$21.99 Der Big Red Max Kit on Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to note, the PNC-60AH nose cone and variants (Der Red Max, etc.) is proportionally longer than the Goblin's PNC-55AO. So if you want a Goblin to look right when based on an AH cone, you'll have a ring of airframe color on the bottom of the nose cone.
I am thinking the nose cone in the current Estes PSII DBRM Kit is a AO style of cone and that is why I included the Goblin in my reply above.4CEADF1D-70E9-4979-A060-45E29736396D.jpeg

Last edited:
Damn... How can something go on sale for at Amazon for less than a day? It's back up for $56 and change (making it $57), and I've never seen it cheaper than that which irks me no end. However, I ordered a Big Daddy from Amazon for my "American Daddy" project and got it for under $24 and now Amazon is telling me it's now $37+ -- just in the nick of time I guess... I think Amazon just likes ripping me off. I rarely get any kind of deal, and what makes me really mad is that I see them changing the prices on me. If I'm at work on a PC where they don't know it's "me", Amazon's prices of stuff is generally lower than when I log in with my phone to go buy it and then they see my account and raise the price. 29mm retainers? $10.50 on "anonymous" PC, and $12.99 when I log in with my phone. Seriously Amazon, you are losing me as a customer if you keep this up.
The Big Daddy is $29 right now..
Big Daddy https://a.co/d/9gpVpkV

Mike did indeed cut fins for a 226% Bandit.
View attachment 555164
Mike is currently working on a fin set for a 307% Alpha, and I believe that both of these will be available from Galactic Manufacturing in the near future.

James
Now that's neat. Was this built with an accurate upscale of the oh-so-cool internal baffle system?

So, what I am hearing with the DBRM Nosecone is that I could build an upscale Photon Disruptor. That is an interesting idea and I guess I'd need about 4 or 5 feet of body tubes. Plywood fins would make that pretty heavy, my guess is that I'd need a 38mm motor mount. After I get my L1, this looks like a possibility.

So, what I am hearing with the DBRM Nosecone is that I could build an upscale Photon Disruptor. That is an interesting idea and I guess I'd need about 4 or 5 feet of body tubes. Plywood fins would make that pretty heavy, my guess is that I'd need a 38mm motor mount. After I get my L1, this looks like a possibility.
I would double check the nose cone references. The ones I've seen say it was a different cone from the Red Max, and my eyeball says it was more elliptical.

Edit: Of course they are different cones, heh. I was forgetting they are different body tubes (BT-50 vs. BT-60). 😂 I still think the Photon Disruptor nose was more elliptical.

Last edited:
BMS has the T300 BT in 34” lengths I believe is the same as the PSII BT that Estes sells in the shorter length. I believe BMS has couplers, but Estes currently does not.

Photon Disruptor nose was more elliptical.
It is a PNC-50X, but I don’t know if anyone is making/selling a 3” diameter 50X style of cone? So I am thinking the current 3” diameter cone out of the Amazon bought PSII DBRM Kits is close enough for a 3” diameter Photon Disruptor.

Yes, plus using a 6" extra tubing I had for a payload. I couldn't find a cheap 3" NC. The LOC version is $24!
The LOC cone should also be 3.1" OD with shoulder sized for 3" ID tube instead of roughly 3"/2.9" like the Estes cone. May have walls thick enough to sand to fit, but it wouldn't be fun.

The Doorknob shares its 072695 nose cone with the Big Daddy, but a Big Daddy is only $5 cheaper than a complete Doorknob kit. Yet again, I really wish Estes sold a wider range of spare parts.

The LOC cone should also be 3.1" OD with shoulder sized for 3" ID tube instead of roughly 3"/2.9" like the Estes cone. May have walls thick enough to sand to fit, but it wouldn't be fun.

The Doorknob shares its 072695 nose cone with the Big Daddy, but a Big Daddy is only $5 cheaper than a complete Doorknob kit. Yet again, I really wish Estes sold a wider range of spare parts.
Seems like a good opportunity for 3d printing if you've got the equipment and the knowledge to create the STL.

The BMS PNC300K is longer than the Estes 3-inch cone.
It is a PNC-50X, but I don’t know if anyone is making/selling a 3” diameter 50X style of cone? So I am thinking the current 3” diameter cone out of the Amazon bought PSII DBRM Kits is close enough for a 3” diameter Photon Disruptor.

The Photon Disruptor appears to be a spherically blunted ogive. The fineness ratio is quite a bit less than the DBRM NC.

You could download a nose cone configurator from Thingiverse and learn enough (which isn't very much) OpenSCAD to configure exactly the cone shape you want. Then email the .stl to a 3D print farm.

It's $21.99 again. Finally I got it!!!! Currently shows at $35.40 on the main screen but if you look at the "Other Vendors" tab it's there for $21.99 with Amazon as the vendor!!! 3 week delivery time.

Had it in my cart along with some “screamer” alarms…then looked at my kit inventory spreadsheet and zeroed everything out 😏

Mine arrived last evening. Safely tucked away in my un-used bedroom (which is my storage space), until such time that my "Der Rust Max", which I just finished, gets destroyed, but that might take a year or more. We'll see. Once I start stuffing F52's in there, it might be Bye-Bye Max.

$21.99 deal is back this morning. As mentioned before you have to look at "other sellers" and choose Amazon. It is not in stock, ships in 1 to 2 months. No biggie, I'm not in a hurry. Just ordered a couple more.

I'm making a Doorknob clone out of one of the DBRM kits I bought months ago and plywood fin kit from Launch Labs covered in styrene. I converted the three fin to four fin TTW.

Huh. Wouldn't have done it that way, myself. The Doorknob kit is only $30.## at AC Supply. Comes with the 29mm MMT, screw-on retainer, bigger-better parachute and the right nose cone to be a Doorknob. So it seems like you essentially paid $22 for a piece of tubing that's too short and slotted wrong.

great price for the Max. unfortunately I'm not a fan. NC would be nice for upscale Goblin, citation Patriot, MM, Vigilante, etc. anything with PNC60AH

$21.99 deal is back this morning. As mentioned before you have to look at "other sellers" and choose Amazon. It is not in stock, ships in 1 to 2 months. No biggie, I'm not in a hurry. Just ordered a couple more.
The last time I ordered a few at the 21.99, it was "that" estimated delivery as well. But I got an updated shipping notice 3 days later, and they showed up within a week from order date.

i decided to get one anyway. $22 is hard to beat. But they are gone again😂 Oh well, maybe next time.

Huh. Wouldn't have done it that way, myself. The Doorknob kit is only $30.## at AC Supply. Comes with the 29mm MMT, screw-on retainer, bigger-better parachute and the right nose cone to be a Doorknob. So it seems like you essentially paid $22 for a piece of tubing that's too short and slotted wrong.
AC Supply screws me over for shipping to Hawaii. Plus I like to use the stuff I already have.

Back