3D Printed Mars Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketpunch

Reaction score
Got a 3D printer for Christmas and I knew I had to print out the 3D Mars Lander created by Mech-G. The thing is awesome! Thank you Mech-G! Also thanks to Nery's youtube channel for bringing my attention to it. Anyway, I have been working on this thing on and off for a few months. I printed it in PLA, which probably wasn't the best idea. I hadn't figured out how to print ABS when I printed it initially and was too far down the road in finishing it to start over. The central motor tube mount is ABS. I added a few extra details to make it closer to the original. I also made my own decals and added a few new markings. Came out great, and now I'm a little afraid to fly it. I might need to make another in all ABS to fly.
ML.jpg

Looks Awesome! as long as all the parts that will get heat are printed in abs or petg it will probably be fine with lots of dog barf and a gentle landing. PETG is slightly easier to print than ABS imho, have you tried it?

Looks Awesome! as long as all the parts that will get heat are printed in abs or petg it will probably be fine with lots of dog barf and a gentle landing. PETG is slightly easier to print than ABS imho, have you tried it?

Thanks. It's not so much the heat of the motor I'm worried about, it's the sun. I live in SoCal and having this thing in the sun on the pad, or in a hot car will probably make the legs droop. I haven't printed PETG, but It doesn't take paint very well, which is why I stayed away from it. I think ABS will be the way to go. Fairly heat resistant and finishes really well.

Thanks. It's not so much the heat of the motor I'm worried about, it's the sun. I live in SoCal and having this thing in the sun on the pad, or in a hot car will probably make the legs droop. I haven't printed PETG, but It doesn't take paint very well, which is why I stayed away from it. I think ABS will be the way to go. Fairly heat resistant and finishes really well.

Cool Im in San Diego, definitely good cause for concern over PLA deformation, i have had good luck printing with carbon infused PLA, does not seem to deform as readily. stoked to see how it turns out in ABS for you

Back