Adept22

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legranddudu

Reaction score
Friends,

I need to buy 2 or 3 small altimeters with dual deployment capabilities in small diameter rockets. Looks like the Adept 22 would fit to my expectations. I would appreciate any feedback from the community or even alternative products. I am not so familiar with US Altimeters as we only use German's but unfortunately my lovely Altimax Simply is out of stock at the moment and for a while ...obviously I need something else.

Any Feedback?

many Thx and regards from Munich
Denis

Adept22 is a great product and cheap. It works well. I use it in most of my flights as both the primary and back up altimeter. It is usually with in 20-40 feet of the measurment I get from the Raven and it has a similar hook up to the Raven.

If you don't need it to report altitude, you can use the DDC22, which is otherwise the same and works great, and is an incredible value ($30? I think). I have used them both as a pair for redundancy, and they have worked perfectly on 7-8 flights.

A second on the Adept22 being a great product, it's my standard redundant system and use it in smaller (limited space)Rockets, worked ever time!!! 100%
I now have 7 of them!

I have several perfectflites the old mawd and the new strattologger. They worked great. I recently bought some adept22 and the DDC22s just because they are so cheap. A fellow rocketeer had several flights with the Adept22 and it seems worth trying.

Easier to have several cheap altimeters that work, than figuring out a way to easily swap everything around for each flight.

Raven is a great premium altimeter but it is not cheap. It is my other favorite.

The main drawback to the Adept 22 for a basic DD altimeter is the need for a 9V battery (no capacitor). For small rockets,... that add's a substantial size / wt penalty. That said,... I've decided to live with that penalty. The price is just too good! I love them. They work great. I have 3,... and will be ordering more soon.

The main drawback to the Adept 22 for a basic DD altimeter is the need for a 9V battery (no capacitor). For small rockets,... that add's a substantial size / wt penalty. That said,... I've decided to live with that penalty. The price is just too good! I love them. They work great. I have 3,... and will be ordering more soon.

There are ways around the bulkiness of 9V batteries..I did it in my NSL Thor..Took the battery apart, there are 6 1.5v batteries inside, I stacked them in an old Aerotech ignitor tube with - at one end and + the other..Worked great...There ARE 9v 'pen cell' batteries on the market too, trick would be getting a holder with connections for them..

There are ways around the bulkiness of 9V batteries..I did it in my NSL Thor..Took the battery apart, there are 6 1.5v batteries inside, I stacked them in an old Aerotech ignitor tube with - at one end and + the other..Worked great...There ARE 9v 'pen cell' batteries on the market too, trick would be getting a holder with connections for them..

Jon,

Can you post a picture of a 9v pen battery and your set up?

What kind of 9V? I took one apart and it had a black clay like material inside. Nothing like a bunch of smaller batteries.

I want to do a 38mm min diameter rocket with an i59N , so went small on my altimeters purchases with Raven 3 and the Adept22.

Plan on doing the test flights with the adept22 in case it gets lost.

Have flown both in my Vindicator DD, with the Adept22 as the Primary altimeter2 and the Raven as secondary - only because the Raven could be set to Apogee +2 seconds. Adept22 is really straight forward, very easy for me to utilize in my first DD attempt.

Kenny

I need to buy 2 or 3 small altimeters with dual deployment capabilities in small diameter rockets.

We make the TeleMini, which is a dual-deploy altimeter that fits in an 18mm airframe coupler tube (the board is 13mm x 38mm), runs from a single cell lithium polymer cell and also provides for telemetry and tracking. You can't get much smaller for dual-deploy even without tracking.

We make the TeleMini, which is a dual-deploy altimeter that fits in an 18mm airframe coupler tube (the board is 13mm x 38mm), runs from a single cell lithium polymer cell and also provides for telemetry and tracking. You can't get much smaller for dual-deploy even without tracking.

Very true. Great altimeter, but it does cost a little more.

I want to do a 38mm min diameter rocket with an i59N , so went small on my altimeters purchases with Raven 3 and the Adept22.

Plan on doing the test flights with the adept22 in case it gets lost.

Have flown both in my Vindicator DD, with the Adept22 as the Primary altimeter2 and the Raven as secondary - only because the Raven could be set to Apogee +2 seconds. Adept22 is really straight forward, very easy for me to utilize in my first DD attempt.

Kenny

I use a Adept 22 and a std duracell 9V in my 29mm BlackHawk. Works great.

A std 9V essentially fills the 29mm body tube. Not sure if their is any 29mm coupler a std 9V fits in,... but it wont fit in Blue tube coupler. I have the battery in the payload compartment fwd of the av bay secured with a thrust ring and ply bulkhead disk. (link to thread in my sig).

Sometimes they have 6 flat 1.5v cells, and sometimes they have 6 AAAA-like cells: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:9V_innards_AAAA_removal-1.jpg

According to Wikipedia, they're shorter than AAAA's, though, and the polarity is often unmarked.

I've only dismantled a 9V once; it had the AAAA type cells.

Thanks. I did an Energizer now. It had 6 AAAA in there just flopping loose. I think this is why Wildman likes Duracell. I didn't understand when I took apart the clay one. The clay one was a Reyovac. It was soldered to the terminals.

I a very surprised you do not use LiPo's? All my rockets fly with Lipos with no exception.

LiPo's have very low internal resistance and very tiny cells can easily fire an e-match.

And you post this from your own experience with the Adept22?

FYI, the manufacturer is less confident than you are.

I've fired an ematch with not an Adept22, but with a Telemini which has a single 110 mAh lipo cell and no capacitor.

That's a valid data point,... but it's not an Adept22.

For something with some potentially bad consequences if failure (ballistic recovery)... I am hesitant to defer from mfg's recs.

I've never said another battery won't work. But I'm certainly not going to encourage using a battery not recommended by the mfg. And even more so if I don't have extensive first hand experience / expertise that this works and is safe. I think that is irresponsible.

Feather weight also recommended and supplied lipos with their av bays.

They stated that the recommended ematch or q2g2 fired fine with the lipo, so did not build raven for a higher amperage ignition circuit into the raven til the last rrevision and then think it is only the 3rd and 4th channel.

Thanks , feel better cause I asked all the same questions last year, and still did not understand the answers til I had some hands on flights under my belt

Kenny

ADEPT22top.gif

It has a capacitor, you can clearly see it in the picture under the word model, and they say "Do not substitute an external battery with a voltage less than 7 volts. A 2-cell Li-Po battery should be sufficient, but complete pre-testing will be necessary."

I have seen people use lipos with an adept. I do not recall the numbers of cells.

Back