Adept22 Testing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davdue

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Have my Adept22 mounted in my av-bay with Christmas lights connected to the terminals. The only hole is the hole to push the arm switch. I tried sucking on the hole but I can't get the drogue or the main light to come on. Do I need to seal the bulkheads with silicone?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

image-1549711153.jpg

Would you be able to create enough vacuum to send off the lights if the seal was perfect? I'd tend to think not... Not saying you couldn't--just think it's questionable enough to not use failure of the lights to activate as basis for modification...

That said, it would be easier to test the integrity of the transition/av-bay by blowing air in.. if you can hear/feel it escaping past the bulkheads, then yeah, you may have a problem. Silicone seems a bit overkill to me. I'd tend to lay down a gasket between the bulkhead and transition, provided I couldn't get the surfaces to mate up well, but that's just me...

Later!

--Coop

I made a simple vacuum chamber to test my adept 22. I used a jar with a hole in the lid.

My guess is your av bay isn't air tight. If you have good tight seals you should be able to suck hard enough to set off the lights. I have done this type of test a few times.

Got that fixed by sealing all the hardware points with silicone and taping up the edges of the bulkheads.

1. Does it need to be that sealed during flight?

2. What is the best way to ground test? I was thinking of taping my shop vac to the hole and using that so pull a vacuum. Or do you just hot wire the ejection charges to a battery and a switch?

+1 for the jar with a hole in the lid. Go to store, get mayo or pickle jar. Scoop out and clean. Drill small hole in top. Drinking straw sealed around hole optional. ;)

gdjsky01 said:
+1 for the jar with a hole in the lid. Go to store, get mayo or pickle jar. Scoop out and clean. Drill small hole in top. Drinking straw sealed around hole optional. ;)

I have altimeter tested now I need to know the best way to test the charges.

davdue said:
I have altimeter tested now I need to know the best way to test the charges.

If you have a launch controller, then you can use it. When I ground test, I assemble the rocket , and pack the charge I want to test. Generally I'll leave the sled out, and run the wires from the terminal blocks through the hole for the switch. Then, I clip the leads for the launch controller to the wires.

KurtH said:
If you have a launch controller, then you can use it. When I ground test, I assemble the rocket , and pack the charge I want to test. Generally I'll leave the sled out, and run the wires from the terminal blocks through the hole for the switch. Then, I clip the leads for the launch controller to the wires.

I have an Estes launch controller. But I thought I read somewhere on here that it would fire the ematch. I am using Davey Fire ematches.

Ahh yes, that is true. Just be ready when you put the key in. That is what happens when I use my home made launch controller and q2g2s. I keep the battery for the controller in my pocket as extra precaution.

Yes, specifically the low-current "continuity test" that lights the bulb to tell you that a regular Estes igniter is correctly placed: this current will be sufficient to ignite most low-current e-matches. I'm not sure about the Davey Fire variety, but like the other poster said, just be ready when you insert the "key" in the Estes launch controller. That should do the job without having to push the button as well. You can definitely use this to ground test your charges.

Ok I just ran a wire out of the switch access hole and used a long wire to a 9V battery. Sorry in advance for my families laughter. They were expecting a louder boom. I used 1 gram of FFFg. It seems like it could use more. What do you think?

[video=youtube;RB21kGRgcCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB21kGRgcCk&feature=plcp[/video]

FFFFG is what most of us use but if it works... Thats why we ground test. It wouldnt be a bad idea to add more powder, as you want to clean the tube if possible. What I saw from the video there is a strong chance of separation but the chute may stay in tube. Kudos on taking the time to test before flight.

Last edited:
I used 1 gram of FFFg. It seems like it could use more. What do you think?

Ummm....... definitely yes! Try upping it to 1.5grams.[Then more if needed] you want the shock cord to extend about 75%. Keep in mind you must also remember the dynamics of flight. Wind-angle of attack when charge fires etc. always different than when sitting motionless on the ground.

Last edited:
Sorry: didn't get a chance to respond until now, but it looks like you've overcome!

For gaskets, I usually use stock of the black gasket material you can find at auto part stores. If I'm planning on the part being removable, such as a bulkhead, I'd add a THIN coat of dielectric grease rather than a more permanent silicone.

Your ground test works--so that's 3/4 of it.. now it just looks like you need to titrate to effect... try upping the charge a bit (0.5g sounds like a good starting place to me).

Also, there's calculators to use as a guide (though most are set up for FFFFg) available at several places online...

Later!

--Coop

I noticed you already tested your altimeter. I'm still goign to post the way I tested mine.
Involves epoxying a syring into a baby food bottle, smaller the better. Then drilled holes and fed the wires through the cork. Then seal the holes.

https://www.pvcrocketry.com/2012/03/simple-way-of-testing-altimeter.html
[video=youtube;DIgyc_vWPB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIgyc_vWPB8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

...assuming you meant 0.8g, yes?

I'd contact them first, be sure they have it... FFFFg is tough to find at current.

Later!

--Coop

Flew my rocket today. A friend gave me two 1.5g FFFFg loads. Rocket flew perfect to 1186 feet according to the Adept22 on an I211W. Main deploy was set at 600'. I will fly it again on Labor day weekend at AirFest for my L2 cert.

Yes OR predicted about 1000 feet. I hadn't optimized with the final weight so it went a little higher at 1186.

Here is my onboard video. If you listen closely you can hear the Adept22 beeping out the altitude on the way down.

[video=youtube;VQsW1U168Ug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsW1U168Ug[/video]

I use zip loc bag or a travel size space bag depending on avy-bay size. Poke a hole with some tubing through the zip lock and seal with some duct or electric tape. The travel bag you use a vacuum cleaner hose. Sounds crazy but it works.

Cheers

Have my Adept22 mounted in my av-bay with Christmas lights connected to the terminals. The only hole is the hole to push the arm switch. I tried sucking on the hole but I can't get the drogue or the main light to come on. Do I need to seal the bulkheads with silicone?

Back