A Impulse Booster Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
A local hobby shop must have cleaned out their back room recently, because a bunch of A10-0 motors suddenly appeared on their display (the black 'Cobra' packaging). I snatched up a handful and resurrected a Mini-Cobra two-stager. On the first flight the sustainer (1/2 A3-4) lit and the booster engine was pushed out of the tube but the booster stayed attached. Trust me, BT-5 doesn't do well in those conditions. Fortunately a mini-condor booster is perhaps the easiest thing to scratch-build imaginable.

I built a new one (about 1/2 hour work) and flew it again this weekend. We got great flights on the same combination of motors, very fast and high. I'm working now on a couple of scratch built designs for these motors, and may try some clustering.

These A10-0 motors are a lot of fun! Most two-stage rockets are just too much for the smaller fields we have around here. I also like how quick and easy you can try a new design with smaller motors. I see rumors that Estes may bring them back; has anyone got confirmation on that. I've written a letter to Estes on the point. Perhaps there are others who want to add their voices.

I understand that Estes is reluctant to produce motors that are not matched to a kit or two in their line, but they really discourage the scratch builder and smaller manufacturer when motor availability is uncertain. Perhaps they could produce motors that are not distributed through their normal channel (the average hobby shop). The shops and internet sellers who specialize in rocketry could carry these special motors to support other kit manufacturers and scratch builders. It would be healthier for the hobby and for Estes in the long run.

I love those A10-0T motors. I use them all the time with my Estes Mongoose. The booster has a A10-0T (13mm adapter required) and a A8-3 in the second stage. Great flights :). I also have flown my Comanchee III with a C11-0, A10-0T, A8-5 combo, with great results :).

Back