A8-3 Forward Closure Smoking Gun?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at going after my local club's A and B records (300' and 865 feet, respectively) because I have a new, tiny altimeter that's going into production this month and I wanted to see what I could do with it. See My little Altimeter in the support and recovery section for more information. This alt is designed to fit, with its battery, almost completely within a BT-20 nosecone, with only a mode selection/power button and a USB port. It weighs 7.6 grams. So after designing my rocket in RockSim, I made a nice, tiny rocket with really small, contoured fins that sims at 580' on an A8-5, and has 1.67 calibers of stability margin. At the field, the thing lept off the pad, and then made a hard left turn, spiralled mightily, and didn't get very high off the ground.
:trytofly:

Bummer. I thought maybe my fins weren't big enough or the alt was throwing off the CG too much radially (though I did a roll test before hand and it seemed almost perfect.) I get the rocket back, and hmm, that's funny, the tube is all bubbled just forward of the motor. I've never seen that before. It's a brand new, unfinished tube, and the nosecone pops off easily Then I checked the alt data, and saw something I've never seen before. The X-axis acceleration was shooting up toward 30 Gs as expected, and suddenly, it goes to negative 30 G's for a fraction of a second, and then the Y-axis (lateral) acceleration goes all over the place. Hmm. How could the rocket see a net 30-G acceleration backwards while the motor is thrusting? Maybe it was thrusting backwards because of a failure in the forward closure?

I pull out the engine, and sure enough, it has a skid mark on one side of the forward edge. There's one piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit, though. At the expected time of the ejection at about 4 seconds, I see a pressure spike and a moderate acceleration in the X axis, which would be consistent with a normal ejection and the nosecone popping off. But if the forward closure had failed and it was thrusting backwards, the nosecone would have already have been off. And the ejection charge wouldn't have still been intact either, would it?

I guess I'll have to fly it again to see if the problem repeats itself.

Attached is a photo showing the rocket with bubbles, the altimeter sticking out of the nosecone, and two A8-3 engines. The one on the right is the suspect one, and the one on the left is one I flew on a different rocket. I'll add in some graphs from the accel in a little while, but I gotta go for now.

bubbling_tube2.jpg

Well, I have at least some of the questions answered.

The main issue was that I scale my accelerometer data to represent mili-G's, and I store it in a 16-bit number. That should be good for more than 65 G's, except I forgot it's a 16-bit signed integer, so it's only good for ~32 Gs in each direction. So when it appeared that the acceleration switched direction, it merely had exceeded 2^15 mili-Gs.

I figured this out because I just had to find out if the problem would repeat. I went back to the field, launched the rocket and it went almost as straight as an arrow, bubbly tube and all. Yay! Preliminary analysis with a somewhat questionable barometric calibration shows 630 feet. Woo Hoo! But the same data showed the same G reversal, this time for a clean flight, so I tumbled to the data roll-over problem. But how to explain the bubbled tube and the erratic first flight, when all I did was change the motor, re-fly, and the bird went great? Maybe the Accel was wedged into the nose with less CG offset the second time? We'll probably never know.

Anyone else have a similar situation with an erratic, low-performance flight one time, followed by a clean, outa-sight launch the next?

It turns out though, that the ending to this story is kind of a mixed bag again. The rocket just took off, and disappeared. Saw a puff of deployment smoke, and didn't see any reassuring, elongated rocket reappearing. A few seconds later, heard a whistling thump, and saw the motor land nearby. :ahhhhh:

I never saw the rocket again in the air, but I took a walk with my daughter into the wind and sure enough, it had lawn darted about 400 feet away from the pad.
:saint:

Unlike the rocket the altimeter was doing just fine, though, after having split the BT-20 nosecone. It was beeping hopefully, waiting for someone to hear it and come take it home. I brought it back, took a picture, and then had to pretty much use the jaws of life to get it out of the nose cone. Those things are tough! I'm checking out the data and comparing it to Rocksim now. It's kind of neat where you can see the engine get ejected in the pressure and acceleration data.

A couple of months ago there was a thread about Li-Poly batteries and danger with crashes. In that thread I had promised to lawn-dart a rocket on purpose to test the durability and safety of a little alt carrying a small Li-poly battery. Well, so far so good!

after.jpg

It was a standard Estes A8-3. The two other motors in the package worked fine. Whether that means it was a "poopy clay" motor I'm not sure. :dontknow:

Back