Aerotech Initiator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pangelin

Reaction score
I just built Aerotech Initator and I plugged CG and CP in OpenRocket, it gives me Stability:0.704. When I look at the rocket view I still see that CG is still 2" ahead of CP, which should be ok. Has anyone flown the Initiator stock, without adding weight the NC tip? Should I expect stability issues, if I leave it as it is? Thank you!

I just built Aerotech Initator and I plugged CG and CP in OpenRocket, it gives me Stability:0.704. When I look at the rocket view I still see that CG is still 2" ahead of CP, which should be ok. Has anyone flown the Initiator stock, without adding weight the NC tip? Should I expect stability issues, if I leave it as it is? Thank you!
The Initiator built stock is a very stable model (Although the stability of it's designer is questionable ;) ).

Years ago at a Lucerne HPR launch a rocketeer wanted to certify for High Power (There were no cert 'levels' in those days). Scott Pearce of AeroTech had the guy buy an Initiator, CA glue and an H55 motor from an on-site vendor. The modeler assembled the Initiator per instructions only leaving out the baffle system and motor hook/block. This Initiator was flown and recovered without incident and the flyer became HPR Certified.

Build the kit stock and fly it with the recommended motors and you will have years of flying fun with this model.

PS: Attached is a picture of my latest Initiator flying on an AeroTech F20-4W motor last month at NSL West.

NSL 2023W 001 Initiator launch on AT F20-4W.jpg

The Initiator built stock is a very stable model (Although the stability of it's designer is questionable ;) ).

Years ago at a Lucerne HPR launch a rocketeer wanted to certify for High Power (There were no cert 'levels' in those days). Scott Pearce of AeroTech had the guy buy an Initiator, CA glue and an H55 motor from an on-site vendor. The modeler assembled the Initiator per instructions only leaving out the baffle system and motor hook/block. This Initiator was flown and recovered without incident and the flyer became HPR Certified.

Build the kit stock and fly it with the recommended motors and you will have years of flying fun with this model.

PS: Attached is a picture of my latest Initiator flying on an AeroTech F20-4W motor last month at NSL West.

View attachment 586580
I'm pretty sure it's against the safety code to launch them horizontally off the side of a cliff like that.

There are many people who have made major contributions to our hobby. Bob's (Initiator001) Initiator ranks with the very best of them!

Someday I will actually get him to sign mine, LOL

View attachment 586580
Thank you for your reply and info. I know some people are adding weight on NC, but I will fly it stock as you said.

I got an Initiator I built it stock in like 1990 or so; back then it came with Serial Numbered Gold Colored Name plates.

In Decades of MPR & HPR flying I have never heard of anyone using nose weight. As I built mine stock there was a engine block in it and the Baffle. Once I did stuff a longer sized G motor in it. It flew even with the motor sticking out the back.

Only damage on that one to this day is awhile ago a hobby line reload did not fire the ejection charge until almost too late.. Some Body Tube damage.

I have the 4" AeroTech version still new in box but not had any time to put it together.

Last edited:
I've also flew an ISQY Tomahawk AeroTech rocket with the HiPower Reload H128 sticking out the back a little and flew fine. At that time I was using RockSim.

Now I am using OpenRocket and some things might be different.

The key is to weigh all your subsections, not use weight of the parts database in either program.

I think the root cause of your questions are the results of your sim in OR, correct? Go back and look at your sim file - you have something out of sorts in that sim build, otherwise you wouldn’t be getting odd results like you did. As already recounted, the Initiator is one of the most successful MPR/HPR kits ever produced - good looker too so nice choice!

I just built Aerotech Initator and I plugged CG and CP in OpenRocket, it gives me Stability:0.704. When I look at the rocket view I still see that CG is still 2" ahead of CP
Plugged where and how, with what numbers? There's no way to override CP in OpenRocket, so it's not clear to me what exactly you've done here. When you say "look at the rocket view" I assume you mean the values in the upper right corner of the rocket view in OR. What motor config was selected when you got these numbers?

In general, some more detail would be helpful for us to figure out where your sim is having problems, if in fact it is having any problems at all.

I got an Initiator I built it stock in like 1990 or so; back then it came with Serial Numbered Gold Colored Name plates.

In Decades of MPR & HPR flying I have never heard of anyone using nose weight. As I built mine stock there was a engine block in it and the Baffle. Once I did stuff a longer sized G motor in it. It flew even with the motor sticking out the back.

Only damage on that one to this day is awhile ago a hobby line reload did not fire the ejection charge until almost too late.. Some Body Tube damage.

I have the 4" AeroTech version still new in box but not had any time to put it together.
Thank you!

The Initiator was my introduction to mid powered rockets about 20 years ago, and I still have it, still fly it. Built completely stock. No stability issues.
Also, I just flew my Mega Initiator on Mother's Day weekend for its first flight. Beautiful straight flight and landing.

I've had two Initiators in my lifetime. The first one when I got a Initiator starter set on clearance for $50, had the classic WL E15 and F25 motor with it, those were my first E and F motors. I flew the E in my Optima and the F25 ended up going in my brothers HV Arcas though, I preferred flying my Initiator in F14J's. I REALLY miss that motor. Was my favorite in the Initiator and Arreaux.

My first mid power rocket, and I still fly it over 20 years later! GREAT kit that is perfectly stable built stock, and is an absolute tank! I love flying mine of F40 reloads!

The Initiator was my introduction to mid powered rockets about 20 years ago, and I still have it, still fly it. Built completely stock. No stability issues.
Also, I just flew my Mega Initiator on Mother's Day weekend for its first flight. Beautiful straight flight and landing.
Good to know. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back