98mm subminimum diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What came first? The chicken or the egg?

Actually 21 pounds of propellant came first... in the form of 5 Bates grains.
I opted for building the motor first..then glue the fins to it.
The tricky part is to get the forward closure glued in straight..
20230703_192657.jpg
20230703_192858.jpg

No turning back now!

Tony

So, that whole top section is just an alignment piece for the bulkhead/closure?

TP
At this point yes. Then the coupler I made in post 15 https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/98mm-subminimum-diameter.162595/post-2067522
bolts to the top the the FC and that 24" ish section of (spent) fiberglass motor case becomes the body tube for the recovery system...Its dual deployment will be via 'double ended deployment sack' https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/deployment-sacks-not-bags.178030/post-2451779
with zip tie cutter https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/different-dual-deploy-method.11781/post-101266

thanks for pitch black : )

Tony

What came first? The chicken or the egg?

Actually 21 pounds of propellant came first... in the form of 5 Bates grains.
I opted for building the motor first..then glue the fins to it.
The tricky part is to get the forward closure glued in straight..
View attachment 590208
View attachment 590209

No turning back now!

Tony
Nice Tony! Looking forward to seeing more on this! :)

Tony, is this for Balls this fall??

If you mentioned in earlier in the thread, my apologies.

tfish --

I have bookmarked your thread Deployment sacks..not bags.

I really like your Deployment Sack Design and I am studying it for adapting it into a my next generation of small data collection vehicles, errr ... rockets.

Is that what you had in mind when you said in post #38 above: ..the chute and shock cord..are getting swapped out ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

tfish --

I have bookmarked your thread Deployment sacks..not bags.

I really like your Deployment Sack Design and I am studying it for adapting it into a my next generation of small data collection vehicles, errr ... rockets.

Is that what you had in mind when you said in post #38 above: ..the chute and shock cord..are getting swapped out ?

Thanks !

-- kjh
Yes..
The stuff in the photo was checking how much space I had. I'm making two 62" inch chutes which should be enough...if my math is right..if not I'll go with three. This will use my cable cutters, double ended deployment sack and vinyl tube ejection system.

Tony

Fins being tacked on with JB weld..

20230719_155314.jpg
My fin jig being used upside down.
Roughed up and scored fins and motor case.
Fin attachment plan....
Rocket Poxy filets..while still plyable tip to tip (1/4 & 1/2) with 5.6 oz fiberglass using Loctite EA 9396 Aero..Teflon porus peel ply..
Should work..right?

Tony

I like it Tony, did you mention your expected altitude?
James,
I'm having issue siming this project..I still need to dial in the weight, length etc...
other 98mm min dia projects..
I've gone 37.4K with 16# of Swamp Gas
I've gone 49.3K with 22.7# of Swamp Gas
This rocket has 20.8# of Swamp Gas 2.0 (added 3% 90 to it)
My guess..with some quick math.. is 46K mach 2.7
The big thing.. is proving the concept and techniques.

Ludicrous.jpg

Tony

20230725_163533.jpg
20230725_163653.jpg

I should have waited much longer..30 min..before doing the 'tip to tip'. The Rocket Poxy filets wanted to wonder off on their own..

For those wondering..yep those are rail buttons..I want it to go where I point it. And no. No boat tail. I love the look of a big noz!
This is mostly proof of concept!
Tony

Looks great, Tony!

Can you reload the motor after this flight, or is this a once and done rocket?
It might be 1/4" to big of a diameter to turn it on my big lathe..Then again removing 1/4" dia is pretty easy...

If I get to the point of having to figure this out...I'll be extremely happy!

Then again this 'spent' rocket hanging in the local kids museum would be cool too!

Tony

I present to you my 2023 Balls project ..Ludicrous...It's based 'on and around' a spent Aerotect DMS 98mm O5040X. It's been refurbished with 22 pounds of Swamp Gas. It's recovery system is by zip tie cutters and double ended deployment sack. Apogee via vinyl tubing deployment charges. Sims to..wayvup there and very quick..Featherweight GPS.

20230828_144928.jpg

Ludicrous.jpg
Tony

Attachments

• 20230828_145701.jpg
    20230828_145701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_145027.jpg
    20230828_145027.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_145014.jpg
    20230828_145014.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_144936.jpg
    20230828_144936.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
@tfish --

I've seen you use the term SawmpGas in more than one post.

Is that the name for a specific propellant formulation ?

And based on the launch mass of Ludicrous ( 697 oz ) in your RockSim Screen, you're flying just over 50 % propellant mass fraction with 22 lb of SwampGas.

Wow ! That's absolutely ludicrous :)

Good luck at Balls, Tony !

-- kjh

@tfish --

I've seen you use the term SawmpGas in more than one post.

Is that the name for a specific propellant formulation ?

And based on the launch mass of Ludicrous ( 697 oz ) in your RockSim Screen, you're flying just over 50 % propellant mass fraction with 22 lb of SwampGas.

Wow ! That's absolutely ludicrous :)

Good luck at Balls, Tony !

-- kjh
Swamp Gas...is...a Research formula that has been around a long time. It's not one I ..'invented' I guess I've just made it popular. It's not a very high Isp (amount of thrust per gram) formula. It's just a very forgiving formula..forgiving in ..will work in a wide range of pressure, is easy heat wise on hardware (because it's a low solids formula) works well on long motors (realize that all that burning propellant heading for the nozzle really takes it's toll on eroding the other grains..which makes it burn even faster. It's also not pourable nor it packable..It's a love hate relationship.

Here is a 5" P from back in the day..not me...my youngest son.
32423410767_9ee5a4bedf_o.jpg

32423410787_59bafa3db8_o.jpg

a short video..

had a great father son adventure looking for it..came across this group..had dinner with them in town..

23.JPG

outcome...still misplaced..

Tony

Latest posts

Back