockets.com and download the Demo version of Rocksim. You can then download the rocket from EMRR's database and run sims on it. One sec... F20-7 Econojet is 1484', and G35-7 is 2274'. If you download their PDF catalog it shows results with a bunch of motors. I believe the kit comes with a 24mm adapter.

3) Not all that expensive, but be forwarned, it wil get very expensive. You will want to get bigger rockets, with bigger motors, which therefore cost more. I just got a Warthog (mustangs too) at Hobby Lobby for 23.00! Expect Econoject G motors to cost about $10. (www.greatlakeshobbies.com, is the best place to buy motors). Or a 29/40-120 reload case goes for about $35.00 and an E realod is about $5

4)Yep, plenty of voltage

5) AT kits are a snap to build. Easier than some Estes kits.

6) 1/4 inch launch rod. DO NOT buy a dancing Mantis pad. You can build a pad that is much better for much less

You should also be aware that flying the rocket on F and G motors will require FAA notification It will tell you a lot about this in the instructions, but finding a club to fly with might be wise. Where are at?

BTW, I am the leader of GYRO the Global Youth Rokcetry Oragnazation. THis is a free club with under 18 rocketeers that have a good time. Email me if you are interested.

BTW, when you get an F or a G, you will be blessed with a copperhead igniter. These will work if prepared carefully, but I prefer to dispose of them

In case you have not already gotten it, attached is the RockSim file for the Aerotech Mustang rocket:

Hi Havoc,
I have a Mustang and I have launched it using Estes D, Aerotech E and F engines. You can use an Estes D without an adapter, it's the same dia as the E and F. It of course doesn't go as high but if all you have is a D, you can use it.
Randy
:D

Airforce, your post could easily confuse the new rocketeer.

The motor mount in the Mustang is 29mm. This will facilitate E - I class motors. The Mustang includes an Apapter that will take the 29mm motor mount to a 24mm motor mount. 24mm motors include engines in the classes of C - G.

So you can fly it on a single use 29mm G35, or F20. You can fly it on a 24mm single use E15 or E30. You can fly it on a 29mm reload like the H128, G64, and F40. Or you can fly it on a 24mm reload like the F12, F39, E18 or the D13.

Here is a link to an informational page about the 24mm and 29mm consumer reload casings. You can also purchase the 29/60 and 29/100 high power cases which will handle 29mm F and G relaods. The 24/40 consumer case is - https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro91241.htm
The 29/40-120 case is -
https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro91291.htm

I would recommend that you buy a reload case if you plan to fly more than 4 or 5 times a year. It is a high initial investment, but it all equals out. G35's cost about $25 a pack, so lets say $12 per motor. The reload case will cost about $35, but the loads will cost about $8 for a g reload kit. So, your first SU flight will cost $12 and your first reload flight will cost about $42. Well, then after ten flights, flying single use will have costed $120, but reloads will have costed $115. The more you use your casing the more you save.

If you do buy a casing, buy the 29/40-120. This lets you span a E-G range, whick is much more practical for a Mustang than a D-F range.

I also do NOT recommend flying this rocket on a D12. If you do, make sure you have a LLLLOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG launch rod and no winds

True, I did forget to mention that I built mine with the adapter to allow use of the less costly engines. I say again, I flew mine using a D12-3 with a standard 3/16 rod with no problem. I also
like the Aerotech E but my field limits the engine size. I like to keep them in eye sight.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Randy

Sorry again....I would use the 1/4 rod for a more stable launch.
Randy

Here is my Mustang ready to fly loaded with a single
use G80-7T! Launch weight without paint and decals
and only one sanded coat of wood filler
is exactly 14 0z!! (10.4 w/o motor) Any altitude guesses?
If I launch at Buder park on Saturday , I will probably try
an F52-8T unless someone can assure me that a D21-7
will work with such a long delay. Dr Don

ThankYouvery much for the replies, when I get the money, I think I will go buy the Mustang. One question though, that really never got a direct anwser: Will the rocket do good on an Estes E motor? I don't want to put the rocket out of sight on the first launch with an F or G motor because I don't have a tracking system yet. (another one of my projects) If I made a 4ft or longer 3/16 in launch rod, would it work on an Estes E? :confused:

Here's what RockSim v. 6.0 gives for the expected altitudes of your 14-oz., Aerotech Mustang in simulated flights this weekend (45 degrees F. in the Kansas City area, with Elevation = 1,026' & Latitude 39 degrees N. at the airport):

G80-7: 2,466 ft (successful flight)
F52-8T: 1,743 ft (successful flight)

A D21-7 does not have a 29mm motor diameter like the motors cited above, so you will need an adapter. It's not on the list of suggested RockSim motors for this particular rocket model, so that tells me DON'T FLY IT ON A D21-7!

I've seen a mustang fly on an E9, and I remember it wasn't too bad. You may still want someone to sim it out for you if possible, though. Also, you could get a composite E that wouldn't necessarily put it out of sight. An F20 econojet wouldn't be bad, and the 24mm RMS motors (E18 in particular) would be perfect. I also highly recommend a single use E15 for that bird. Those would be perfect for a first flight. Lotsa smoke and fire from the AP, but not outrageous performance. Also, the single use motors wouldn't be too bad price wise if you don't want to spend the money on an RMS casing that you can't find reloads for right now. That's the great thing about AT kits though - they come with the 24mm adaptor, and the spacers needed to fly the 24mm motors.

Mark

Back