20 year old loads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
received_605301787517987.jpeg
Got some old loads today. Dates on the loads are 2001 (bagged) and 2013 (assuming I understand the codes on the tubes). The Blue Thunder loads should be fine, but the Redlines are going be interesting to light. The H165 is stamped August 27, 2001. A weird feeling for sure how close it is to 9/11. Seriously thought about firing it off today in honour of the firefighters, police, and civilians that lost their life that day :( However my schedule did not allow it.

1 H165R
3 H238T
1 H210R
2 H220T
1 H268R

Are redlines worse to ignite than oxidized white lightning? For old G64's (and similar) I have to sand the grains and use a good igniter (vs a copperhead) but they tend to fly fine from my experience. I think I have an old H268 as well, but haven't looked at it to see if it looks oxidized or if it has swelled.

Hope they all fly great. The H220's are a hoot!

Sandy.

Redlines had issues with delays shortening over time. I'd replace the delay grains or use electronics and plug the ejection well.

Good luck and let us know how they go.

I was staying at the Marriott between the towers on Aug 11, 2001 for a work project. Every year I think about how close I was and thank the stars that I wasn't there a month later but then feel guiltily over those that were there and didn't get to go home to their families.

Are redlines worse to ignite than oxidized white lightning?

Redlines are a lot worse than White Lightning. Strontium Nitrate acts like desiccant and really REALLY wants to pull moisture from the air. Back when I had access to chemicals and equipment, and wanted to make red, I would use a use a vacuum oven to dry the strontium nitrate before putting it in the batch of propellant. The plastic bags AT reloads are packaged in are not rated to keep moisture out so they do breath, so over time the grains will pick up moisture, so I have found that Redline loads over a year old can be hesitant to light. On loads that have more than one grain, and one of the grains is individually sealed, I usually put that grain on the top, and put the older grain on the bottom. What AT really should of done is packaged the grains in the anti static bags that are rated for moisture protection too. (At one point they did this with delay grains... but I mention this in the next subject), but I guess they did this because those bags are a more expensive. This is exactly why AMW loads were packaged in Anti-static Anti Moisture rated Bags. In Theory, An Sealed AMW load will last forever.

Redlines had issues with delays shortening over time. I'd replace the delay grains or use electronics and plug the ejection well.

Yeah, the Ferrocene cross contaminates the delay grains, causing the delay to burn a lot faster than intended. Aerotech has done several things to attempt to rectify this problem. I remember them sealing the RMS bag, then inserting the delay grain, then sealing it again, than attach the header card. I've seen them put them put the delay grain in a silver anti-static anti-moisture bag. Ive seen them bag the propellant. (This makes me wonder if the BT used for the G138 has ferrocene in it because its propellant grain is in its own silver anti-static anti-moisture bag.) It's important to keep the delay separated from the propellant.

All three Redline loads I got did not come with delay grains, They have a label on them that say delay grains are not included and give a list of which RDK is appropriate for that load. Ironically the list is wrong, because the first choice (S) was correct, but the M and L were for 38mm loads. LOL. Not to worry, I have the appropriate RDK for the M delay. I just need to get my hands on a forward seal disk.

Now here comes a FUN FACT TIME!

I was present at the NAR S&T testing session where we test fired 29mm and 38mm H-I Redline loads for certification. That date was June 3, 2001. Official certification would of come later.
PreppingH268.jpg
22 year old me loading a H268 on the test stand.

H268-RedFlame.jpg
Beautiful H268 Redline Flame. Almost looks like a lightsaber blade.

I would definitely scrape the oxidized ends of the grains before assembly and scrape the inside of the the top of the forward grain adjacent where the igniter sits. This will expose fresh propellant. Don't bother using the copper head igniters - use some HP Firstfire ones instead. As mentioned by heada, the delay grains might be iffy, too. Scrape the surface of them too, if you use them. My experience with old delay grains is that they appear to increase the delay, or not burn fully.

Have fun!

The redlines did not come with any delay grains, so I will be using a grain from a RDK pack, so that is not an issue. As I mentioned before, I use the freshest grains on the top. Care has to be taken when prepping the grain. You don't want to create a dusty surface that is to flammable that will ignite and then instantly snuff out. I carefully scrape away some of the old propellant and creates some "fins" to catch the flame front. I also add a "booster" to the top of grain. Blue propellant is my propellant of choice for that. As far as old delays, Redlines, will run short if the delay is stored in the same bag.

Back