3" Darkstar revisited

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that have missed the boat AGAIN, Wildman has listed the 3" Darkstar on his website for the first time today! The original Black Saturday price several years ago was $99. If you were lucky, you got a Red or Yellow 3" Darkstar today for $150. I really think this rocket deserves a cult following, so if you haven't gotten one yet, it's available for $179.99 whenever you want to join the cult.
My original 3" Darkstar has been restored from a fiery failure of a K750 at Airfest, but flew again last weekend after a complete rebuild of the fincan. First flight went strait and topped out at 10,630 ft on a K635.
Sharon flew her Darkstar for her L2 cert. flight on a K540 to 7288 ft. It was her first flight on that rocket.

Sharon3inDarkstarlevel2cert.jpg

013.jpg

If you have one, post up a picture. If you have one and haven't built it yet, get 'er done!

Finally ordered mine earlier today. Not sure if it's the yellow or red, I didn't specify since I'm painting it regardless.

Can't wait to get it built. Love my Darkstar Jr. and have always felt the 3" version would be the PERFECT size for this design.

Here's my 3" Darkstar.
Custom DarkoStar decals from StickerShock (Donnie Darko)
The launch photo is my L2 flight on a J400 Smoky Sam.
Just flew this baby to 12,578ft on a K300 Longburn. Absolutely fantastic rocket. I paid full price and don't regret a single penny. Although the sale price would be fantastic...

1448765914008.jpg

1448766035596.jpg

If you have one, post up a picture. If you have one and haven't built it yet, get 'er done!

Here is my 3" Darkstar on an Aerotech K700 to 9,538 AGL. I was not happy with the performance of this flight as it coned a bit, and felt it would perform better by shortening it about 3". Since this flight I cut some off the booster and payload equaling about 3". I also removed the camera from the original location and plan to move it further aft, possibly mounting internally with an external lens. Also a new paint job is planned.

Here is a link to the in-flight video

[video=youtube;N4L0TyW7xV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4L0TyW7xV8[/video]

And this is a link to an external video of the same launch which also includes many other launches, including my 54mm MD CF Tomach @ 5min and 37seconds into the video, that flew to 15,730 on a Loki K830 Spit Fire @ Mach 1.89...a pretty loud sparky motor!

[video]https://youtu.be/pc4m1xoCLTM?t=283[/video]

Last edited:
Back