4:1 Ogive cone for LOC 7.5" tubing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Now that I'm finally getting settled in to the new pad in Ohio, I feel comfortable pulling together the parts list so I can start spending towards a L3 project of my own. :)

Being somewhat of stickler regarding up-front design and the look of the rocket I have in mind (an upscale) one of the first things I want to find during my up-front feasibility study is the right cone for the design I have in mind.

The rocket I have drawn up is based on LOC 7.5 tubing, and it needs a 4:1 ogive nose cone.

I've looked around, and the closest thing I can find is a PML 7.5 cone (not exactly 4:1, but it the specs look close enough for me.) A critical question in considering the PML cone: will it fit/work with LOC 7.5 tubing?

If not PML, is there another commercial source for a 4:1 cone for that airframe that I'm not finding?

Thanks!

I got a Performance Rocketry 5:1 nose cone that fits fine. The shoulder is a tight fit.I just sanded down the shoulder a bit and reinforced the back side with 2-3 layers of 6 oz. glass.

Hmmmm.... I'd rather not go with a 5:1 if I can find a 4:1. I just checked the PR website and they have 3:1 and 5:1 in ogive, but *not* 4:1... :hmpf:

How about that Giant Leap sells? Anyone know if it fits LOC tubing and what size (ratio) it is?

There is a LOC nose cone for sale on Ebay.....I don't know if it is a 4:1 Ogive....

If my math is right and I understand correctly, the "stock" 7.5 cone direct from LOC is pretty close to a 3:1 ...

30" is a 4:1.

I will tell you the 5:1 7.5" PR cone is huge. I have one I am trading for a 3:1 Cone because I have a Sandhawk and Jerry has an Iris. I would go with Loc's nosecone.

Ben

Correct ~

The LOC cone, per their site, has a total length of 27" with a 5" shoulder, leaving 22" exposed length.

22/7.5 = 2.93:1 or basically 3:1

Thats Correct, I have The LOC Bruiser and Its NC is 3:1
BruiserM.jpg

BruiserLV2.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with Rocket Dynamic Systems?

They've got a 7.5" cone, and the pics of their two 7.5" kits *look* like the cone is 4:1...........

LOC tube is 7.515" O.D. and PML tube is 7.512" O.D.

That's according to the figures in Rocsim.

That's only a 0.003" difference...that seems awfully close to me. Like maybe an extra coat or two of paint would do it.

I could make you one but...I hate making big fiberglass nose cones...real messy work.

At my age I tend to charge a lot more for stuff I hate to do:rolleyes:

Maybe with about $150.00 worth of balsa all glued together...NAW!:p

LOC tube is 7.515" O.D. and PML tube is 7.512" O.D.

That's according to the figures in Rocsim.

That's only a 0.003" difference...that seems awfully close to me. Like maybe an extra coat or two of paint would do it.

I could make you one but...I hate making big fiberglass nose cones...real messy work.

At my age I tend to charge a lot more for stuff I hate to do:rolleyes:

Maybe with about $150.00 worth of balsa all glued together...NAW!:p

DOH! For some reason, the ID/OD dimensions on the LOC tube and PML tube (7.5") were different by 0.1" or more in my rocksim parts database. I didn't even think to look online at PML and LOC's websites to verify the measurements! They look to match up pretty dadgummed close (LOC's ID/OD are right at 0.005" larger per their respective websites.) If that's the case, I think using the PML cone will be just the ticket!

Back