A few launches before Isaac gets here, but goodbye to my Aerobee 150!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Since Janaury I've had today on my calendar as a vacation day. Almost every year I use some precious PTO to give me a long Labor day weekend. The kids are in school, the wife is at work, and I can kick back and relax without any demands on my time. For seven or 8 hours, that is...

Anyway, as the week progressed I kept my eye on the forecast. Here in Indiana, we've known for days that the remnants of Isaac will cause a "Labor Day Washout" but the weather report showed clear for this morning. Light winds, building by noon as the outer fringes of the storm approach.

Taking advantage of the window, here was my timeline:

7:50 am: Kids on bus headed to school
8:00 am: Wife in car heading to work
8:15 am: my car packed with rocket stuff
8:30 am: after taking care of a last few work emails so I can relax, I'm headed to the field.
8:45 am: At the field, setting up on the hill where I usually launch.

Wind gusts were already starting to be felt, though the normal wind was a southerly 5 mph flow. Bright blue sky, not a cloud in the sky. I talked to a guy exercising who was happy to watch the rocket show, and a few more parkgoers came by once I got started as well.

First up, my traditional Mini Max. I ought to get a picture of it. It's had maybe 35 flights and is quite worn, but still a reliable flier. Straight up, straight down, landed within 100 feet.

Next: My BT50 upscaled Estes Screamer clone. I flew it on a B4-4 in an Estes red plastic adaptor (the clone can take a 24mm D). Just as I hit the launch button, a pretty hefty gust blew. It was uncanny in it's timing. Here's a picture showing the Screamer weathercocking before it even left the rail:

Screamer upscale weathercocks.jpg

Screamer Upscale Weathercocks off the pad.jpg

So it arced over, popped out a streamer, and landed pretty close.

That's when I got cocky. The winds died down after that while I was prepping my Hornet, but I decided to put that one on hold and I slipped a D12-5 into my Semroc Aerobee 150. A build thread from last December is around here somewhere. Anyway, it had my newish 808#18 Keycam on it. I thought about swapping out the chute for a big streamer but decided against it. The fins are tapered to a knife-edge and I didn't want to bust 'em. BIG MISTAKE.

Up she went, not weathercocking at all. I had expected significant arcing into the wind up there, but none at all happened. The cone blew probably around apogee and I found out the winds were much stronger up there than at ground level, this morning. :mad:

Here's the video:

[YOUTUBE]FoEE1z9r1l4[/YOUTUBE]

And a still.

Aerobee 150 D12-5 off the pad.jpg

It drifted off into the woods to the north, probably landing in the canopy way up there about 100 feet into the stand of trees. I'll document a bit more later, but the bottom line is she's gone. I'll return to that area in the fall and may be able to spot the Semroc yellow chute. I didn't have a confirmed sighting when I reconnoitered the area today, though I saw something WAY UP that might have been the chute. But with 4 inches of rain on the way this weekend, rocket and camera are a write-off. Maybe I'll get the memory card back in the fall if I'm lucky.

(more to come when I get more time to write this all up)

Last edited:
Anyway, thus chastened, I stuck to more safe launches.

My Hornet took it's third flight, on a B6-4.

Hornet on pad websized.jpg

Some onboard video from an HD (720P) keycam:

[YOUTUBE]LeQ2CygnIuo[/YOUTUBE]

Next I did my colorful Blue Bird Zero BT20 downscale. Here's an archival picture of it; didn't take shots of it today. It went straight up, popped out the streamer, and came straight down.

BT20 downscale BBZ.jpg

It was a real crowd pleaser (if you call 3 specatators a crowd). It did great on an A3-4T.

Finally I took out the full scale Blue Bird Zero (BT55). To be safe I loaded it up with a C11-3. No risk due to the winds picking up; it's low flying on this engine.

BBZ on the pad.jpg

Got some fun onboard video too (from a standard def keycam):

[YOUTUBE]xn2-navn3_k[/YOUTUBE]

The chute kinda fouled so the descent was rapid, but that's OK. It landed in the prairie and was unharmed.

By this time the wind was really picking up so I packed it all in.

It was around 9:45 am by now, and you could see high clouds coming in fast to the south, not quite at my locale yet, the leading edge of Isaac's outer fringe. It's gonna rain tomorrow! But I decided to go for a hike to see if I got lucky with Aerobee. Maybe it landed on a path between the trees... Nope. But it was a nice walk.

Here are some pictures from along the way:

Beautiful trees.jpg
Lush greenery.jpg
Spiderweb.jpg

I feel very lucky to have such a beautiful area to stroll through, even if the trees did eat my rocket. Check out the spider web in the last shot above. I know, my cell phone camera sucks, but it was a nice walk.

On the way back I had a sighting of something that might have been the yellow SEMROC chute, or might have been a clump of yellow leaves up hight:

Possible Sighting.jpg

Sorry, it's at the limit of resolution. With eyes, it looked more like "Something, up there."

With the rain coming, and the fact that the rocket is way up there in some tree, I won't find it for sure until fall. By then of course the rocket will be trash, but if I can locate the chute in the tree, I may find the camera below. It is held on by a thickish black rubber band and some masking tape (super light tack). So the tape will be a non-issue within a week, but the rubber band, under very little tension from the light weight of the camera, will probably break in a few weeks, dropping the camera. The camera will of course have been ruined, but maybe I can recover the memory card. And get one last video from my Aerobee.

I tend to obsess about this stuff (can you tell?), but for the most part I'm letting this one go. I'll walk the path in the fall in hopes of sighting the chute and retrieving the memory card, but it's not worth any extraordinary measures.

I hope you guys have enjoyed this.

Marc

Short but sweet vid of the recovery.
The few times Ive used my camera,the video on the recovery end of the flight makes ya dizzy.
The view of the ground below is just spinning round and round.
To bad about the tree monsters.

Looks like a great and successfull launch day to me. But you gotta have the kids there, gotta have some one to chase'em down. Going out tomarrow!

great videos! the sidewalk and the round brick work that you use to set your launch pad down on look neat when your rockets launch....looks like they are taking off from Complex 39. cool stuff!

I love launching with the kids, but still... there's nothing quite like doing things at my own pace without worrying about the "short attention span theater" that inevitably occurs with my kids.

I love launching with the kids, but still... there's nothing quite like doing things at my own pace without worrying about the "short attention span theater" that inevitably occurs with my kids.

Yea...I know ALLLL about that!

Back