A guilty pleasure musical interlude

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When I reached a certain age (advanced knucklehead stage aka puberty) this was one of the things that pulled me away from model rocketry: a deep infatuation with English progressive wankery ! ;)

I recently rediscovered this during a random surfing session; I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it while not under the influence ! :D

Prog Rock is not wankery- it is good music. Not the simpleton pop crap. I am a bassist, and I have spent many years learning Rush, Yes, ELP, Marillion, Kansas, and yes some Genesis. Throw in some Dream Theater, and progressive metal too. One of my friends is a really excellent keyboardist- he and I came up with the saying - if it is not prog, it is crap. This really is a joke between us as we both like a really wide variety of music, but we get irritated with folks who cannot fathom music that you cannot dance to.

Last edited:
Focus, King Crimson, Renaissance ... all great stuff for thinking musicians.

The musicianship is undeniable. All the band kids I knew loved this stuff. As a non-musician i was taken with the drama and weirdness of it. You gotta admit, Peter Gabriel was/is out there. I just remember putting this stuff on the old record changer was a good way to end the party and/or get rid of pesky females. :D

The musicianship is undeniable. All the band kids I knew loved this stuff. As a non-musician i was taken with the drama and weirdness of it. You gotta admit, Peter Gabriel was/is out there. I just remember putting this stuff on the old record changer was a good way to end the party and/or get rid of pesky females. :D

The musicianship was light years ahead of the rock world.

Peter Gabriel was bizarre no doubt

Then I invoke Frank Zappa. Welcome to the Black Page 1&2, Black Napkins, and a host of other awesome beautiful things.

Oh man, I remember Apostrophe(') was in the rotation back then as well. "Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris". I guess that's Zappa Lite for some of y'all. :)

Last edited:
Oh man, I remember Apostrophe(') was in the rotation back then as well. "Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris". I guess that's Zappa Lite for some of y'all. :)

My son is 15, and he is becoming a pretty good drummer. He is learning Inca Roads and we will then play it. I might get bit more intricate on him and go to Andy after that- not the studio version- the hyped up version from Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life.

I think it might be time for Outside Now.

Back