My 2007 Nevada rocketry trip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
I recently returned from my annual Nevada rocketry and camping trip, and have uploaded photos from the trip beginning with this one:

https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009006&a=32571841&p=75778602

You can click through the rest from there, or go here to choose from thumbnails:
https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009006&a=32571841&f=

There are a lot of pics this year, so I lumped all the aerial photos near the beginning of the album for the rocketry fans who might wish to skip everything else. But the ghost town pics are pretty cool too. :)

-----------------

This trip didn't start well. After just thirty minutes on the road, my Trooper's mysterious engine problem cropped up again, missing badly and losing power going up hill. I pulled off the freeway in Temecula and located a repair shop. Once again, the computer failed to save a trouble code. But with a little mechanical detective work and some deductive reasoning, they narrowed it down to a couple possibilities and soon found the culprit: bad rubber "boots" on the spark plug wires. Two hours after leaving the freeway, I was back on the road again! A big "thank you" to Tony at Classic Automotive Repair.

Next stop was Johannesburg, a small mining town in the Mojave desert. Didn't have time to see much there but did get some pics of a large wooden headframe. Shortly before sundown I made the first launch of the trip, firing off a small camera rocket near a railroad siding at Searles summit. Got a pretty nice photo of long strings of covered hoppers parked on the wye.

Late that night I set up camp on the rim of a geological formation in Nevada known locally as "The Sump". The following morning I launched a rocket there and got some great pics of this interesting and rugged terrain. Also caught and photographed a horned lizard.

Later I explored the ruins of a small mine and an old stone rancher's cabin. The corral next to the cabin had a loading ramp made from spiral-wound, riveted steel pipes! From there I headed over to the Silver Peak area, and spent several hours searching for the rocket and camera I lost last year. Still no luck. However, I did find a lot of incredible Indian petroglyphs! These were all in excellent condition with no sign of tampering or vandalism.

That evening I returned to the Fish Lake Valley area and set up camp within the Sump as lightning flashed in the distance. I launched two more rockets there the next morning. One was a two-stager, however the second stage failed to ignite. The altimeter safely deployed the chutes and prevented a crash. While packing up, another little horned lizard wandered into camp and I took his picture. Then I placed him near some ants and he immediately started gulping them down.

After refueling in Dyer, NV I drove north and explored several mining areas which I'd never visited before. These were mostly disappointing, with little of interest remaining. Then I stopped in at Mina, NV. This was a railroad town in the days of the Carson & Colorado Railroad (later the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge, aka "Slim Princess"). Now it's a sparsely populated relic on Highway 95 with several interesting old buildings.

Farther north I took a side trip into the Volcano Peak mining area. Here I found a wooden cabin, several dugouts and powder bunkers, and a huge wooden ore bin. The trail leading in and out of this area passes through a rugged canyon, and there I launched another rocket which obtained a good shot of the colorful hills.

The next town I came to was Gabbs, a very remote little community with a huge modern mining complex. The chief ore here is brucite, a magnesium ore. As the sun set, I briefly checked out the site of Downieville. A few crumbling stone walls and some mine shafts are all that remain of this ghost town.

That night I camped at the site of an old tungsten mine, and launched a couple rockets there in the morning. In one of the aerial pics, you can see the ruins of the original mine on the east side of the hill, and the remains of a somewhat newer mine on the west side of the hill.

Continuing north, I visited the sites of Phonolite, the Highland Mine, and the Buffalo Hump Mine before reaching the pavement of Highway 722. I finally found gas at Middlegate, NV along Highway 50, and also sold a couple of my aerial photos to some of the locals there. Then it was east to Austin, NV.

Austin is a beautiful old mining town in central Nevada with a lot of historic buildings and structures in various conditions. Some have been well-maintained, some are still occupied and some are falling apart. A huge brick church is in the process of restoration. This town has two or three gas stations and several restaurants, but no grocery store! The locals have to drive over a hundred miles to buy groceries.

After spending a couple hours photographing many of the buildings in Austin, I turned south through the Reese River Valley. Eventually I came to the near-ghost town of Ione, NV. Only a handful of people still live in this former mining town. I continued south to the ruins of the Cloverdale Ranch, which has some fine old stone and wood structures.

Another morning, another rocket launch, this time in the Klondike Pass region. Next stop was Goldfield, a town south of Tonopah, NV. In its prime in 1907, Goldfield was the largest city in Nevada and home to over 30,000 people. Now only a few hundred people live there. Two fires and a flash flood wiped out much of the town over the years, but numerous historic buildings remain. Old mines surround the town as well as a few which remain active on a small scale.

Most interesting was the wooden passenger coach and two Dodge railcars from the defunct Bullfrog-Goldfield Railroad currently stored at the site of that railroad's former freight depot and repair yard!

Further south I visited another former mining town, Goldpoint. This near-ghost has only a handful of people still living there, and is one of the most well-preserved ghost towns I've seen. It is also the closest to most people's idea of a stereotypical Western ghost town, with its many intact buildings, wooden boardwalks, and classic false-front stores and saloons. There are also several very interesting mines nearby as well as the ruins of a large mill. I hope to eventually model some of these structures for my outdoor model railroad.

I visited a few smaller mines beyond Goldpoint, including the Dunfee and Silver Moon mines. Pressing southward, I checked out the mining ruins at the site of Pioneer, NV. Here I found several large wooden ore bins, ruins of a stamp mill, the remains of a large steam powered hoist, and other relics. I also managed to launch a rocket here and got a pretty good aerial shot of the area.

By evening I had crossed over into California and came to Shoshone, near Death Valley. In the small store there I picked up a cool video: "The Great Desert Railroad Race". Using stills, archival film footage, and recreated scenes, it tells about the construction and history of the Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad and the Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad. It also has some info about the Tecopa Railroad and other shortlines in the Death Valley region. The recreated scenes were shot using the steam train of the Nevada Northern Railway Museum in Ely, NV. I highly recommend this video to train fans and desert history buffs. (www.goldcreekfilms.com)

My last night of the trip was spent at a place called Sheephole Camp in the Mojave desert. I made one last launch there the following morning before heading home. It was a dual launch, and in one frame you can just see the second rocket rising up out of the smoke from the first rocket. Sadly, the second rocket suffered a deployment failure and did a lawndart on a large boulder -- the only rocketry loss of the entire trip.

All in all, a very enjoyable time!

Ray,

I don't have words sufficient to match the beauty of your photos. Truly magnificent as always. Thankyou again for taking the time to share these.

With regard to the rocketry photos, the double liftoff is unbelievable, and the apogee shots of the various landscapes are mind boggling. I especially like the volcano canyon.

The mine photos are stupendous. My favorites are the Rickety shack unlikely to be here in a year, and the riveted pipe. I never even knew pipe was made like that. And your photo of it is a true work of art.

The car photos are unreal, especially the one with the folding chair next to the car. I just kept wondering what combination of circumstances could have led to the two being there, in that arrangement, and each now reduced to nothing but metal. Really weird and wonderful.

As always, Ray, incredible unique images that stimulate the mind. Really amazing stuff. Thankyou so much for posting them.

And as to some of the other amazing stuff you do, any updates on In-ko-pah Railroad?

Thanks Gus! A lot of planning goes into these trips, especially for the launch sites which are all scouted out and selected well in advance. So it's nice to see appreciation for the end results.

As for my railroad project, there hasn't been a lot of progress lately mainly due to concentrating on preparation for the trip. Now that I'm back and getting caught up on everything else, I'll be getting into it again. I still have some rock work to finish, and a lot of trestles to build before I can get the rest of the track put in. Once those things are all done I'll be able to start on the buildings and mines.

If you haven't seen it yet, the pics of my outdoor railroad are here:

https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=3009006&a=32116967

Beautiful photographs and they remind me of the time I spent at Fallon N.A.S. bombing range where they would drop us off in the middle of the desert by CH53 and we would hike all day looking for un-exploded ordnance for the EOD boys to detonate. We would run across mine area's like that all the time and I might have been to some of those same places, this would have been around 1989 and sadly I don't remember much of the surrounding town names. There was a nice brothel just outside of Fallon though! :)

With regard to the rocketry photos, the double liftoff is unbelievable...

I forgot to mention, the double launch shots are incredibly difficult to obtain. I keep hoping to get a good clear shot of another rocket at a higher altitude, but it hasn't happened yet despite dozens of attempts over the years.

The three most recent attempts looked perfect from ground level, with one rocket taking off just slightly ahead of the other, and the second following close behind and on the same heading. But in each case, the lead rocket happened to turn just slightly, blocking view of the chase rocket. The pic you mentioned is the only shot from the three flights where you can see the chase rocket at all, and I had to crop it pretty close to make it large enough to notice.

So far the best dual launch shot I've gotten was at LDRS 20, with a large Patriot model just coming off the pad. Second best was a mass launch of M powered rockets at PlasterBlaster a few years ago.

Ray, I've always been fascinated with the west and enjoy the many trip reports you post. It's like reading another chapter of "Ray's Ghost Town Adventures." The rocketry element is really cool too! Each trip report has a lot of great description with terrific photos to boot. The mixture of aerial and ground photos make for a nice round photo report. I know this is a highly recreational activity for you, but have you ever had any of these images or text published in a non-rocketry magazine for compensation? I don't know if it's common for the average weekend warrior out west to take those sort of trips.

I find most of the areas you explore to be creepy. :surprised: Do you ever get the "willies" when your set up for camp? I'd be the city slicker with the pistol under my pillow asleep in the reclined driver's seat.

As always, nice work and thank you for taking the time to share this trip report.

I find most of the areas you explore to be creepy. :surprised: Do you ever get the "willies" when your set up for camp? I'd be the city slicker with the pistol under my pillow asleep in the reclined driver's seat.
That's funny. I feel the same way, but about being in a city. I have no problem whatsoever being out somewhere as remote as the places Ray goes. Probably has to do with the fact that I grew up in a rural area and spent much of my time as a kid by myself, roaming around outdoors "exploring".

Ray, I've always been fascinated with the west and enjoy the many trip reports you post. It's like reading another chapter of "Ray's Ghost Town Adventures." The rocketry element is really cool too! Each trip report has a lot of great description with terrific photos to boot. The mixture of aerial and ground photos make for a nice round photo report.

Thanks. Unfortunately this will be the last trip report to include any mention of rocketry. Apparently it confuses too many people, and the last thing we need is some Darwin Award candidate going out and launching whatever they want, wherever they want just because they have the mistaken idea that I do the same.

I know this is a highly recreational activity for you, but have you ever had any of these images or text published in a non-rocketry magazine for compensation? I don't know if it's common for the average weekend warrior out west to take those sort of trips.

Not yet, and at this point I'm not sure I'd want to, for the same reason given above. It's proving far too easy for certain people to draw faulty conclusions from even the most innocuous stuff.

Heheh! No, it's pretty rare that being alone in the boonies ever bothers me. The more remote the area, the safer I tend to feel since there are less people around. Walking through a parking garage at the mall is much more unnerving due to the very real danger of robbery, carjacking, assault, etc.

Of course there are other concerns in remote areas, such as snake bite, accidental injury, car break-downs, etc. But renting a satellite phone for the trip helps alleviate those concerns.

Thanks. Unfortunately this will be the last trip report to include any mention of rocketry. Apparently it confuses too many people, and the last thing we need is some Darwin Award candidate going out and launching whatever they want, wherever they want just because they have the mistaken idea that I do the same.

That's truly a shame. I recall people giving you a hard time and questioning your activities via some of the other forums. :rolleyes: I sure hope your website continues to reflect images from trips. Heck, even without the rocketry mention I still enjoy reading about your trips to the abandoned mines. I photograph for a local magazine and much of what I do encompasses day trips and local places of interest. Your format and thoroughness is right inline with that of a magazine article.

Heheh! No, it's pretty rare that being alone in the boonies ever bothers me. The more remote the area, the safer I tend to feel since there are less people around. Walking through a parking garage at the mall is much more unnerving due to the very real danger of robbery, carjacking, assault, etc.

Of course there are other concerns in remote areas, such as snake bite, accidental injury, car break-downs, etc. But renting a satellite phone for the trip helps alleviate those concerns.

Having been a victim of a mugging (twice), I certainly agree with your point. I guess my imagination gets carried away with things like actual ghosts, UFOs, or getting bitten by some venomous creature. Of course, I wouldn't be too upset if a UFO abducted me these days. :D

Good stuff. Thanks again.

Back