5.7oz and streamer recovery???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theory

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on a build around a BT-55 airframe designed for 24mm ‘F’ motors. Given the very high altitudes and relatively small size and light weight (recovery weight of about 5.7 oz) I’m thinking of deploying a 6x60 streamer at apogee and letting it recover under that.

Openrocket gives a decent rate of over 50 ft/sec which seems crazy fast.

Thoughts on streamers for this rocket?

The Loc Aura is much heavier (nearly a pound) and recovers on a 4" x 72" streamer.
Using EMRR's streamer calculator the minimum length for a 6" wide streamer and 5.7 oz. rocket with casing would be 35.5". Unfortunately it does not give the descent rate:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/streamer-calculator.html
I'm assuming you are set on a streamer to reduce wind drift? Because ordinarily I would say that a small parachute would pack into less space than a 6 x 60 streamer. And a JLCR cannot pack into a BT-55 tube. Maybe worth considering is building dual deployment into your rocket. Then you would have the best of both, reduced wind drift and parachute recovery. But a heavier rocket.

Correct, reduced wind drift and enhanced visibility.

I am building the rocket to accommodate a packed 6” streamer so no worries there. Also, the fins will be mounted 1” forward of the aft end, so I am not really concerned about fin damage upon landing

We flew G streamer duration at NARAM-59...a lot of the models were 38mm/BT-60 range with 1 or 2mil Mylar streamers in the 6x60 to 8x80" range. Descent rate was not a problem.

Back