1.5X Upscale Estes Fat Boy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and voila...glass-smooth fillets. Hopefully I will be ready to spray the first primer coat in the next day or so.

Great step by step build. I need a little education on just exaclty how you got those fillets so smooth and clean. I always seem to get epoxy everywhere and then I have spend an awful lot of time sanding.

I installed the Aero Pack retainer per instructions using JB Weld. I really like the new design with the "lip" that allows perfect alignment. Now a little sanding and hopefully I can start priming today.

Well, I began priming and I started with the fiberglass nose cone. I sanded the entire nose cone with 220 - 320 grit sandpaper and wiped it down with denatured alchohol. I have used Plasti-Kote's Spot Filler and Primer with good success on other projects until this. You will notice in the picture some "white spots" where the primer would just not stick. So I did a search on TRF (isn't this place great?) and found the following post from Carl Tulanko:

"Plastic nosecones, especially those from LOC, usually still have release agents on them from the mold at the factory and need special preparation. Wash the nosecone with white vinegar and a scrubby, which disolves these agents, rinse the nosecone and sand it with 150-220 grit paper, then scrub it with hot soapy water and rinse with hot water. This should remove all traces of mold agents and allow the primer to adhere to these tough nosecones.

If you are working with fiberglass nosecones or body tubes, they also have release agents present from the molding process, so follow the directions provided above for nosecones."

I'm going to sand the primer off and start over again following the suggestions from Carl and see if that doesn't work a little better.

I put an epozy glaze on the aft centering ring to waterproof the wood. A little final sanding and she will be ready for the first coat of primer.

I applied the first coat of primer and I'm planning on two more coats wet sanding after each. After wet sanding the primer off of the nose cone and washing the fiberglass per Carl Tulanko's suggestions the primer adhered much better this time. I hope to get to the color coats this weekend.

This thing is starting to look like a rocket...

Well, I am really behind in my schedule and I haven't had time to work on my Fatboy. I finished the primer coats and finally started spraying the color coats. First I painted the entire rocket baby blue. I used Plasti-Kote's Ultra Enamel. It has some of the same characteristics as Krylon (re-coat anytime). I will then mask off the fins and shoot the red. I use Tamiya masking tape exclusively for the paint edge and blue masking tape for the larger areas.

I used Plasti-Kote's Candy Apple Red Metal Flake for the body and nose. The picture doesn't do this paint justice -- it really sparkles in the sun.

Here is a comparison with my original Fatboy. I will wait for the paint to cure a couple of days before I apply the decals. I hope to launch this baby next weekend...

She looks awesome ! Great job , very very neat indeed.
Karl

Thanks! I can't wait to fly this thing. It turned out a little heavier (mine always do) than I had planned so I will have to make some adjustments in Rocsim and see what motors will work best.

What type of guidence are you using ? Rail or Rod ? Or maybe tower?
Karl

Originally posted by Karl
What type of guidence are you using ? Rail or Rod ? Or maybe tower?
Karl
I plan to launch from a 6' rail...

Originally posted by bsexton
Well, I began priming and.......You will notice in the picture some "white spots" where the primer would just not stick. So I did a search on TRF (isn't this place great?) and found the following post from Carl Tulanko:

"Plastic nosecones, especially those from LOC, usually still have release agents on them from the mold at the factory and need special preparation. Wash the nosecone with white vinegar and a scrubby, which disolves these agents, rinse the nosecone and sand it with 150-220 grit paper, then scrub it with hot soapy water and rinse with hot water. This should remove all traces of mold agents and allow the primer to adhere to these tough nosecones.

I'm going to sand the primer off and start over again following the suggestions from Carl and see if that doesn't work a little better.

Thanks for passing this info along. I thought I was going to go nuts trying to paint the nosecone my Estes Phoenix clone.

Well, I finally finished...I thought this day would never get here! I had a small change in plans. I ended up ordering a set of custom cut vinyl decals from Dave's Roketwerks. I found one of Dave's upscale Fat Boy projects on EMRR and decided to give him a try. The decals turned out great! My original decals from Tango Papa were printed on clear vinyl, and while they were very good I wasn't happy with the blue "FAT" (too navy). I plan to launch my big Fat Boy this weekend on a AT H128W. Hopefully I will have pictures...

Oh now that was amazing! That's what I'm talkin' about! I...ah.gh...ghn....I'm gonna have to buy YOU a pizza!

(strongbad reference)

Jason

Latest posts

Back