12" Bullet Bobby Upscale 4.6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 7.5" has been in the works for about a year! Happy coincidence this 12" custom came about the same time lol, but he also asked permission, which we enthusiastically granted!
Every time I see a Bullet Bobby I wonder if you folks got permission from Nintendo to use the Bullet Bill likeness? :dontknow:

1666874028419.png

Hey Guy's,

Guess I should have mentioned at the beginning of the thread that I corresponded with Launch Lab on scaling up their Bullet Bobby 7.5", 2.9X to a 12", 4.6X in advance of the build.

Hey Guy's,

Guess I should have mentioned at the beginning of the thread that I corresponded with Launch Lab on scaling up their Bullet Bobby 7.5", 2.9X to a 12", 4.6X in advance of the build.
So you got permission from the people that already GOT permission…….does Launch Lab have authority to “deputize” you?

Seems like if you are just building one for your own personal use and not employing it for advertising you don’t need permission anyway.

From

https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/13974/can-you-make-merchandise-for-personal-use
Trademark would not apply to your personal use, because to infringe a trademark, you need to "use" the mark, and "use" in trademark law generally means selling an item that has the mark on it. As far as trademark law is concerned, no sale means no infringement

Since I just got that from Googling, as advice it may only be as valuable as how much it cost me (nothing)

BABBAR,

You are having a debate with yourself derailing a thread that was meant to be fun and inspiring for upscale builds using different materials and techniques. That's what my conversation with Launch Lab was about, not trademarks.

Bullet Billy lives in a monitor, never had fins or flew in the real world. Bullet Bobby was Bullet Billy "inspired".

It appears to me that most rocket kits are real rocket "inspired".

I hope you're enjoying the build.

Every time I see a Bullet Bobby I wonder if you folks got permission from Nintendo to use the Bullet Bill likeness? :dontknow:

Me too. I would love to see someone try to make a version without fins. There's a pretty good chance that someone could design something using a combination of ducted flow, a ring fin, and/or base drag stabilization. I nominate you, @lakeroadster.

BABBAR,

You are having a debate with yourself derailing a thread that was meant to be fun and inspiring for upscale builds using different materials and techniques. That's what my conversation with Launch Lab was about, not trademarks.

Bullet Billy lives in a monitor, never had fins or flew in the real world. Bullet Bobby was Bullet Billy "inspired".

It appears to me that most rocket kits are real rocket "inspired".

I hope you're enjoying the build.
Mea culpa.

yes, I am enjoying the build immensely, and if it flies half as good as it looks it’s an all around winner.

straight trails and short walks!

Hey Guy's,

Looks like winter is winding down where I fly at Bong Park in Wisconsin and I'll get a chance to get out March 11th and see how Bullet Bobby performs.

I put the electronics in today and used a proven method I've built into several larger sport flyers over the years.

It's as simple as it gets using 2 bolts with spacers to secure the electronics sled in place on the inside of the hatch. Very easy to swap or change the sled out.

bbe.jpg

bbe1.jpg

Did you get a chance to fly it on March 11? I’m curious how it turned out and what motor you used.

That thing begs for a fast motor

I‘m kind of in the other camp and prefer longer burns for these kinds of lightweight, high-drag rockets. This kind of rocket flies a bit like a saucer. I like to use a motor that has enough kick to get the rocket off the rail safely, but not much faster than that, and then burn for at least a few more seconds. Drag keeps it slow, and you get to enjoy the burn of the motor as it grinds up into the sky. Probably for safety, you would want to test it out with a faster motor to see how it flies, but if it’s stable and safe, switch to long burns.

"This kind of rocket flies a bit like a saucer."

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I've flown a lot of high power saucers and rockets fly a lot different having a bodytube even in the lightest winds.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to fly on March 11th. I fly in Burlington Wisconsin and they got 8" of snow the day before so the launch was a wash.

I'll be back on April 8th with an AT J-415W. How that flight goes will determine the fin size on my latest build a 12" diameter, 22x "Goony" Mosquito.

mis gooney.JPG

Last edited:
"This kind of rocket flies a bit like a saucer."

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I've flown a lot of high power saucers and rockets fly a lot different having a bodytube even in the lightest winds.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to fly on March 11th. I fly in Burlington Wisconsin and they got 8" of snow the day before so the launch was a wash.

I'll be back on April 8th with an AT J-415W. How that flight goes will determine the fin size on my latest build a 12" diameter, 22x "Goony" Mosquito.

View attachment 568826

Yeah, obviously rockets and saucers fly differently. But there are saucers that are more rocket like, and rockets that are more saucer like, and a transition between the two. That’s why for the very short and stubby rockets, traditional rocket sim programs have trouble and why there are tricks and hacks to get them to show stability margins that will reassure the designer and make them more comfortable that the rocket is stable. The fact is, saucers are stable, and very short, fat rockets are more stable than sims give them credit for.

My point in making the comparison is that the flight is much more dominated by drag than traditional designs, so long-burn motors are great, just like they are for saucers. Long-burn motors in skinny rockets are great for altitude. Long burn motors in fat, lightweight, high-drag rockets are great for slow flights under thrust, that allow you to witness the whole burn at relatively low altitude and low speed, similar to why people like saucers.

Or at least that’s why I build these kinds of rockets and how I like to fly them.

Good luck with your flight!

Back