Aerobee Hi kit bash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I'm excited about this one so I had to post a photo as soon as I had it somewhat together.
I've always liked the styling of this sounding rocket, and a very long time ago I had one of the Estes rubber nose cones that would work for this design. I was building an Estes ESAM and earlier I had built a Hi Flier XL when I noticed that their nose cones were very long. So I bought another HiFlier XL with the intention of kit bashing it into an Aerobee Hi. I used the measurements in Peter Alway's book and scaled them down to BT-60 size. I managed to cut the fins out of the XL fins and cut strips from the scrap to form the conduits. Once I get the fin fillets done it will be ready for paint. I have black, white and silver, I'll have to buy some orange. The HiFlier XL has a 24mm motor mount so that's what this one has. I know from experience that a HiFlier XL will go pretty high on a D12. I'll probably launch this one more with C11 than D12, or I'll get an adapter and use C6.

IMG_4707b.jpg

I was excited to finally finish fooling with the balsa and sanding and wanted to get a coat of primer on it while we had one day of warm weather left. Then today I realized that I forgot to put on the launch lugs! Better to remember it now than find out when I'm headed out to the launch pad.

You're in the club now! Not that I've ever done that a time or two, ha-ha :)

-Bob

I got in my painting this week. Here is the finished product, as finished as I'm going to likely get with it for now. It is ready to launch if I had anything other than D12-3. I need to build myself an 18mm adapter so I could launch it on C6-5.IMG_4715b.jpg

Is the BT-60 18” long?
The HiFlier kit comes with 2 pieces of tube and a coupler. I used the dimensions in Peter Always book and scaled them down to BT-60 diameter. This required shortening the total tube length by about 1.5" to 21" tube length. IIRC the original tubes were 11.25" each.
After I had it all planned I discovered further in the book that some Aerobee-Hi launches had a cylindrical payload section mounted between the main airframe and the nsoe cone. I could have used the total tube length without shortening it.

After I had it all planned I discovered further in the book that some Aerobee-Hi launches had a cylindrical payload section mounted between the main airframe and the nsoe cone. I could have used the total tube length without shortening it.
It's cooler that you kitbashed the tubes as well as the fins and conduits though. Makes it even more unique. 👍

It's cooler that you kitbashed the tubes as well as the fins and conduits though. Makes it even more unique. 👍
What I find interesting is that the orange body is the iconic color for the Aerobee Hi but if I search the internet for images I've yet to find a photo of the real rocket that has an orange body. Most of the photos I found show white bodies. There are a couple at the museum in New Mexico that are a dark color sort of a real dark copper or bronze color.newmexico2001-003-2b.jpg

Back