Aeropack 29mm retainer, motor case fit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason328K

Reaction score
For those of you who have 29mm Aeropack retainers, when the motor casing is in place is it normal for the case to move? When I tighten my retainer with a case in place there is about a 1/16th inch movement in the fore-aft direction of the motor case which is something I have not experienced in other sizes. If that is normal I may just elect to use tape to secure the motor instead of the retainer. Thanks for any input.

not on the two I just tried. question(s) does the case (when inserted) sit even(or slightly protruding) with the end of the threaded bit? or does it sit recessed? if it is recessed then you have an odd retainer base, otherwise it sounds like an installation problem(something is keeping the cap from threading all the way down, paint or epoxy on the threads, interference with the airframe).
Rex

I have several recently purchased 29mm retainers that do as you describe, but not nearly that bad.

Tracked mine to the base being bad. The one I installed was close enough to sand it down some and make it work. The other one got warranty replaced.

Last edited:
My Wildman Sport has a PML HAMR 29mm retainer, like the Aeropoack with fine threads. Flown twice - once on a Single Use and again on the 29/40-120. The single use had some slop in it but the RMS fit nice and snug. Both flew great.

Mikey D

Back