187% Upscale Mean Machine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csoechtig

Reaction score
I wanted to add some diversity to my fleet and figured an Upscale Mean Machine would do the trick :cool:

This bad boy will be scratch built using LOC Precision parts and will stand about 12 feet tall.

Here’s some specs…
  • Total Length 144”
  • 4x 3.1” LOC Tubes – all wrapped with 2 layers of 5.79 oz. fiberglass
  • 1 XL LOC AV Bay
  • 2x LOC Couplers with Stiffy reinforcement
  • 1/8” plywood fins with 1 layer of 5.79 oz. Fiberglass for strength
  • 54mm MMT
  • Estimated final weight (w/o motor): 6.5 lbs.
  • LOC Bulk Heads, Center rings, etc.

I did not photo document the early steps of the build. Here’s what I’ve done so far:
  • Glassed all 4 LOC tubes and used light filler with an early coat of Hi Build Primer
  • Prebuilt Fin Can with Aeropack Motor Retainer and Aeropoxy internal filets.
  • Put together 2 couplers with Stiffy reinforcement and added Bulkheads for recovery attachment
  • Attached 1010 rail guides

Here are some photo’s

prebuilt Fin-can

MM3.jpg

Upper section with Coupler

MM4.jpg

A quick dry-fit

MM1.jpg

Next steps…
  • Secure fin-can
  • Fill Fin Slots and add outer fillets to fins
  • Add pemnuts and screws to secure upper and lower sections (this is so it can be broken down for transport)
  • Rig electronics (2x Stratologgers) for DD with redundancy
  • Paint and apply Sticker Shock Decals

I am planning a low altitude test flight (+/- 1,500 ft. with an I285R). If all goes well, I will step it up to a J for the second flight. Exact motor TBD.

Attachments

• MM4.jpg
    MM4.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
That's one tall rocket Chris. Won't have to reach so high to get it out of a tree.lol Look forward to see it fly.

Finally fished my Upscale Mean Machine today. She stands 12 feet tall and weighs about 7.5 lbs. The first launch is scheduled for Saturday on a 38mm AeroTech I285R. I expect about 1,500 ft. If all goes well, the next flight will be on a 54mm J180T. That should push it to about 3,000 ft.

006.jpg

008.jpg

That's Awesome! I look forward to seeing some pictures of the flight!

I've got a butt-tonne of 3-1/4" tubes. Maybe I should spin up a nose cone and make a ~2x upscale?

That is the tallest rocket I've ever seen. Good job- can't wait to see it fly!

Chris you flying it at nefar or ttra?

Hey Bill,

I am going to TRIPOLI FORT MYERS this Saturday. It will be my first time there. They launch the first Saturday of every month.

Unfortunately, I am out of town Sept 22 -23 and will miss Buccaneer blast at TTRA. I'll be back for the October launch.

Chris

I think you get the record for the longest rocket - really looks great!! Hope yours flies better than mine did back in the early 80's....... I had launch fever and didn't wait to get a sturdier launch platform. The undersized launch rod bent and it never made it off the pad. The back end and motor mount got fatally scorched by the exhaust coming back off of the deflector plate. It was depressing to see all that hard earned lawn mower money get fried.

Something tells me yours won't need any nose weight...... :D That thing is going to ROCK OUT on a "J".

Good luck on the launch, sure wish I was there to see it!

The maiden flight of the upscale Mean Machine happened yesterday. It weighted 9lbs 3oz on the pad, was packed with an A.T. I285R, and reached 1,244ft at apogee.

I was VERY pleased with the flight. It flew straight as an arrow and the deployments worked great. The rocket is so long that it doesn't even arch over. It stayed perfectly vertical when it paused at apogee and the separation took place. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different motors.

Mean Machine pre-launch.jpg

Mean Machine Launch.JPG

Here's the video... To put the length of the rocket in perspective, I have 40 feet of shock cord for the drogue and 35 feet for the main :D
[video=youtube;QuyHZJY0Kb8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyHZJY0Kb8[/video]

Last edited:
Nice. That place looks like a place over here. its a abandon housing project. lots of streets with no houses.

Nice. That place looks like a place over here. its a abandon housing project. lots of streets with no houses.

Bill,

That's exactly what the field is - a bankrupt housing development with no homes.

This club is run by a really good group of guys. They host launches the first Saturday of the month and it always includes Research motors. In fact, that's why the pads were so far away. The area is HUGE. With the exception of a creek on the west side of the field, there is very little risk of losing a rocket (to the tree gods). That being said, a tracker is a must! The foliage is thick.

I would head back on October 5th. Unfortunately, I am out of town that weekend. My next launch with be at TTRA on October 19th.

Last edited:
I launched my Upscale Mean Machine yesterday on a J180T. I am blown away with how straight this over-stable rocket flies. It was an absolutely beautiful flight with perfect DD recovery. The altimeters beeped out EXACTLY 3,000 ft.

I launched my Upscale Mean Machine yesterday on a J180T. I am blown away with how straight this over-stable rocket flies. It was an absolutely beautiful flight with perfect DD recovery. The altimeters beeped out EXACTLY 3,000 ft.

003.jpg

[video=youtube;G_tx15lBN7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G_tx15lBN7E[/video]

Thank you for sharing the videos Chris! Awesome launches (as always). Looks like I missed a great day at the field. :-(

Hope to see you guys out there soon with my new Magnum and HyperLoc rockets.

That was a awesome flight Chris. That L DM was even more awesome. Who oiled that long rail. There was black oil all over my rocket when I got to it. And on me from putting it on the rail. But it sure did leave the pad good on that K 456 DM.

Awesome rocket and nice launch videos, thanks for sharing.

That was a awesome flight Chris. That L DM was even more awesome. Who oiled that long rail. There was black oil all over my rocket when I got to it. And on me from putting it on the rail. But it sure did leave the pad good on that K 456 DM.

Hey Bill,

I don't think that was black oil on the pad. I believe it was a combination of light silicone with residue from my Dark Matter Motor. The L900DM can leave a little bit of a mess. The launch pad is in this cloud somewhere :y:

HyperLOC1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back