A Tale of Two Rockets (long story)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM-54C

Reaction score
I recently got back into model rocketry after a six year break and I have to say that being older now, I can appreciate the hobby more than when I was a little kid.

First of all, when I first got into the hobby, Ididn't have the skills, or knowledge, to build and design my own models, so I stuck to the kits. However, recently, I have been designing and flying my own designs and have been pretty satisfied with the results.

Now for the part about the two rockets:
One of the things that I have been doing is trying to make a single-stage high altitude low-power rocket. To analyze the results I build at least three of the exact same type (this is to rule out any anomalies that can occur in faulty construction on one rocket). Well after nine rockets and three design modifications, I launched my latest two rockets with spectacular results, both good and bad.
The two rockets that launched were identical except for the weight, which was a 10 gram difference. The rocket design was as follows, an 11 inch body tube length, 24 millimeter ID, 3 clipped delta fins, standard Estes noce cone, streamer recovery, and powered by a single Ests D12-5. The two weights were 75 and 85 grams. After I did the calculations, I figured that the 75 gram rocket would reach a maximum altitude of just over 2000 feet and a maximum velocity of 405 miles per hour. The 85 gram rocket would reach about 1800 feet and 370 mph.
I launched the 75 gram rocket first and it was a perfect flight(well almost perfect but close enough); the take-off went fine(a very slight wobble, but that could be because I made the fins out of an old oatmeal box), quick acceleration to 400 mph and after the coast, perfect ejection and recovery and no damage to the fins at all on landing. I was feeling quite good about my design and since I had an exact copy ready to launch, I decided to launch it as well. This was the bad flight and I think I know exactly what went wrong. The 85 gram rocket launched fine(with a slight wobble, but that was to be expected) until about 1.3 seconds after launch. At that time, I noticed that the slight wobble suddenly turned into quick spirals. The whole thing took about half a second, and after the quick spirals, the entire rocked "disassembled" in mid-flight. There were about fifteen large pieces that I could see after the rocket "disassembled" (I choose not to say explode because from my analysis, there was no unexpected explosion).
Here is what I believe went wrong:
The most important fact is that I used hot glue to secure the fins to the rocket (because I am lazy and don't like to wait) and to make the fillets. the second important fact is that with the body tube ID (24 millimeters) I just friction fit the D12-5 into the tube and glued it in place. These were the two things led to its destruction. I believe that in the 1.3 seconds after launch, the engine transferred enough heat through the body tube (home rolled from computer paper) to heat the hot glue enough to melt it. At 1.3 seconds, the rocket was treveling its fastest (370 mph) and I believe that one fin fell off at this speed. With one fin gone, it would have produced the quick spiral, and that spiral lasted less than half a second. With the rocket missing one fin and spinning, I found that a second fin detached from the body tube, but not from melted glue, but from aerodynamic forces ripping it off (due to the fact that when I recovered the body tube the paper was ripped and sheared off where that fin was attached). After the second fin detached, the angle off attack of the rocket kept increasing, and as it was flying at 370 mph, with a high angle of attack, the aerodynamic forces bent and crumpled the body tube right above the end of the engine casing. At this point, the nose cone was forced out of the rocket by the wind resistance, and the streamer deployed but the shock cord seperated from the body tube and the streamer seperated from the nose cone. At this point, the "rocket" was just one fin, a severely bent body tube, and the engine. All of this happened very quickly, and the ejection charge in the engine still haden't deployed. Well five seconds after the "explosive deconstruction" the ejection charge deployed, but since the body tube was bent right above the motor casing (the body tube had about the shape of an "L") as the ejection charge went off, the hot gasses did not follow the bend in the tube but just blew a large hole through the body tube and the embers burned about one third of the entire body tube. This was the quick death of my second of the two rockets. The only piecs that I got back were the noce cone and mangled body tube.

So now you see the Tale of Two Rockets, both of identical design and quite different results. I guess the moral of the story is that when scratch building rockets, don't use hot glue in close proximity to the motor.

If anybody else has stories of rocket failures I would like to hear them and what you think went wrong.

Thanks for your time.

I made the fins out of an old oatmeal box

OK...this is my scenario of what MAY have happened.

The first rocket was comparitively stable and the slight deviation in course was easily corrected by the cardboard fins.

Now the second rocket was either less stable or a stronger outside influence (probably a gust of wind) tried to destablize it's flight.

My opinion is that the second rocket reached and surpased the maximum capabilities of the cardboard fins...either flutter, distortion of the cardboard or failure of a glue joint...OR...all of the above on one or more fins.

Once the fin "let go" well...we all know what happened to Colombia when a small hole in one wing got bigger and bigger...

In our venacular...you exceeded the speed of cardboard!

Welcome to the forum and in the future...try balsa fins.:D

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great analysis! Were you doing computer simulations of these rockets? Did you measure the CG or estimate CP?

I agree with sandman--try balsa and I'll add another: try wood glue or at least tacky glue or super glue.

MetMan

In building these rockets, I didn't have any balsa wood on hand, and as mentioned before I really am lazy so I just decided to make the fins out of a cardboard box. I realize that balsa is far superior to cardboard when it comes to rocket flight but I really didn't want to go out and buy a sheet of balsa. Along the lines of laziness, I know that hot glue is a very heavy glue and that it really isn't all that strong but is it much easier to glue the fins on the rocket with hot glue (which takes about a minute) than to use a stronger slow-drying glue (did I mention that I don't like to wait). Perhaps next time I will use CA to glue the fins to the body tube, with epoxy fillets.

I don't think that the stability of the rocket was an issue, because the 10 grams that I added to the second rocket moved the CG towards the nose which would make it more stable in flight. Also with the stability, I remember that the fins on the second rocket were aligned better that the fins on the first rocket. And the first rocket was going about 40 mph faster than the second rocket on account of the 10 gram weight difference, so logically the faster flying rocket should be more likely to have lost a fin during flight(only taking into account the strength of the individual fins and the aerodynamic forces). But, I completely agree that once one of the fins fell off, at that speed, the destruction of the rocket makes perfect sense.

And MetMan, initially i had printed out an equation to find the altitude and velocity of the rocket (which factored in gravity, air density, wind resistance, and the coefficient of drag) to do all of my calculations. However, I realized that my numbers could be inaccurate so I found an internet site where you input the variables of the rocket and it tells you the altitude and velocity. When I compared the results from the internet as well as the results from the equation I had, there was about a 12 mph difference in the speeds of both rockets. I don't have rocksim or anything like that so I just used the basic methods to find the CG (balancing on an edge) and the CP(cardboard cut-out method) and they fell into the normal range.

Thanks for all of your input.

I've had hot glue hold fins on a rocket I made. the motor was a J1200. I also have hot glued many fins on water rockets.

Edward

If you want to get quick-drying glue, use CA (Cyanocrylate cement), which is pretty much a fancy version of super glue. It is relatively strong (It should hold the the fins on well enough to use even an F, if you use enough), and, if you have time, use white or wood glue for the fillets. Hot glue is messy, melts when it heats up (obiously), and it is more dangerous than the CA (just like a soldering iron, but it uses glue instead of metal). The only thing is that the CA is more expensive that the hot glue, but it is better (or I think so, at least). Rebuild it with CA, see how much better or worse it is, and post the pictures from the flights.

Latest posts

Back