A-10 Warthog plan question/ re-sizing problem fixed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave

Reaction score
What size balsa is the motor pod attachment? The plan shows it to be 16" long but how thick? I'm thinking 1/4" balsa because the fuse is 1/4" balsa. I finally figured out how to re-size the plans with my HP copier and now have them to correct scale. Man sometimes computers make me feel so stupid. All I had to do was open up a gadget on the computer that had a box for scaling up or down called the Photo Image Director.

Dave-

Yes, the motor pod is 1/4" balsa, as well. Make sure you sand the sides of the hook so that the glider slips off easily, of course. Cut the hook notch in the glider body carefully, so that you can use this piece as your hook, thereby guaranteeing a perfect fit. Also coat the motor pod stick with epoxy to several inches below the motor tube, to protect it from scorching.

Originally posted by vjp
Cut the hook notch in the glider body carefully, so that you can use this piece as your hook, thereby guaranteeing a perfect fit.

If you look at the direcions, Part X (Z? it's the hook) has a different grain direction than the part cut out of the fuselage... it won't be as strong if you use the part cut from the fuselage.

-Jake

PS: If you do have it cut like this already, It should be fine... I wouldn't fly it on any Cs though :)

DOH! You are absolutely right!

Ignore what I just told you to do, Dave...

Rich, you may be right, it may hold on a "B" but I'm still not going to chance it, it's going to be easy enough to slice off the hook (especially because the grain is parallel!) and make a new piece anyway.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Back