29mm Quest Big Dog, Adapter with a E9-4 for Maiden flight!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86mustang408w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got to fly it yesterday for its maiden flight. Really enjoy doing the 29mm option when possible now on most of my rockets. It worked/works out great, used my chute handmade chute protector too. And 3 for $17 Estes E9-4 at Hobby Lobby.

Attachments

• 20230729_124217.jpg
    20230729_124217.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
nice long burn nice tent setup
Yeah it seemed to burn a little longer than normal. But its a very light rocket too for an E motor. I think it just went, but still it seems like it burned just a little bit longer than usual. I asked myself about 2 or 3 times is it gonna stop!? Then it lost thrust, and as most rockets do that are lighter, it keeps going up, lol...

If you think that happens with light rockets, try one that's heavy with a punchy motor. The inertia will practically double the altitude after the motor burns out.
Yeah I've seen that and had it happen to me even. I just didn't expect that E9-4 to burn that long. It seems like it burned a little extra even to the same motor that went before me in a Super BB. It was one of those, well I regret that right now type deals as it kept going up, lol..

Just bought a "Big Dog" on Sunday at my club's event. I won't probably assemble it until the winter however, as I'm currently creating a "build pile" for when I'm trapped in the house on weekends. Still, I plan on beating the hell out of that rocket as it's one of those "All-purpose" types that can fly in small fields and large.

I just didn't expect that E9-4 to burn that long
Just remember that the lower the number, the lower the thrust, therefore in order for the impulse class to be an "E", it HAS to burn longer (Newton/Seconds). I started messing with an F12 in my Super Big Bertha, and yes, that's a long burn.

Just remember that the lower the number, the lower the thrust, therefore in order for the impulse class to be an "E", it HAS to burn longer (Newton/Seconds). I started messing with an F12 in my Super Big Bertha, and yes, that's a long burn.
Ok, yes I'm jogging my memory. I bet that was a long burn! I just need to look again at motors and remind myself of whats what. Some of my rockets are probably better for a longer burn over a quick short burst. Ill get back in shape soon! Lol...

They still had E-9s at Hobby Lobby? I've never seen anything but E-12s at the 13 locations I've been to.
These E9-4's I bought in 2012 and then I built a few rockets back in 2013 and never got to set them off. But now that I got back into this in May, after starting a new collection then and getting this older one back from 2013. I'm fixing and finally flying these. I have a few other posts where I have mentioned the 10 year break. But it just went from an Alpha 3 kit in May from my first time ever trip to Hobby Lobby. Then it turned into me going to my house where all this older stuff was at over in Bloomsburg(I'm moving back family occupied the house while I was living out of town) to get that older collection to merge with this newer one. And its just been work...but while we are on the subject of the Big Dog I was just going to update the post(I made one I think about this 29mm retainer over what they gave me)or this one I forget if there's 2 different threads I believe. Once again surface fins and no tabs are causing issues. The dang thing fell and cracked a fin, even after I put fillets on it. And I went over the other fins with labels and CA in a previous thread cleaning up the tail to get it ready for this SPAAR launch. Which is my first club ever even after starting this hobby in 1990. But BC these 2 fins had the Big Dog decals on them I didn't label those sides when I sanded down and did the other fins. So my best idea now is to sand it down a little. I already put some Med CA in the crack and held it in place. It wasn't super bad but you can see it. So I'm hoping a label(from bottom of fin over the body tube to the bottom of the other fin after its sanded down a little where the one sticker was I peeled off), and fillets on top of that will be enough to keep these fins on it. I'm not gonna be using any big composites these fins won't handle it. I'm even kind of worried they won't take much more. They were broken and fixed too many times and its upsetting bc its all recently but its old and I can't remember what glue I used to attach the fins to the body tube. Its kind of I'm still thinking whats really best right now. The other fins are strong, it's just this one. The CA really made it stay in place. Its pretty rough now. And adding a little more to it will definitely help. I'm at a point where im thinking about getting new decals and just doing a total overhaul. But keep it the same colors. Just sand down and get good bonds with the root chords of the all the fins, and then re-paint and new decals on. I wanted to get it flight ready and did, but an unfortunate drop, then another where idk how it just fell on its own, lol... Has taken a toll on the fins, and especially that one. So if this doesn't work I'm gonna look at giving it a do over if I can get what I need. I looked at these kits and they are 70 bux or so. Plus I'd definitely have fins with tabs made out if plywood and cut tube slots. I mean I could have fins made and do that now. Cut slots, and at least goop it up so the fins stick to the motor tube. Ill see what happens, I just know it would be worse to loose a fin mid flight.

Attachments

• 20230809_135630.jpg
    20230809_135630.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230809_141144.jpg
    20230809_141144.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
ThrustCurve indicates a 3.1-second burn for 27.9 N-sec delivered.

For comparison the E12’s total impulse is comparable (27.2 N-sec) but delivered over 2.4 seconds.

Just bought a "Big Dog" on Sunday at my club's event. I won't probably assemble it until the winter however, as I'm currently creating a "build pile" for when I'm trapped in the house on weekends. Still, I plan on beating the hell out of that rocket as it's one of those "All-purpose" types that can fly in small fields and large.
Thats awesome. I would recommend getting fin tabs. Or cutting those root chords down a little to make tabs that go in the body tube at least a little bit. I used good adhesive on it 10 years ago, and one drop really did a number to the one fin. Its just a suggestion. But my Super Big Bertha fins are so huge and they don't have tabs i had an issue where that broke off had it had fin tabs they would have been fine. I just made my own fins and tail section in 29mm for SBB. I'm sure I didn't build it poorly, its just once again a larger finned rocket with surface mounted fins. I almost afraid to out anything over certain F motors....

Did they ever change the directions for the Big Dog and the motor adapter setup they give you(they gave me a 29mm tube, and D adapter with a motor block in 29mm but the instructions show centering rings and 24mm tube only)? I ended up just putting a 29mm retainer on mine. But unfortunately is does have a motor block in the tube so its limited to smaller length motors. Which is a good thing I think any G composite in mine would disintegrate the fins.

Last edited:

For comparison the E12’s total impulse is comparable (27.2 N-sec) but delivered over 2.4 seconds.
Ok. I didn't check yet it just seemed a little longer. Maybe it was just the excitement of finally getting in the air after 10 years of thinking about it.

If you want to be safer on that field, a D12 is a better bet. Near as matters to the same thrust profile as an E12, just doesn't go as long at the end.
It was my first time there, and first ever at a group launch. I did aim the launch rod quite a bit after the flight before mine. Had I not done that it would have gone in those trees for sure. I'm going to have to get used to these new spots. I'm getting decent and getting them back it only took 3 decades to get better, lol. I flew my Big Daddy on a D12-3 first in the field, it was a nice one. I got my Leviathan up too well after that Big Dog though probably by 2 hours. But the wind was bad for the Leviathan and I'm lucky it came down fast. But all in all it was a good day. The field is very long one way, but not much the other. When the wind wasn't bad or flowing I think they said south to north its really perfect for a little higher one then that Big Dog went. Honesty there were quite a few that really got up there pretty good for that spot. They did a Zephyr on a G80-10. Here's that link to my page with others, if Interested. The dropped pin in the middle of the field is right where we were at.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230809-184025_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230809-184025_Maps.jpg
    958 KB · Views: 0
Thats awesome. I would recommend getting fin tabs. Or cutting those root chords down a little to make tabs that go in the body tube at least a little bit.
I don't ever build a kit "stock", I always modify it to be heavier and more durable. I always assume that I'm going to be putting in motors it wasn't originally designed for. I may even try fiberglassing it with 1.5oz glass, but we'll see how it goes. I did the glassing to my Star Orbiter and it came out pretty well.

I don't ever build a kit "stock", I always modify it to be heavier and more durable. I always assume that I'm going to be putting in motors it wasn't originally designed for. I may even try fiberglassing it with 1.5oz glass, but we'll see how it goes. I did the glassing to my Star Orbiter and it came out pretty well.
Ok. Sorry I apologize if I came off like "you have to do that". I understand what you mean. I'm just changing my techniques and doing the same making these more durable and on some its overkill but worth it. It's just a hard lesson to learn a few years later when I wish I would have built it better but I didn't have the knowledge back then. I'm just getting back into this so I'm also trying to catch up on 10 missed years. I'm really thinking about buying another Big Dog kit and making it a better built rocket than the one I have currently.

If you want to be safer on that field, a D12 is a better bet. Near as matters to the same thrust profile as an E12, just doesn't go as long at the end.
Yeah sorry. I have the E9-4 from a few years back. Hobby Lobby has only the E12, which I do go and buy I just mixed them up in the title. Sorry about that. For some reason it won't let me edit this post on my phone.

I wished they still sold the E-9s, but I guess they CATO'd a lot. I've only had 2 E-12 Catos and have used at least 50 in the past 2 years. For the price the E-12s are a lot of fun. The E-20 Composites I tried were not worth more than double the price IMO and my rockets are light enough for the E-12 to work great.

I can definitely use a label as help to hold this one troublesome fin. Its already pretty tough as I put CA in the cracked spot. I'm just thinking of the best way to put the label on. I think this, and maybe fillets(I might put some glue under a label I have many spare or extra I can use. I just wanted to try it out, then paint should hopefully be enough to fly this a few more times. It has a dedicated stand thats fastened very well so ill have to be more mindful where I have some of these stored. These two fins with the stickers are the only ones I didn't put labels on a few weeks ago when I freshened that tail up for flight, and you can tell its thr only fin that broke after hitting a hardwood floor. I'm still throwing around the idea of getting a new sticker kit and re-painting the entire rocket, and ill do these two last fins properly. But for now the label will work. I might do fillets under, then put the label on. Still thinking...

Attachments

• 20230810_204614.jpg
    20230810_204614.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
I wished they still sold the E-9s, but I guess they CATO'd a lot. I've only had 2 E-12 Catos and have used at least 50 in the past 2 years. For the price the E-12s are a lot of fun. The E-20 Composites I tried were not worth more than double the price IMO and my rockets are light enough for the E-12 to work great.
Yeah they are nice motors. I think it was around 2012/13 or so the E9's CATOs started to be pretty bad if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about the E12's. I only bought E9-4s and 6's I believe back around 2012 that were manufactured in 2009/10. I remember reading on here even about the majors issues happening with them then after I had bought them. But I think it was only certain manufacture dates that they had a real good chance of a CATO.

Even lately on Facebook a guy had a CATO E12, then he used another one out of the same pack, and destroyed another rocket. I have these old E9-4s and I'm very cautious with them and don't know of I'll buy anymore. I'm leaning towards the composite motors now. I almost don't want to use them now or buy them(E12's) from Hobby Lobby the more I think about it, but for the price its hard not too. And Estes seems to be pretty good at paying for all damages and then some. So, I'm still kind of should I use them or not... I guess very sparingly and choose wisely what they go in.

I am glad to see you are flying your Quest Big Dog kit and enjoying it.

When the kit was first released I did a semi-review of the model:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/quest-big-dog-kit.8476/
I really like it. Built it 10 years ago, was just confused about what they give you for the motor and what the instructions said. I was sure they missed or forgot parts but didn't. But unfortunately then it sat for almost 10 years. Its really a nice rocket, I was looking at new kits and they are a bit pricey. If I build another one its going to have fins tabs. So now its probably close to 100 bux for that build with everything else added in, so for now I might hold off on buying a new kit. But thank you, I'll sit and read that review here shortly.

I am glad to see you are flying your Quest Big Dog kit and enjoying it.

When the kit was first released I did a semi-review of the model:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/quest-big-dog-kit.8476/
That was a nice review! I not sure why but painted my nosecone black. I mean, mine flies. I'm happy. I would have liked to flown it years ago but I didn't. You can tell its sat for a while. But im slowly giving these older ones some life. I'm just again still not sure if I want to buy/build another one. I would really like to build a fresh one now, and then get it up in the air over it just sitting. I just decided to put that motor retainer on it not long ago. Next week I might try a F composite but im not sure. I mean I have many motor choices now, and most of my rockets like this can fly on D and E-BP motors which saves me money and I can test them out around here. But like I said above, being very cautious of those E motors. I really do like this rocket, only thing that threw me off was the motor tube/adapter and directions. It shows a 24mm tube only, and centering rings for that 24mm tube and thats it. But it comes with a 29mm tube and 24mm motor adapter and thats not in the directions. I know its an advanced kit, but I've never seen instructions like that. It was very confusing back then, I just wasn't sure what to do as I was just getting into 29mm stuff then pretty much hit the pause button on rockets and anything g with it for a long time. And I'm not a huge fan of fiction fits. Not that that don't work they do, its just a personal preference on bigger motors I don't like that way of retention. But thats just me. I'm changing that way of thinking too.

Last edited:
After thinking about it, I just used a shipping label from fin to fin, over the body tube also. And then put a layer of this all purpose sealer over that just now. Thats probably the best fix for now, until I see what happens with it. If it works ill just keep flying it like this. Its older, but has a story and it's a great flyer from what I've seen. I'm still really thinking about a complete new build, but that will depend on how this lasts. I'm going to be very mindful of motors but not going to limit it. Ill take it one launch at a time. I'm hoping to get it up next weekend on some sort of composite but probably after a D12-5 flight to see how it goes.

Attachments

• 20230813_122251.jpg
    20230813_122251.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Well, I just checked the fins and that sealer is dry. They don't not move, at all. Looks like this fix might work. I might hit it with one more cost of that sealer.

Back