16.5" Thor or Thor-X for LDRS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just rockets

Reaction score
We are trying to decide which Thor to do for LDRS, The classic Thor or the New Thor -X. Either one will be 16.5" in Dia. cause I already have the mold for the nose cone. The classic Thor would be 28' tall while the Thor -X would be 30' tall. The motors have already been decided. 1 N4000 Blue Baboon and 3 M2200 Skid Marks. Will post pics once we start the build. If it all works out, We will also fly it on EX day with our own brew of Skid Marks/Sparkys. Scott

Originally posted by rocketkyle
classic thor all the way!

Ditto!

Also, can you E-mail me at bnu (@) comast (.) net som pics of your fiberglass nosecone molds/detup? I am working on making some and I want to see some others.

thanx, Ben

I simply love the Thor, so I don't think it matters which one you build, either will be a great project. Look forward to seeing the build pictures. Good Luck.

Classic. Then do it in a *matched* Purple and black color scheme with a silver/chrome foil wrap (why not???)

ps: I say purple because it is the traditional color of royalty. This would be the "King Thor", after all, wouldn't it? :D

Well that cats out of the bag!

these beasts Sim out strange, still fudging the figures, hard to get the weights correct on the Airframes and a good guess about the nose cone weight.

I do know that this is one huge beast and will be very impressive off the Pad, with air starts on the Skidmarks at about 2 second into the flight ( key word"about" )

I too prefer the Thor and the Thor-X, aghhhhhh

we'll let the public decide!!!

But I see a Nadine moment coming!!!!!! :)

Originally posted by rocketkyle
classic thor all the way!
OK, I'll be the one to go against the grain...

From a pure 'product marketing' perspective, I'd suggest the THOR-X.
Everyone knows what they classic Thor looks like. Build the -X and
garner some attention for the new kid in the fleet... ;)

Originally posted by brianc
OK, I'll be the one to go against the grain...

From a pure 'product marketing' perspective, I'd suggest the THOR-X.
Everyone knows what they classic Thor looks like. Build the -X and
garner some attention for the new kid in the fleet... ;)

Heres an Idea :) Contact the Arazona rocket team and have them build the classic and you do the X (or vise versa) and have a Thor off! :D

thanx, Ben

I vote for the X. Sleeker and cooler looking bird, IMO. They're both good though :D

I agree that the classic Thor is a beautiful bird and it truely is a classic design, but it's been done quite a bit. There was a very large Thor at LDRS 25. ( I don't remember how big, but it was big!) I just think the Thor-X would be truely novel, and a great advertisment for a great vendor.

I do have to agree of going with the Thor -X plus it would be great advertisment for the 4" kit. The classic Thor is still a great kit but has been done a lot. I was at last years LDRS and I think it was a 10" Thor. I'll have to get a hold of Hilbilly Rocketry and see if they are game. Scott

Ben;

Thanks for the plug, but the Arizona Rocketry team is already working on a build for LDRS, and we would not have the time to get a second large rocket ready for LDRS. I like Scott's idea of contacting the hillbillys.

As far as the Arizona Rocketry Team's LDRS project all i will say at this time is that it is a joint venture and UpScale Rocketry is the lead group. A formal announcement regarding the LDRS project and the Plaster Blaster projects (2 different builds) will be made at ARG.

If the announcements are not enough to get you to Arizona, consider the fact that it was only 83 yesterday!, Consider the chance to see several AMW's fly, including skidmarks, gg's and bb's! That and the Diab-Glow on a skidmark (what an awesome night flight)!!!

Originally posted by rdbones
Ben;

Thanks for the plug, but the Arizona Rocketry team is already working on a build for LDRS, and we would not have the time to get a second large rocket ready for LDRS. I like Scott's idea of contacting the hillbillys.

As far as the Arizona Rocketry Team's LDRS project all i will say at this time is that it is a joint venture and UpScale Rocketry is the lead group. A formal announcement regarding the LDRS project and the Plaster Blaster projects (2 different builds) will be made at ARG.

If the announcements are not enough to get you to Arizona, consider the fact that it was only 83 yesterday!, Consider the chance to see several AMW's fly, including skidmarks, gg's and bb's! That and the Diab-Glow on a skidmark (what an awesome night flight)!!!

OOHHH :D I didn't know that. Now instead of hoping for 2 Thors I have to wait untill you tell me what your building! ;)

<font size="1"> Tell me! </font>
<font size="2"> Tell me! </font>
<font size="3"> Tell me! </font>
<font size="4"> Tell me! </font>
<font size="5"> Tell me! </font>
<font size="6"> Tell me! </font>
<font size="7"> Tell me! </font>

I hope I can make it to LDRS this year but it all depends on my grades. My dads said if I can pull all A's ( I ususally do all A's B's and a C ) He would HIGHLY consider LDRS :D

thanx, Ben

Heres an Idea Contact the Arazona rocket team and have them build the classic and you do the X (or vise versa) and have a Thor off!

Or you could ask the ArizonaRocketTeam do a huge upscale of the BSD Gila Monster Kit, LOL...... Somehow I dont think that would go over well.

Also, can you E-mail me at bnu (@) comast (.) net som pics of your fiberglass nosecone molds/detup? I am working on making some and I want to see some others.

thanx, Ben As Nose cone molds are no big secret, We do have a couple of different types that we are not willing to share at this time. But trust me, if you build your first one and it comes out exactly like you wanted it to, " YOU DID A GREAT JOB" any thing you think you might want to change will be easy. " I Know" I dusted $7000.00 in molds last year (2006) by dumb things. and my mold maker!!! Just a pointer. Scott

Originally posted by fyrechaser
I agree that the classic Thor is a beautiful bird and it truely is a classic design, but it's been done quite a bit. There was a very large Thor at LDRS 25. ( I don't remember how big, but it was big!) I just think the Thor-X would be truely novel, and a great advertisment for a great vendor.

Pictures of that Thor can be found here it's about 1/3 of the way down the page.

dont want to hi-jack Scott's thread so a quick hint regarding the Up-Scale Rocketry - Arizona Rocketry Teams joint build -

It's not a HPR kit - It IS a LPR kit that will be built.

Check the website - www.arizonarocketryteam.net AFTER ARG for the announcement

I think a Thor-X would be bad ***! As you said, many people have done a traditional Thor (My 8" will be there already), and this will be a great promo for the new kit.

Scott: I e-mailed you a while ago about getting some decals just after you contacted me about being an AMW distributor (Congrats again BTW!). I'll get the measurements this weekend and then get a quote from you. That along with the Fat Tire decal and this bad boy is gonna look SWEET!

so who wants to do the Intrepid?

OK, Who does? Now that would be pretty slick. Contact me if your interested. Scott

Back