? About Madcow Torrent & L1 Kit Recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyBear326

Reaction score
I'm trying to pick out a kit for L1 and I really like the look of the Madcow Torrent available from Apogee. I thought it was odd that Madcow doesn't have it listed for sale on their website, anybody know why?

It looks to me like the Torrent is just a stretched version of the Tembo w/ a dual deploy setup. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Dual Deploy Kits in consideration:

Madcow Torrent
Madcow Super DX3

Single Deploy Kits in consideration:

LOC-IV
LOC Mini Magg

Any thoughts/recommendations on these kits or others I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm partial to the LOC IV. That was my L1 bird. Easy to build and a great flyer! ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1453869326.499488.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1453869342.391439.jpg

I used a LOC Canadian Arrow. An elongated V-2. Tough bird.

I love the rocket. I'm currently building it for my Level 1 and it's a very solid rocket. I have a build thread going here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?131503-My-first-Level-1-Rocket-build

One thing I would recommend though. In the video they show you to use their Fixit Epoxy for the fillets. I've also been building a Tomach and after reading TRF used RocketPoxy on that rocket instead. No question, i'll be using rocketpoxy from now on. I think the rest of the build is pretty straight forward.

I also found this video on Youtube to be quite helpful before I began engaging on TRF
[video=youtube;OfRAtS4UUdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfRAtS4UUdM[/video]

the only deviation I have from the original rocket is the upper body tube was damaged in shipment. It's 12" The replacement is 19". I left the longer tube and it sims just fine. I am going to fly Dual Deploy for my L1; but many will tell you to just stick with single deploy. I read some good advice yesterday on another thread from rharshberger, "Build the dual deploy, but swap the drogue and main locations and just use the main for deployment" That way you get the skill at building the avbay etc that comes with it.

Best of luck and if you choose this and have questions, don't hesitate to give me a shout. I'll try to answer anything since I just finished mine (minus paint and ejection charge testing).

Ah one more thing I did change. I upgraded the main chute to a 44" Loc Angel from Apogee. From reading threads and looking at SIMs in RockSim it just seemed to land a little harder than I wanted; especially knowing it was my L1 attempt. I much preferred the data from the 44" over the 36". Hopefully in March (or April more than likely) I'll tell you how that worked out!

Good luck with the L1 build. I've nearly completed building my L1 kit right now. (Kevin and I are on similar time frames and we both have build threads.). I can tell you to brace yourself for additional expenses--particularly when it comes to equipping the av bay: There's the flight computer (of course), but beyond that there are a lot of little connectors, batteries (and charger, if you get a LiPo), black powder, etc. That said, I'm loving it. I'm sure you will too.

The Torrent is closer to a Cowabunga (same fins), but yes it is essentially a stretched single deploy kit. I haven't built either of the MC kits listed, but I have a Frenzy (basically a longer DX3 with 54mm mount and split fins) and the Madcow kits are very nice builds.

I think any of the rockets you are looking at would be a nice L1. I did Jr. L1 on a basically stock Mini Magg and it remains a favorite flyer, but if you build one consider adding nose weight depending on your motor setup. I have 9 oz of nose weight on my build and my favorite motor range for it is 38mm/3 grain motors which hit about ~2000 ft, but it can certainly handle more impulse (mine has flown an I540 to 2952' and an I216 to 3038')

Last edited:
A couple months ago, I was in your shoes--trying to figure out which kit to buy for my L1. I think the Torrent is a great kit, but there are lots of other possibilities, and plenty of opinions here on TRF. If you want to slog through all of the great advice that I got, check out the thread: Suggestions for first HPR.

This is a common question and there is no right answer. The best answer is build and fly something that YOU like. I chose a Madcow Little John. I used the cardboard version.
Any of the kits you mentioned would be good. Some folks have certified using the Estes PSII kits as well, just keep in mind that a model that size/weight is gonna go really high on an H...

Remember with your motor, you can always adapt down. I generally build with a 38mm or 54mm motor tube, then adapt down to 29mm. I personally cannot afford to fly 38 or 54 right now, but I might in the future.

Don't forget to watch the vendor websites. Sometimes the motor manufacturers will run a certification special. That is the time to buy your motor. If you see a special announced, ask your local vendor if they will be participating, then decide how to proceed. You are allowed to purchase & posses 1 L1 motor for certification purposes.

I know I answered questions that you didn't ask, but just the same hope it helps.

Sorry I went MIA there for a bit guys, work has been crazy this week.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to doing a build thread for whatever I decide on.

I've got a leviathan on the bench that'll definitely handle an H and I'm tempted to fly it for L1, but a 4" rocket just seems like more fun ;)

Sorry I went MIA there for a bit guys, work has been crazy this week.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to doing a build thread for whatever I decide on.

I've got a leviathan on the bench that'll definitely handle an H and I'm tempted to fly it for L1, but a 4" rocket just seems like more fun ;)

That depends on your definition of "fun"! Also depends on what kind of flight you're looking for. Low and slow, or send it up higher and harder to see. I forget, are you planning on doing DD for your L1?

I used a Madcow Torrent kit for my L1, great kit for the price and it includes everything you need but electronics. I got my L1 & first dual deploy with it. I have a feelling Madcow makes that kit exclusively for Apogee.

Yes, Apogee is the exclusive outlet for the Torrent.

If you decide to go L1 with your Leviathan, a baby H will send it to about 2500+ feet, which, for me, was just on the edge of visibility for a perfect flight day!

Latest posts

Back