36 D Squared Mods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Vrstal

Reaction score
I picked up this kit the other day at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. While some say ugly, and some say cool.....the fins and nose cone just doesn't do it for me. I've added a pnc60AH and the slightly upscale fins from the Citation Bandit. I think it looks better, but want some opinions. Everything is just dry fitted for now and the fins are just tacked on.

Now that DOES look a lot better!

I never wanted one...before.:rolleyes:

Much, much better :D

Now it looks worthy of flight :D

I have one I'm building right now, and I'm ready to glue the fins on. The look of the 36D had to grow on me a little bit, but I think what I like about it so much (now that it's grown on me), is that it's pretty unusual looking. So, I like your mods - the rocket does look pretty cool, but on the other hand you took away some of the character of the original model design.

36 Double D. The shape of those fins. Hangs out around BARs. This is a family hobby, isn't it? :D

I like your mods a whole lot more than the original, Martin. ;)

Looks good. I like the original style, and your mods as well!

I like it!! I have one still in the bag that is definitely going to get different fins!!

Now that's freaky, that's exactly what I did yo mine, except I added six bandit fins, still tring to decide how to paint it, sounding rocket look or maybe saturn 1B look.

John

matthew figured it out.

Seriously!

The early proto fins had... details. NO KIDDING!!! It was painted a shade of pink and the fin decals were sort of... lacy.

WOW! Yours looks 1000 times better! It actually looks like an early military/research rocket, akin to a Nike Zeus or upper atmospheric research rocket of the times. Please post plans for this conversion! I would buy the 36D (Is this a bra size?) just for the parts, to make your rocket!

Estes really is in the toilet with their kits over the past decade. Too bad so many thousands of people are being introduced into low power with the crap that Estes sells today ... it really is too bad :(

Were did all the good kits go ...

Yes! Now, I actually think I will buy one of these!

The kit design was just... blah!

Now for some pics of the finished model. (hint, hint)

Ph

Originally posted by Martin Vrstal
I picked up this kit the other day at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. While some say ugly, and some say cool.....the fins and nose cone just doesn't do it for me. I've added a pnc60AH and the slightly upscale fins from the Citation Bandit. I think it looks better, but want some opinions. Everything is just dry fitted for now and the fins are just tacked on.

You should email a copy of this photo to Estes Industries! If you feel nervous, let me as I don't give a *$^@! I will explain to them that they should fire their entire R&D department and hire you!

This is what the kit SHOULD have looked like. That 36D crap is dumb, I mean dumb. The kit looks like it should be used as a prop for Soul Train or the Squidbillys ... its just not very, 'rocketish'.

V'Ger

https://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BY3U0W.01-A14MA33OWW3BYG._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

...Very ugly.

P.s. Just thought of a name for your kit: Nike Corporal (your lower section looks 'Nikish' and your upper has the long 'Corporal' lines.

Short of firing the entire R&D shop at Estes, I'm sure they would be open to constructive suggestions. The customer is, in ANY industry, the one who ultimately signs the checks.

I will be happy to present any good, positive suggestions to the people I know at Estes.

Those mods make it a better rocket IMO. Estes has turned out some great rockets in the last few years and some real dud but that is simply a matter of taste. I like to close by saying "Hello my name is fred and I like plastic nose cones and detail " Cheers
fred

Geeez, some of you guys are brutal. Give the poor gang at Estes a break! Now, if they had released the 36D with the pointy nose cone and same ole' fin design... ya'll would be ragging on Estes for turning out another boring 3FNC rocket. Estes comes out with something fairly different looking, with funky lookin' fins, and you're ready to fire the whole r&d crew. I like the mods in the original post on this thread, the builder obviously put some creative work into the rocket, and I don't want to disrespect his efforts... but, it looks like a million other rockets now. The 36D as designed... doesn't. I definately wouldn't say the mods look better. They look different, they look good, but not better. When I first saw the 36D, I thought... ahhh, how refreshing, something besides a pointy nose cone and swept back fins!

Originally posted by Starfire73
[...] When I first saw the 36D, I thought... ahhh, how refreshing, something besides a pointy nose cone and swept back fins!

When I first saw it, it took about a nanosecond for the, er, headlights to come on and realise that someone in R&D has a sense of humour. :D

Yes matthew big headlights, i love big headlights.

o yes you see alot for big headlights in Far North Queensland and at the beach in Cairns, i whish i was there right there now.:p

Wow - I guess I'm a simple-minded buffoon for actually liking the original design. Good thing I don't offend easily - take it easy guys! Different people like different things. I like the kit as designed because it's different! I like the mods because they make it look aggressive.

Originally posted by Loopy
Wow - I guess I'm a simple-minded buffoon for actually liking the original design. Good thing I don't offend easily - take it easy guys! Different people like different things. I like the kit as designed because it's different! I like the mods because they make it look aggressive.

Ok ok I was speaking in PURE hyperoble ... I just miss the 1960s and early 1970s kits for almost EVERY manufacture back then.

Yes, the 36DD is a funky kit ... and so were the Gooney birds, so I guess I have to accept them all...

V'Ger

Not a problem, V'ger, and I understand what you're saying. I came up in the Estes of the early/mid 80's, and miss alot of those kits. The thing is, there are sooo many kit sources now to fulfill any rocketry need out there. Everything from RTF stuff (Estes) to pure builders kits (The Launch Pad) and everything in between (Fliskits, Thrustaero, etc). You'll find what you want out there - you just have to know where to look.

I totally understand the feminine aspects of this rocket along with it's name. I just wanted to do something different I guess. Like Phred mentioned the kit design was just blah to me too.

As of now... the rocket is assembled, the fins, and 1/4" lugs are on and I've been doing fillets. I'm not sure if I want to go with the cover art and use the waterslide decals or come up with something else. Sorry no new pics yet.

I totally understand the feminine aspects of this rocket along with it's name. I just wanted to do something different I guess. Like Phred mentioned the kit design was just blah to me too.

As of now... the rocket is assembled, the fins, and 1/4" lugs are on and I've been doing fillets. I'm not sure if I want to go with the cover art and use the waterslide decals or come up with something else. Sorry no new pics yet.

So let me get this straight: All you did was add Astron Bandit fins (3) and a longer nose cone and THAT made the difference? Amazing :) Oh, slightly large Bandit fins ... and we are talking Aston Bandit K-49/1248. I have never seen a 'citation' version, but if there is such a thing, I must aquire it :)

As for the 36DD name, shouldn't the DD be at the FRONT of the rocket? Like make it a 'Y' configuration and place two big roundish cones up there ;)

For that matter, what should estes come out with next for the Rocket Women out there? We must be fair. Let see, what can I think of:

Big Daddy - Any big and or expensive rocket

The Cheater - Flies in a manner where it lands in the trunk or rocket box of other nearest flier.

One Night Stand - Has a super huge parachute so that the model is guaranteed to float away after its first launch

Long Dong Silver - The name explains its self...

'Goin South - The name also explains its self...

V'Ger

Just finished my 36D today. This rocket is simply stunning! I don't care what ya'll say, this is one eye catching model.

Pic #1

Back