50% off rockets at Hobby Lobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sense that some of you are feeling left out because you don't have one of these fabled HobLob stores near you. Well, I want to assure you that you are not banished to the uncultured boonies, or anything of the sort. HobLob is pretty much just like Michaels, or Garden Ridge, or any of the other little-old-lady-craft stores. It is mostly full of dried flowers, picture framing supplies, silly-looking colored glass crap, and so many ugly decorations and cutesy craft supplies that I would have to take my shoes off to count them all. Somewhere in the back of the store is about a quarter or third of an aisle stocked intermittently with rockets.

The assortment is rather hit-n-miss. HobLob does NOT maintain anything like a complete selection of the Estes line, or Quest, and very very little AeroTech (I think they have basically discontinued AT). The store nearest me has not had Fat Boys or Big Daddys in stock for over a year, and I consider this a true crime against humanity. Some stores have the new Estes semi-scale bomb/missile kits, and other stores do not. They have a few Estes motors but the prices are far above W-world rates.

Further, I have noticed something in the past few days in my local stores; HobLob is sneaking up their prices. The Executioner kit that I got several months ago for $13 (half of $26) is now marked $39, or $19.50 on sale. Other kits here have been marked up similarly. I suppose I can't complain, as HobLob is not obligated to put these on sale, but I still don't like the trend.

Yeah, they have great sale prices on lots of rocket stuff, but it is mostly kits that you don't want (after the first Wacky Wiggler, I don't really want any more of THOSE). Lots of skill level one stuff. Not much that guys on this forum would be interested in.

The store closest to me has also been pulling some cute little tricks, hiding some of their inventory when the sales hit, and mysteriously managing to find it again and put it back on the shelves when the sale is over. This has been happening with the Sat V kits and the V-2 kits, and I have seen it happen at each of the past three sales. I am confident that they are not selling and re-stocking, because very little of all the rest of their stock gets sold unless I buy it. (I can hang the kits in a certain arrangement on the hooks, and they are still in place when I come back a week later.) And I doubt that they would have such precise combination of selection (sale of only those kits), timing of the sale (during the first morning, before I get there at noon), and re-stocking (early the following week). Certainly not for three sales in a row. I think this is rather crappy.

In short, I kinda hafta give HobLob a lukewarm thumbs up, and then, only during their sales. You guys without access to a store near you may actually be better off. The aggravation just isn't worth saving a couple bucks.

Great deal, picked me up a Python 4 and a Paveway! Now if the wife wasn't with me I'd of had a lot of fun

Maybe so but I sure found a bunch of stuff this time around.
I picked up the Big Estes V2, 2 Aerotech Warthogs, they had the Iniator sets for $90 but I already have one.
I picked up all the new Estes military kits, I think I got 4 of each.

Carl and I like the military stuff, don't we Carl.

I picked up the normal 'D' size rockets for $5 that you just can't pass up. A few Monarch's and some Banshees for $2.50.

Fun time but I'm having a real storage problem. Don't you all feel for me.:rolleyes:

...powderburner ..

you are not kidding ...They do the same thing at my local Hob Lob

they hide stuff during he week of the sale.. during the last sale,
I saw a V2 mysteriously dissapear and than re-appear a week later
there is no aerotech left since last year
only a ton of quest starter sets and a few things like baby berthas
stardarts, mosquitos ,and and those Fun Rocket styrofoam things...

they do have a stock of chutes , igniters, rods.ect
a 12" plastic chute is $5.99

I honestly think they are converting to Quest exclusivly..the only estes newly stocked in the past year is the military missiles

the new quest starter sets are so generic and they are overflowing the shelves

I have made it 2 days so far without going .lol
I ordered a Maxi Honest John instead

Originally posted by powderburner

The store closest to me has also been pulling some cute little tricks, hiding some of their inventory when the sales hit, and mysteriously managing to find it again and put it back on the shelves when the sale is over. This has been happening with the Sat V kits and the V-2 kits, and I have seen it happen at each of the past three sales. I am confident that they are not selling and re-stocking, because very little of all the rest of their stock gets sold unless I buy it. (I can hang the kits in a certain arrangement on the hooks, and they are still in place when I come back a week later.) And I doubt that they would have such precise combination of selection (sale of only those kits), timing of the sale (during the first morning, before I get there at noon), and re-stocking (early the following week). Certainly not for three sales in a row. I think this is rather crappy.

Exactly what hapenned to me. They said they were temporarily "relaying" their rocket parts and kits. More like hiding. We had to call to get the Mustang. Last year, they didn't move the rockets during the christmas sale, don't know why. I'll have to go back and get a sidewinder.

Funny how the stock carried at different HL stores varies so much. I am in the local store weekly, for the last 2 years and have NEVER seen an AT motor there. Not one! But about every 2 months, a pack or two of AT ignitors appears.

C-man

P.S. I'd volunteer to buy and ship out the Mustangs, but they have them on clearance now and won't take the 50% off.

Powderburner, your description of some of your lousy experiences with mobile inventory does something to cheer me up a tad. BUT, (big BUT here), it seems unlikely the inventory "hiding" occurs at every HL. With the amount of members on this forum, I guess I am holding out for that ONE HL that doesn't "hide" or "relay" their inventory. If anything, a management official up on the corporate ladder may have gotten wind of a forum such as this. The idea of sales are to draw in customers to buy that one thing while buying 3 of another at regular price. I suppose it wouldn't be farfetched for some kind of "underground" memo that goes around management officials to "displace" the more expensive items specifically to avoid sharpshooting customers like ourselves.

In all honesty, most of the kits mentioned in these sales are kits that I do not have for one main reason - cost. Aerotech anything at any given storefront will have a huge markup and I refuse to pay loads above retail. C'mon, $54 for a Mustang is INSANE. So, if anyone comes across an Aerotech ANYTHING, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but in the Yard Sale forum I post a find from time to time. Basically, I kinda offer this as a favor to those of you who may be on the sidelines waiting for a good deal or for that hard to find OOP item. I am just hoping that someone will do the same for me one of these days.

Dang, a Sat V for $35.... <shakes head>. I'll take 2 please.

Powderburner, thanks for the shakedown. Your reasoning is well justified.

Originally posted by Vitamin
Anyone wanna get me a rocket kit if the sale is still on? :(

I will warn you that if you only want one kit, it may be just about as expensive as just going to your local hobby place and getting one at regular retail.

Count on shipping being around $5 for USPS priority mail, or more if the box is a big one.

May I suggest, do you have a top ten list? And maybe a dollar limit to go with the list? That way, if I don't find all you want at the top of the list, there may still be some others?

Sale runs through Saturday nite. There is a good chance I will go by a store before that. Let me know!

If I can find one, are you serious about the Sat V? Do you want TWO if I can get 'em?

Back to my earlier question, I think I can get an Aerotech Mustang for around $30 (I don't remember what the original price was marked, but I think it was around $55-60). You said earlier that you would like one, so should I grab one? Two? In addition to the Sat V?

Do you want two of each? Just how rich are you? Will you adopt me?

Originally posted by powderburner
If I can find one, are you serious about the Sat V? Do you want TWO if I can get 'em?

Back to my earlier question, I think I can get an Aerotech Mustang for around $30 (I don't remember what the original price was marked, but I think it was around $55-60). You said earlier that you would like one, so should I grab one? Two? In addition to the Sat V?

Do you want two of each? Just how rich are you? Will you adopt me?

Here are my preferences in this order:

1. (1) Aerotech Rocket + (1) Saturn V
2. (2) Aerotech Rockets, different if possible
3. (2) Aerotech Rockets, same kind OK
4. (2) Saturn V
5. If only ONE rocket is on the shelf, if even available at all, whether Aerotech or Saturn V, I'll take it.

In a nutshell, I am look to spend no more than $70-$75 + shipping. The margin of savings on rockets like Aerotech's or the Saturn V are so large that I can stand to bear the shipping.

One other note I didn't mention in the earlier reply is that our Michael's ONLY carries Estes kits. For the most part, they are of the RTF starter set and the smaller Quark, Baby Bertha, Nemesis, Nightwing variety. Shoot, when I hear of people scoring an Honest John, Sat. V (read - expensive), or Aerotech kits, I get excited and want in! :eek: The best I've done on a 50% sale is a Blast-Off-Flight pack for $25. I consider that to be a pretty sweet deal!

Drop me a line if you come across some of the kits that I've mentioned. Shoot, if you can remember what you see, post your findings on here. I bet someone would come out of the woodworks wanting one of the HL 50% kits!

Originally posted by eugenefl
Here are my preferences in this order:

1. (1) Aerotech Rocket + (1) Saturn V
2. (2) Aerotech Rockets, different if possible
3. (2) Aerotech Rockets, same kind OK
4. (2) Saturn V
5. If only ONE rocket is on the shelf, if even available at all, whether Aerotech or Saturn V, I'll take it.

I'm on it.

I have the day off tomorrow, so I can either mow (takes me literally 5-6 hrs to harvest my yard) or shop for rockets. Hmmm.
Mow. Or shop for rockets. Hmmm.

My wife just called from the Hobby Lobby store and said they had an Initiator starter kit there for 90% off. that would make it
$18.99 without sales tax. No motors, but thats fine as I have some SU motors and my 29-40/120 RMS. I really didn't do all that bad on my first Starter kit from Hobby town $114.00 on sale in 1997 came with the RMS and two reloads. Love that Initiator!!! always flys great and seams to be a tough rocket. I had a long delay once (F22-7J should have been an F22-5J) it came screaming back down and the ejection charge went off at about 200 feet. It didn't separate or zipper the tube, in fact no damage at all. Great rocket.
Larry

Larry, I just sent you a PM. Let me know if you can get another. Thanks!

Powderburner, I would still be interested in purchasing an Aerotech/Sat V if you can still acquire one (or two!).

Larry,

Great launch report man!!! I went once again to Hobby Lobby yesterday and bought another half dozen and took 2 spare new Estes Military kits to sell at the launch today...two happy people got em at $5 each. I stopped on the way home and bought another half dozen of all new mil kits and will sell the rest tomorrow, to those less fortunate that done live near 5 HL's like me. :)

Carl

to eugenefl:
I hit three different HobLobs this morning but did not find any of the items you were requesting. I went to the store in south Ft Worth off Hulen St, the one in Bedford, and the store in Irving.
I saw Aerotech Mustangs at the Bedford store early in the week but they were not there today. I cannot help but suspect that they were hiding this merchandise until the sale is over. I saw one mangled Mustang box in the Irving store but that kit had obviously been rifled, and I don't want to take a chance on that stuff. Sorry that this didn't work out better.

to vitamin:
I never did hear back from you on what you wanted. Feel free to email me if another sale comes up, but please do it early. I can get to two stores pretty easily, and two more are not very far to drive.

I'll have to check out the HL's over here in north Dallas to see if they are hiding stuff too.

I've been to the one on Forest Lane and Marsh, Preston Ave., and Trinity Mills and none of them had anything but the usual Estes and Quest stuff.

I did pick up the GBU-84 and Python 4 today for $5 each.

I'll be travelling the next couple of weeks, so no building for a bit. :(

So, when are we gonna have a DFW TRF launch?? :D:D

I've seen this writing on the wall before. Are they closing out all rocket stuff now?

Gothique ..they have done this same thing .the last 2 yrs .
having 2 sales back to back..

It really hits the wallet.LOL!!!

Is it all rockets?

I scanned the paper this morning but didn't notice that it said all rockets. I only heard rockets and starter sets.

[OT]
P.S. There was an article about Ky Michaelson and the CSXT also.

Originally posted by stymye
Gothique ..they have done this same thing .the last 2 yrs .
having 2 sales back to back..

...oh...ummm...

I know nothing of these "back-to-back" Hobby Lobby sales; I am but a simple Unfrozen Caveman Cartographer.

/channeling the late Phil Hartman

BN 150, I'm sure it is any rocket on the shelf, as well as any starter set. I check the HL web site each Sunday.

Back