2.5" Fiberglass L1 Rocket Recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not always question rules where I fly...it's just easier to abide by them. Especially when there is a 50,000ft waiver involved.

You would need to talk to a Kloudbuster member, to get the explanation.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 1.59.23 PM.png

Good discussion. I hadn't been toying with going for L1 but now it's a tempting goal to shoot for. I had been planning on ordering the LOC Iris 3.1". Seems to be a really decent value, although it's not FG.

I had no intention of going above G motors but following all these discussions has me intersted for sure.

Good discussion. I hadn't been toying with going for L1 but now it's a tempting goal to shoot for. I had been planning on ordering the LOC Iris 3.1". Seems to be a really decent value, although it's not FG.

I had no intention of going above G motors but following all these discussions has me intersted for sure.

Heh. When I started out, I had no intention of going over H. Then I had no intention of L2. Now I have no intention of L3. :)

2.6 yes But depends on kit. I have 2.1's that are easier due to payload being longer, than some 2.6 kits
skip aluminum BP's if you have GPS or tracking in the bay [or future]
Topflight for value
Only place I know of prohibiting Al Nose cone tip [showing] ...is Argonia. BUT you may paint or magic marker the tip, no need to remove to fly there.

Good point Jim. A long Payload/av bay makes it about even in my eye too. Also, Additive Eng. products and lithium batteries make a big difference too.

I'll bite, why prohibit the appearance of aluminum noses?

Don't poke the dragon. I've gotten more hate for provoking this.... It's a stupid, deceitful rule. But it's their rule so follow it or choose not to fly there.

My 2.6" screech from madcow is one of my favorite rockets. But, it caps out around 9,000' with a Loki K1127/ Aerotech J510W. Cool flight, but a 2.2" will get a bit higher on the same, and faster.

I really like the size of a 2.6" Enough room to not be cramped, but small and light enough to get up there and still be easy to transport.

after recovery at LDRSwhateverIforget-
19352150192_cd406bb617_c.jpg

In a direct headon collision, I'm not sure which would come out in better shape.
Wait, is that the wrong kind of "vs"?

Lol, being serious this time, both are fiberglass, both give fire out the back, both come from reliable vendors. Which one speaks to you more?

I'm not aware of ****** rocketry doing colored tubes. Their schtick is the decals and decoration (also high quality kits, don't forget that part)

I keep forgetting to let you know how incredibly funny I found that reply, lol! :)

Donnie dont worry about flying aluminum tipped nose cones. Just paint it. No more using tape or magic markers at Argonia. That is what I was told by Bob Brown himself. Paint it and you are fine.
I also like the alum. tips for use as an anchor point inside the nose cone (for HED). Also these type of NC's usaully come with a separate shoulder (short coupler) and bulkhead that gets glued into the NC. The NC is then easily adapted to hold a tracker too.

I got the 54mm version of the Madcow DX3 4". For my L1 cert ( hopefully this weekend ) i bought a 38mm motor adapter and will do a single deployment flight. For my L2 cert i can convert to dual deployment and then use a regular 54mm motor. I think using a 54mm rocket with a 38mm adapter is a good way to future proof yourself as much as you can.
I had a similar plan for my L1 cert. I shifted gears at the last minute because the Dx was not finished. Got my L1 on a 2.6" North Coast Lance Delta 29mm, AT H130. The Dx flew dual deployment a couple of weeks ago on a 38mm AT H123. No altitude records were broken on that flight.

Let me know what you end up going with! I just got Jr. L1 certified and am looking for a new build similar to what you have in mind. I did my L1 cert with a Mad Cow 2.6” Discovery on an H-165R. Solid flight to 2,300. Now looking for something in the 2.2” fiberglass range. Hoping to get up to 5/6K!

Try a Blackhawk 29 MD if all you want is altitude. It’ll even break Mach.

There’s less parts. So it’s easy. The challenge is finding it again, seriously.

I do not always question rules where I fly...it's just easier to abide by them. Especially when there is a 50,000ft waiver involved.

You would need to talk to a Kloudbuster member, to get the explanation.

View attachment 363052

I do dream of flying at Kloudbusters one day, but I’m making this up. It sounds like a rule there just to make sure you have read the rule and are trying to follow them. Kind of like Van Halen’s brown M&M clause: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/brown-out/

The contract rider read like a version of the Chinese Yellow Pages because there was so much equipment, and so many human beings to make it function. So just as a little test, in the technical aspect of the rider, it would say “Article 148: There will be fifteen amperage voltage sockets at twenty-foot spaces, evenly, providing nineteen amperes …” This kind of thing. And article number 126, in the middle of nowhere, was: “There will be no brown M&M’s in the backstage area, upon pain of forfeiture of the show, with full compensation.”

So, when I would walk backstage, if I saw a brown M&M in that bowl … well, line-check the entire production. Guaranteed you’re going to arrive at a technical error. They didn’t read the contract. Guaranteed you’d run into a problem. Sometimes it would threaten to just destroy the whole show. Something like, literally, life-threatening.

I do dream of flying at Kloudbusters one day, but I’m making this up. It sounds like a rule there just to make sure you have read the rule and are trying to follow them. Kind of like Van Halen’s brown M&M clause: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/brown-out/

The contract rider read like a version of the Chinese Yellow Pages because there was so much equipment, and so many human beings to make it function. So just as a little test, in the technical aspect of the rider, it would say “Article 148: There will be fifteen amperage voltage sockets at twenty-foot spaces, evenly, providing nineteen amperes …” This kind of thing. And article number 126, in the middle of nowhere, was: “There will be no brown M&M’s in the backstage area, upon pain of forfeiture of the show, with full compensation.”

So, when I would walk backstage, if I saw a brown M&M in that bowl … well, line-check the entire production. Guaranteed you’re going to arrive at a technical error. They didn’t read the contract. Guaranteed you’d run into a problem. Sometimes it would threaten to just destroy the whole show. Something like, literally, life-threatening.

I wonder if the M&M clause was added before or after the incident in Sri Lanka when Del Preston beat a shopkeeper and his son to death with their own shoes just to get 1000 brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass for Ozzy or he wouldn't go on stage?! :D

I would have to agree with KISS. Mine was done with LOC 4" Phoenix and AT H235ST. Apoggee was about 600' and deployment was at the pucker factor, but loved seeing the whole show. I have used Wildman parts and they are top notch, you would not go wrong with his stuff. But many vendors have good products, do some research, ask questions as you are and get what you want. I like scale stuff, but fast is GOOD too!

With a 2.5 to 3 inch rocket there is more room to work, and may not go out of sight with an H motor. Better to keep it where you can see it for a cert flight.

While not fiberglass, I used a PML Explorer for level 1. It is available with 38 mm mount for no extra charge. Quantum tube is pretty forgiving, and the piston ejection system is very easy to use.

Further update...

My wife has decided she wants to get her L1 as well, and has absconded my Warrior Jr., Lol!

So now, I'm leaning towards either a 2.6in Darkstar or a 3in Punisher. Either way, it will be with a 54mm motor mount, and an adapter for my 38mm hardware.

If Wildman had a FWFG nose cone in the 2.6in series that would probably tip me to the Darkstar... but as it stands, not sure.

Open to suggestions at this point again, lol.

Last edited:
I think Tim would substitute the stock NC for a FWFG one if he has them. Call and ask. I think both Punisher and DS are good choices. I DO like the FWFG NC's better myself. Good luck to your wife's level 1 too!

Ordered a Darkstar Jr. just a few minutes ago, as well as another Eggfinder Mini and a Proton to go with the Mini and Quantum I've already built (wife and I don't share well, lol).

We ARE still planning to share motor hardware, at least for now, lol.

Nice! We recently joined a fab lab so i have access to a printer, but no cad software at home yet.

Is this intended to be open source or purchased from you?

Much obliged! I'll put it on the to-do list, lol. Still have to build the rockets and get certified first... planning to do motor eject without a payload bay on a small H for cert flights (plural because my wife is doing hers as well), then move directly into learning dual deploy.

Honestly a couple months out if I'm being honest, but i'll be sure to let you know if we use it!!!

Thanks again!!!

Back