• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

20mm paper tube to hold Quest D5-0 motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which rockets are the Quest D-5 motors designed for? I looked at the Quest line of rocket kits and didn't see any of the rockets that are recommend to use a D-5 engine.

Best regards,
Brian

They make bigger kits now. I can't remember what they are called, but they are a lot bigger than what you generally see from quest.

I don't think that Quest's "advanced kits" like the Big Dog and the High-Q are meant to be flown on the D5s. The minimum recommended motor for all of them is a D12. The Big Dog, High-Q and the not-yet-released Quad Runner all list the AT F20W as a recommended motor, which indicates that these models have 29mm motor mounts. I don't see anything in Quest's new catalog or on their website that lists the D5 as a recommended motor.

Mark K.

Which rockets are the Quest D-5 motors designed for? I looked at the Quest line of rocket kits and didn't see any of the rockets that are recommend to use a D-5 engine.

Best regards,
Brian

There is no D-5. It is a D5. A number after a dash is the delay time.

No kits off the shelf right now.

Perfect for competition for folks who design their own models.

Also a perfect FSI E5 replacement motor for any FSI clone rockets. FSI E5 motors were 21mm and this D5 is 20mm diameter.

I don't see anything in Quest's new catalog or on their website that lists the D5 as a recommended motor.
I noticed that, too. Seeing the Advanced Rocketry section of the catalog (pages 18-19), I wondered if they weren't planning a separate catalog for the bigger stuff, when the D8, E and F motors are out.

Doug

New products are being released as they become available (certified, arrive across the ocean and through customs, packaged, etc.). The catalog is a snapshot in time of what was available then. More stuff keeps showing up and is listed on the website all the time, so keep checking that website.

I'm sure the 2011 catalog will be a stunner.

New products are being released as they become available (certified, arrive across the ocean and through customs, packaged, etc.). The catalog is a snapshot in time of what was available then. More stuff keeps showing up and is listed on the website all the time, so keep checking that website.

I'm sure the 2011 catalog will be a stunner.
That's pretty much what I figured. I think that Bill said in his post announcing the D5s something to the effect that Quest was working on some kits for them. I'm looking forward to seeing what Quest brings out over the next 12 months.

Mark K.

Thanks for the information.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have an adapter that will convert a Quest D5 motor mount to accept 18 mm engines? This would allow some flexibility of flying model rockets on the D5 or the more readily available 18 mm engines.

Best regards,
Brian

Bump...

I see that Quest at least offers nice motor tubes just under 4" length and thrust rings for the D5's, but has anyone come across a source of 20mm ID tubing for use in building models? Someone's obviously making lengths now for Quest to be able to carry the shorties, but I'm looking for at least 18-30" lengths. For example, I'd love to be able to launch an egg lofter with a D5 using a piston, and don;t feel as confident in using a 24mm piston with an adaptor/choke for the 20mm motor.

--Chan Stevens

Nope--that's 20mm OD. You can't fit a D5 motor in it. For that matter, you can't fit an 18mm motor in it either without extra tape or an internal adapter tube.

True - but it does work well as a payload tube - BT-20 slips right inside perfectly.

The D5s are very low thrust motors. As such I don't think that they require very strong tubing. A couple of layers of cardstock will certainly be enough.

Brian asked about an 18mm to 20mm adapters. Yes, they exist: BT-30A.

Using ST-8 as a motor tube will leave you with a lot of slop, since the OD of the D5 is 2mm smaller than the ID of the tube. But you can simply install Quest's #10315 D5 motor tube inside of the ST-8, perhaps using one wrap of cardstock as a "centering ring."

I created 20mm to 24mm motor adapters with 3.75" lengths of Semroc Series 085 (LT-085) tubing and their BT-40 tubing. I slit the length of BT-40 down the side, spread it open a little, and glued it inside the LT-085. I bent a length of music wire into the shape of a "classic"-style E motor hook and laid the into a shallow groove that I had cut into the outside of the LT-085 and then filled in the groove with JB Weld until it was even with the outside of the tube. While the epoxy was setting up, I rotated the wire often to keep it from actually becoming bonded. I wanted the wire to be able to rotate but not be able to come out of the groove. I used a little more JB Weld to fill in the gap that ran the length of the tube on the inside where the BT-40 split and spread apart. Once the epoxy had fully hardened several hours later, I had my adapter.

To load the motor, I just rotated the wire to twist the hook out of the way. The motor fit into the tube like a glove. Then I twisted the wire back to retain it and then installed it into my 24mm mount. My mounts almost always have motor hooks; in this case, the hook retains the adapter, and the wire hook in the adapter retains the motor. I used this to launch my FSI Orbit on a D5-6 in April. The Orbit is a perfect rocket for this motor, perhaps even a bit too perfect. It boosted straight up and out of sight, and after the ejection charge blew, we never saw it again. (I think I had a recovery system failure.) The fact that it only had a coat of white primer on it when we launched it into an overcast sky probably didn't help with the tracking. But wow, did it ever go high! This motor will work with lightweight, streamlined rockets like the Orbit. If you were to try to use it in a wide diameter (2+ inches) or somewhat draggy design, or one that was anywhere in the heavy side, I don't think that it would have enough thrust to keep the rocket going upward during the burn. Despite being in the D class, it doesn't really seem like a mid-power motor. It is more like a very long-burning C-11, or maybe even a C6.

Nope--that's 20mm OD. You can't fit a D5 motor in it. For that matter, you can't fit an 18mm motor in it either without extra tape or an internal adapter tube.

Why don't you email or call Quest and see if you can get a longer tube. Nettie has always been really nice and responsive. I looked around for a Quest minimum diameter rocket with those specs and haven't struck anything. Call them is worth the try.

I wonder if you could make a minimum diameter rocket using the 20mm motor mount tube and then glueing T-20 tube into the motor mount? Just put the thrust ring in a little further and butt the T-20 tube up against the thrust ring like the motor mount tube was an external coupler.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could make a minimum diameter rocket using the 20mm motor mount tube and then glueing T-20 tube into the motor mount? Just put the thrust ring in a little further and butt the T-20 tube up against the thrust ring like the motor mount tube was an external coupler.

That would work! Great idea.

Of course, the T-20 body tubes can be blown apart by a strong ejection charge and end up looking like a biscuit dough tube.

Wood fins slightly larger than the original and a bit of orange paint and you can create a Starhawk replicant with superhuman powers of flight.

Or use the T-20 tube as the thrust ring - it doesn't HAVE to be all that thick.

Here's my 11 gram solution for making a 24mm to 20mm adapter for the Quest D5 motor:

MVC-008L-3.jpg

It's a fired Aerotech 24mm F SU case with the nozzle section and the foward closure removed. The ID of Aerotech casing is a near perfect fit for the 20mm D5.

John

Bought 20mm mmt and thrust rings from BMS at NARCON.
A set was $0.75 IIRC

Back