3D printed fin slotting tool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarillo_rocket

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I designed this tool out of necessity to cut fin slots quickly and accurately. This particular one is for 2.15" 4 fin body tube. The tool is made with PLA filament. I use tape to mark where to stop cutting plus 2 pieces of tape (top and bottom) to hold the tool in place. I have cut probably 300 fin slots in the past 12 months with the tool. No signs of wear. The STL is included in the attachments....

thumbnail_IMG-6106.jpg781BA4C3-1C59-4048-85BB-D89183912BD4.jpegC7E00E55-7D31-4193-8C95-48F1EB396B4F.jpeg

Attachments

• 2.6 4finJig v4.stl
    88.9 KB · Views: 16
Nice tool. Just one more reason I want a 3D printer.

300 slots at 4 fins per tube means you've cut 75 tubes. In 12 months, that means just over six per month on average, or about one every five days. Are you selling kits?

I see a few things in the pictures you posted.

First, a cool and functional tool. Good work.

Second, your rocket shop looks high tech. Seems like there is a CNC router in the background of the second pic.

Third, your Xacto knife looks awesome. I do pen turning at times for fun and have planned on making myself a 'high-end' Xacto knife handle, but I'm wondering if yours has a different collet/mechanism for holding the blade. I would be interested in learning more about your knife if there is something to share.

Thanks for posting the cool tool and also the file for others to use if they have 3D printers. That's exactly the spirit of the hobby that I think counts the most. Learn, build, share. Great work!

Sandy.

Back