29 mm motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I tried once it with slippery black electrical tape the motor inserted tightly and still lost a AT RMS 38-240 casing at Tampa last year. That was a $100 mistake just using the wrong tape. Don’t underestimate the cheapo tape instead.

After you have been doing all this for a while, you get more and more attracted to the simple side of rocketry. At least I did. Twist and tape ebays, tape motor retainers and the lime is just down right sexy. The only rub is some fields don’t like tape retention and poopoo any attempts of using it.

I always have a solid bulkhead forward of the longest motor I will ever use. Ubolts for recovery attachment. Nothing but gravity or momentum to cause motor to fall out. Almost all my rockets have Aeropack retainers not but not all.

I use 1/4" vinyl striping tape for building up thrust rings on BP motors. about eight wraps stretched tight works well.

So, if your rocket doesn’t use a screw on retainer, but a clip, you can’t use Aerotech motors?

So, if your rocket doesn’t use a screw on retainer, but a clip, you can’t use Aerotech motors?
Aerotech motors can be used with an engine hook IF it does not exceed the length of the hook. If it's smaller than the hook you will have to use a spacer. 29mm engine casings come in a variety of lengths, some exceed the length of the longest engine hook available. So why bother? Using a screw on retainer or bolt on plate lets you use every length of motor available.

For mid power flying, the 29/40-120 fits in an Aerotech motorhook right?
Correct, as well as the ASP "G" engine hook. Don't know if the AT hook is still available, they took them out of all their kits some years ago. And since the ASP hook is much thinner, they recommend using two hooks 180 deg. apart. The Semroc "F" engine hook only fits the Estes 29mm black powder motors. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back