A couple of low power builds . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfsanderson

Model Rocketry Returnee ...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_2010.JPG

The rocket on the left is a LOC/Precision Xeno . . . I didn't have a lighter/brighter green so I went with what I had. Looks alright . . . nice kit easy to build if you already have some experience. This was 2nd LOC kit and so far I'm very impressed with the quality and how nicely they build. The rocket on the right is the Apogee Texas Twister. I've not ever owned a heli rocket of anykind, so this is a first for me. Went together pretty nicely, I think the LOC kits have better parts quality but these aren't bad. LOC, even the Xeno is a low power kit, doesn't skimp on materials quality as far as I can tell. On the Texas Twister, I didn't paint the nose cone, left it blue to see how it would look - not too bad. First time in a long time I put on a sliding decal on anything. Turned out a bit canted . . . but nothing disastorous. The only 'big' change that I made in the kit was not using the nylon mesh hinges put held by thin CA and utilized DuBro hinge tape instead. I made the mistake of filling in the balsa fins, and that appeared to have caused the nylon mesh to not adhere very well. I used two pieces of Dubro hinge tape, one on each side. Not sure how it will work out - but am hopeful. Both were fun builds, challenges in their own way. Both were painted by Rustoleum Gloss Enamel and finished by Rustoleum Clear Gloss Enamel spray paint.

Mark!

View attachment 374636

The rocket on the left is a LOC/Precision Xeno . . . I didn't have a lighter/brighter green so I went with what I had. Looks alright . . . nice kit easy to build if you already have some experience. This was 2nd LOC kit and so far I'm very impressed with the quality and how nicely they build. The rocket on the right is the Apogee Texas Twister. I've not ever owned a heli rocket of anykind, so this is a first for me. Went together pretty nicely, I think the LOC kits have better parts quality but these aren't bad. LOC, even the Xeno is a low power kit, doesn't skimp on materials quality as far as I can tell. On the Texas Twister, I didn't paint the nose cone, left it blue to see how it would look - not too bad. First time in a long time I put on a sliding decal on anything. Turned out a bit canted . . . but nothing disastorous. The only 'big' change that I made in the kit was not using the nylon mesh hinges put held by thin CA and utilized DuBro hinge tape instead. I made the mistake of filling in the balsa fins, and that appeared to have caused the nylon mesh to not adhere very well. I used two pieces of Dubro hinge tape, one on each side. Not sure how it will work out - but am hopeful. Both were fun builds, challenges in their own way. Both were painted by Rustoleum Gloss Enamel and finished by Rustoleum Clear Gloss Enamel spray paint.

Mark!
Very nice Mark! A couple of well executed builds. I'll bet they fly as good as they look.

Jim

Back