Launchsite Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
How about a gallery of our launchsite(s)? Here is one of mine, LUNAR's Snow Ranch. Snow Ranch is an over 100 year old cattle ranch, with a lot of history. There are even indian grinding rocks and carvings. Several movies have been filmed there, and Little House on the Prairie episodes. Not many trees, but lots of rolling hills so recovery can be difficult if your rocket drifts. There is also a creek that has water in it much of the time. But it's a beautiful place, and I always enjoy the launches there.

overview.jpg

tree_creek.jpg

creek1.jpg

creek2.jpg

cows2.jpg

Our Johnstown, NY field...

Range%252520set%252520up%25252C%252520SSL%2525202009.jpg

...and our Guilderland, NY field.

Spaceship%252520Earth%252520saucer%252520on%252520Quest%252520D5%252520for%252520Earth%252520Day%25252C%2525202010.jpg

This is the only tree anywhere near our launchsite. No grass, no water for miles. Just greasewood and cactus.
The SSS Rainbow Valley launch site:
035-Copy.jpg

B6-4 Field in fabulous South Ft. Thomas, KY.
The...legendary...B6-4 field!?! :surprised:

If I get a chance tomorrow and it stops raining I'll post a picture of my local Abie Cee field.

Last edited:
The fields...Corn and hay. When thier cut I have lots and lots of room.This is one side of the dirt road and they other side is just as big.The pic with the dirt field is the other side in the spring Hardly a sole travels the road which I like very much.Sorry to say,Im not one to have a bunch of people around when I launch.

HV Ready for launch.JPG

AZ Adapter2.JPG

AZ Launch.JPG

Last edited:
Qquake, MarkII, Fishead: Those look like nice venues but what is all that green stuff?

Even Wayco seems to have a little bit of it.

This is the only tree anywhere near our launchsite. No grass, no water for miles. Just greasewood and cactus.
035-Copy.jpg

Actually, Rainbow Valley is green in the spring. It's almost purty. Looks like Moe is taking pictures as usual.

Actually, Rainbow Valley is green in the spring. It's almost purty. Looks like Moe is taking pictures as usual.

Yeah, I've seen it green out there too, usually lasts for a couple of weeks. We actually get wildflowers sometimes too, but Arizona, after all, is the arid zone....

Qquake, MarkII, Fishead: Those look like nice venues but what is all that green stuff?

Even Wayco seems to have a little bit of it.
Well, just imagine: in two or three months it will all be covered with white stuff.

No - parachute talc. Lots and lots of parachute/streamer talc. Big drifts of it, in fact. And all of it rather cold to the touch.

Cold. I've heard of that. It's like Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. People over the age of 10 have given up on those fables.

Cold. I've heard of that. It's like Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. People over the age of 10 have given up on those fables.
Apparently restaurants, supermarkets and beer distributors in Texas have never been equipped with walk-in refrigerators and freezers.

Apparently restaurants, supermarkets and beer distributors in Texas have never been equipped with walk-in refrigerators and freezers.

We were referring, I thought, to the great outdoors.

Some people put stock in that fancy-schmancy equipment to cool their drinks but generally, down here, we find it more cost effective to look for a wife and mention what a great "investment" a new rocket would make and then hold the beverage in her gaze for a few seconds. Of course, you don't want to go overboard or your fingers might get frostbite.

:eyeroll:

...look for a wife and mention what a great "investment" a new rocket would make and then hold the beverage in her gaze for a few seconds. Of course, you don't want to go overboard or your fingers might get frostbite.

:eyeroll:
What kind of cryogenic "beverage" would make the glass so cold that your skin would freeze if you held it for more than few seconds?

What kind of cryogenic "beverage" would make the glass so cold that your skin would freeze if you held it for more than few seconds?

Whatever I'm holding when I tell SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED that I'd like to spend some money on rocket stuff.

Actually, I was joshing you about the snow. (You knew that). I had some experience with it back when I worked in the arctic. Some of those chilly gazes from my wife can make me long for the warmth of the Smith Sound and Kane Basin.:rolleyes:

035-Copy.jpg

At NARAM-48 I hung my Enerjet 1340 clone in that tree! ;) :D

N48-089 Enerjet 1340 landed in tall bush.jpg

035-Copy.jpg

I see at least three more trees in that picture:wink:

Initiator001. So you're one of the famous five. Congrats...lol

Mcderek, those are not trees, believe it or not. They are giant tumble weeds. The Sonoran Desert is the only place sajuaro cactus and giant tumble weeds grow.

It's my LPR test range. Not far from home, the sweet home.

Pl_01.jpg

Pl_02.jpg

Pl_03.jpg

Pl_04.jpg

Last edited:
It's my LPR test range. Not far from home, the sweet home.

That's Moscow in the background, I assume. Very nice. You're lucky to have such a nice launchsite so close to the city.

That's Moscow in the background, I assume. Very nice.

It is the Moscow city territory, Kremlin in 15 kilometers from this place.

You can see an overgrown RC landing strip in the center. They no longer fly there. The run-off pond is dry during the Summer, but it got filled up to the brim Saturday night.
Screenshot2011-08-29at92921AM.png

Last edited:
Here's my schoolyard soccer field launch site.
It's good for up to a B engine or a C in a saucer.

I've had models land in the streets bordering the launch area and in a few backyards.
Usually I'll launch from the center of the soccer field itself.

You may have heard Chickasaw Trail mentioned in the news, one mile up the road is the Casey Anthony residence and where they found the toddler's body.

LaunchSite1_WEB.jpg

Launch 8.29.11 013_WEB.jpg

At NARAM-48 I hung my Enerjet 1340 clone in that tree! ;) :D

I didn't know that (almost a) tree had a history! Hope the recovery wasn't too difficult. :roll:

I see at least three more trees in that picture:wink:

You have to be pretty generous to call them trees, especially if you live in Washington. I've seen philodendron plants in your state bigger that that poor little mesquite bush.

Back