Accelerator compatible with AT plastic?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
Bought some CA kicker today. The primary use for it will be on AT kits, so is it safe to use with the plastic such as the fins and fin locks?

Be very careful.

Pacer "ZIP Kicker" WILL dissolve AT plastic fin-loks. It will probably do the same on the fins.

When building AT kits I only use 'kicker' on non-plastic parts.

Years ago, when CA and accelerator first became available, the accelerator did not harm the plastic. However, 'kicker' was not environmentally friendly so it had to be reformulated into what we can now buy.

Darn. I have NHP FlashTac, do all accelerators have the same composition?

I never understood the point of CA kicker. By the time I can grab the bottle of kicker, move it into place and start spraying, the CA is almost set anyhow... and since I wasn't using both hands to hold the part, it's set at a crooked angle.

I suggest that if you are the least bit worried about the kicker affecting the plastic, it's not worth it for the few seconds you'll save. Or, follow the old addage from the textiles industry, "test product first on a sample or unseen area."

Now, if someone came out with a kicker for epoxy, so that I'd have lots of working time but then be able to set it nearly instantly once I'm done, I'd be a happy man.

Did a test today on fin lock material, and while it didn't exactly dissolve, it did give off color when I rubbed it with a toothpick. However, I have found baking soda to work just as well. Is there a strength compromise when using baking soda?

Justy, the primary use for CA when I'm building rockets is to put a bead on. This can take a loooonnnngggg time to dry. Some kind of accelerator really helps. I get rockets built faster so I can get permission to buy more :D.

Back