Adhesive removal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
The rocket I recently purchased had some large stickers on it and after peeling them off most of the sticky was left. I have tried 3-in-1 oil, TKX lubricant, goo gone, alcohol, and acetone but nothing softens it. The stickers I guess are the ones that came with the PML kit. They were on there for a couple or three years I guess.

Any ideas?

You can also try Ronsonol (lighter fluid) if all else fails.

Peanut butter

Butter ,margerine ,mayonaise also remove certain residues......not kidding ,although in this case ,solvents and scrubbing may be needed ,thus the risk of buggering the finish.

Paul T

It needs to be left to soak... but sorry it didn't work out for you.

Gerald

Patience was key with this one. I blotted it on and after about 20 seconds, it started coming off.

Patience was key with this one. I blotted it on and after about 20 seconds, it started coming off.

I thought GooGone should have worked ,as I use it quite often...very good stuff.I also use a product by CMT carbide tools that removes tar and pitch etc. from my carbide router bits ,saw blades etc.

It`s not caustic ,smell like Windex and takes that stuff right of without scrubbing.

Glad it`s working for you.

Paul T

The rocket I recently purchased had some large stickers on it and after peeling them off most of the sticky was left. I have tried 3-in-1 oil, TKX lubricant, goo gone, alcohol, and acetone but nothing softens it. The stickers I guess are the ones that came with the PML kit. They were on there for a couple or three years I guess.

Any ideas?

GoJo non abrasive hand cleaner or other petroleum based hand cleaners, put a dallop on and let it sit for a few hours to penetrate the adhesive. Also is good for getting pine sap off of cars using the same technique.

Sure wish the paint removal would go as easy as the sticky did... I got the fins scraped but the body tube is proving to be a chore.

You might try a little lacquer thinner on the corner of a towel. When I was painting cars and trucks, I would use some to remove residue from stick on pin strips and stick on letters and signs.

Thanks for the replies guys. I got the sticky off and the whole rocket stripped of paint. I need to fillet the fins then I can paint it.

Back