29mm Featherweight Avionics Bay Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Person
Reaction score
I am looking at getting one of these to use a newly acquired Raven 2 in. One the website there is only a CAD model of the 38 and the manual doesn't specify this (that I saw), do the bulkheads/PCBs fit in a 29mm body tube or a coupler? Also if anyone already has a model of one that would be excellent.

Side question, would the Raven4 CAD model be close enough to use instead of modeling the Raven 2 myself? Or does someone happen to have a .step file of the Raven 2 (250G model)? I can always send Featherweight a message but I know he is busy developing the Blue Raven.

I am looking at getting one of these to use a newly acquired Raven 2 in. One the website there is only a CAD model of the 38 and the manual doesn't specify this (that I saw), do the bulkheads/PCBs fit in a 29mm body tube or a coupler? Also if anyone already has a model of one that would be excellent.

Side question, would the Raven4 CAD model be close enough to use instead of modeling the Raven 2 myself? Or does someone happen to have a .step file of the Raven 2 (250G model)? I can always send Featherweight a message but I know he is busy developing the Blue Raven.
The bulkheads fit inside a 29mm airframe and clamp around a 29mm coupler. The Raven4 mounting holes are shifted inboard a little to accommodate 34 screws but the outer dimensions are the same.

The bulkheads fit inside a 29mm airframe and clamp around a 29mm coupler. The Raven4 mounting holes are shifted inboard a little to accommodate 34 screws but the outer dimensions are the same.
Thank you for that. I ended up sending an email also asking if there were CAD models available. Would it be possible to modify or make new bulkheads that can fit in a 29mm coupler?

Thank you for that. I ended up sending an email also asking if there were CAD models available. Would it be possible to modify or make new bulkheads that can fit in a 29mm coupler?
I don’t have a CAD model for it. The edge of the bulkheads that overlaps the edge of the coupler can be sanded off. But then you would need to come up with some way of restraining the av-bay. The components go pretty much right up to the ID of the coupler.

I don’t have a CAD model for it. The edge of the bulkheads that overlaps the edge of the coupler can be sanded off. But then you would need to come up with some way of restraining the av-bay. The components go pretty much right up to the ID of the coupler.
I plan on making 3D printed bulkheads that sit on the top and extend the length of the bay. I want it this way because I don't wan to cut the coupler down in length. Good to know about the edge though. Thanks for the help, I put in my order for a bunch of stuff today and saw that you have already shipped it :D

I received my order a day early :D

When going through the instructions, I noticed that my plywood battery restraint pieces look different than the instructions. I also can not figure out how they are supposed to go together. Maybe it is because I am using a Raven 2? But I can not find a combination of orientations that makes any sense based on the instructions and the one picture.

I received my order a day early :D

When going through the instructions, I noticed that my plywood battery restraint pieces look different than the instructions. I also can not figure out how they are supposed to go together. Maybe it is because I am using a Raven 2? But I can not find a combination of orientations that makes any sense based on the instructions and the one picture.
Sorry I haven't updated the manual yet. I re-did the plywood spacers to work better with the longer batteries that are the only type available now. This photo may help with the orientation:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/redundant-blue-ravens-in-a-29mm-av-bay.176254/

Back