20,000 feet or BUST!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The G10 fin stock arrived yesterday. I decided to go with 3/32" G10 for the fins instead of 1/16". I am planning on using the raven for the electronics in the upper stage. I am using it to: seperate the stages, light the second stage and deploy the parachute. Now there are four outputs, and I am using three functions. Should I use the fourth output as a backup for the main charge, or deploy a reefed chute and de-reef it at a low altitude. What is the prefered method for cutting G10? My dad is of the opinion that we should score an snap it, but I just want a second opinion.

So the electronics for ignition/separation are in the second stage? Have you thought of just drag separating the first and second stage. You will probably save time, weight, and trouble doing this. Having a charge to separate stages takes up a lot of space in a 29mm rocket. I am even skeptical that it can be done. I flew an I284 in a 54mm booster and staged that to an Ellis H50 a few years ago. I got just over 10,000 ft. Booster used motor ejection for deployment and had a timer to ignite the second stage. I elected to have the electronics in the booster because: a. running wires down the side of a 29mm rocket no matter how small creates tons of drag. b. The 29mm tube was already jam packed with one altimeter firing one charge. The second stage used a perfect flight altimeter for deployment. Test fit everything at home because trying to get an altimeter into and running wires from a 29mm payload section is hard. If you are running more than just a single charge (like your talking about) I imagine it's going to take quite a while. Do the CTI 29mm motors have a lip on them? How are you going to connect the two 29mm stages? Good luck!

You can get a flush aft closure for the CTI motors, and the motor will be acting as the coupler. On the upper stage, I will try to sand a groove in the inner paper tube and run the magnet wire through that.

Back