1300m with 150g black powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spac M

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Finn
I want to build a rocket that flies over 1300m with only 150g black powder. How do I build this rocket. Thanks in advance

4,265 feet. no commercial black powder Motors will do that as far as I know, which means you're going to have to shoot one off in an experimental rocket in which you're going to have to build your own motor. so you need to research everything you can about getting the motor casings and castings to make a black powder motor of that size.

you forgot to mention that such a motor could NOT be flown at a NAR or TRA event, even as EX as black powder motors are specifically not allowed. See TRA EX Safety code, 5.1.1

don't know what the deal in Germany is, but the first question is "Is this legal to fly in Germany / under any applicable local laws"
second one is "why would you do that, they are dangerous to make and have a low specific impulse"

your answers may vary.

Two-stage Estes F15-0 to F15-8 might get to 1,300m. That would be 120g of propellant. Would require a very light, very smooth build and launching in ideal conditions. You'd need to build a number of other small rockets simply to refine your technique to the point you could do this.

Is 150g a legal limit in Germany? What motors are available?

@Spac M Finn, I strongly suggest you get in touch with the rocket cub, Tripoli Germany, to verify the rules in your country.

You will also find other fliers, and great sources of information there.

Follow this link to find the contact info for the Prefecture in Germany:

https://tripoli.org/content.aspx?page_id=225&club_id=795696

Yes a Two Stage or 1000 stage all is allow.
Stop speculating on the design and figure out the rules.

Focus on that.

A 1300m minimum altitude makes -no sense-. Something is wrong in your source or interpretation. Perhaps it's a maximum altitude somewhere?

I understand that you want to stay below 150g, so that the motor stays within the category P1, but that doesn't mean it has to be BP. Just use a composite motor and 1300m is no problem.
That being said, I'm not aware of any kind of launch event in Germany that requires you to reach 1300m. Are you sure about that requirement? If yes, where do you plan to launch?

Reinhard

Back